Old 04-25-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Some people just shouldn’t own a boat!

If this is not allowed, please delete.
Thought it would be a good discussion on insurance, boat ownership responsibility, squatting, etc.
Squatting and insurance fraud in Jupiter, FL?
This was posted elsewhere.

“Here's the time line:

Thur 4/18 pm: to my knowledge my boat is is out anchored and floating(im in NC 700 miles away on family emergency)

Fri 10am: i call and purchase progressive insurance effective immediately because i hear storms are coming, and tell them im concerned thats why im buying the policy.
(only had the boat less than a month, had not registeted or bought ins yet had 30 days, so titled it only in my name)

Fri Pm/sun am: my boat is evidently driven by the storms and beached.

SATERDAY PM a friend checks on my boat, sends me this photo and tells me boat is beached.

SUNAY AM: I file claim (just wanting it towed out and reanchored, ('sign/glide)

SUNDAY 10:00pm jupiter marine police issue me citation for $145 in fines (that i receive today 4-24)

During this time 'progressive' has not sent an adjuster yet and is still 'reviewing' to determine if it will be covered, and it has been subject to vandalism for almost a week now while they decide to cover the claim or not!

Thoughts/opinions please

Wednesday i call progressive adjuster and he says their 'reviewing the claim' STILL! While the boat remains subject to damage/vandalism”

For some background, Check out this guys you tube he is a squatter and it just shows he would have canceled his insurance as soon as the storm was over he is a scammer
Attached Images

Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Thats funny, I saw this on fb this morning and wrote a long post on personal responsibility, then deleted it. I always get pissed and show my ass on these forums. I am working on renewing my insurance this year and my premiums for liability only went from 1200/year to 1600/year. I am currently shopping around, but this story really pissed me off.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Thats funny, I saw this on fb this morning and wrote a long post on personal responsibility, then deleted it. I always get pissed and show my ass on these forums. I am working on renewing my insurance this year and my premiums for liability only went from 1200/year to 1600/year. I am currently shopping around, but this story really pissed me off.
Some of the comments are priceless....especially from the guy himself.
My reply was.....There’s nothing wrong with buying a cheap boat to live aboard when you don’t have a lot of money; however, the responsibilities of boat ownership are the same whether you have a dump of a boat or a mega million dollar yacht.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #4
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Hey Star. I saw that post on Facebook this morning. His insurance carrier is almost certainly holding an executive-level review to see if they are even going to accept the policy or rescind it. I would be surprised if they offer coverage to this guy.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:44 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohnEasley View Post
Hey Star. I saw that post on Facebook this morning. His insurance carrier is almost certainly holding an executive-level review to see if they are even going to accept the policy or rescind it. I would be surprised if they offer coverage to this guy.
I can’t imagine they would cover it...isn’t there usually a waiting period?
I’d also be curious to know if there were any other boats that had issues or damage during these “storms”.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #6
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
I can’t imagine they would cover it...isn’t there usually a waiting period?
I’d also be curious to know if there were any other boats that had issues or damage during these “storms”.
Typically, there isn't a waiting period. An agent "binds" the policy and then Underwriting will review the details to confirm they're accepting the risk and terms. Often all of that can be completed in 24 or so hours.

This guy's claim would be considered "loss on new business." That's a universal red flag. Since his company states they are "reviewing the claim," it's likely in committee to see if they want to rescind the policy and refund the premium.

A beer says they'll back out of the policy. It'll be interesting to see if they refer this to the state fraud bureau.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #7

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Rain Dog
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Marine insurance is so terrible. I have been waiting for some company to realize they can make a killing by selling insurance at lower rates to responsible boat owners. Marine insurance does not seem to have even a basic interest in evaluating risk. That seems insane to me when you sell insurance.
Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
If this is not allowed, please delete.
Thought it would be a good discussion on insurance, boat ownership responsibility, squatting, etc.
Squatting and insurance fraud in Jupiter, FL?
This was posted elsewhere.

“Here's the time line:

Thur 4/18 pm: to my knowledge my boat is is out anchored and floating(im in NC 700 miles away on family emergency)

Fri 10am: i call and purchase progressive insurance effective immediately because i hear storms are coming, and tell them im concerned thats why im buying the policy.
(only had the boat less than a month, had not registeted or bought ins yet had 30 days, so titled it only in my name)

Fri Pm/sun am: my boat is evidently driven by the storms and beached.

SATERDAY PM a friend checks on my boat, sends me this photo and tells me boat is beached.

SUNAY AM: I file claim (just wanting it towed out and reanchored, ('sign/glide)

SUNDAY 10:00pm jupiter marine police issue me citation for $145 in fines (that i receive today 4-24)

During this time 'progressive' has not sent an adjuster yet and is still 'reviewing' to determine if it will be covered, and it has been subject to vandalism for almost a week now while they decide to cover the claim or not!

Thoughts/opinions please

Wednesday i call progressive adjuster and he says their 'reviewing the claim' STILL! While the boat remains subject to damage/vandalism”

For some background, Check out this guys you tube he is a squatter and it just shows he would have canceled his insurance as soon as the storm was over he is a scammer

This made me laugh- and a bit sad, because this reeks of irresponsibility.

We don't know if this is a liability only policy or includes hull coverage, nor is there enough information to make any type of informed decision.

In any case, CJE is correct- this is indeed a situation that likely generate a review for fraud. At the core, if the contract is agreed upon by both parties, then coverage should be afforded- but the insurance company has the right, and more important, the duty, to investigate for fraud.

The insuring company was notified Sunday AM, and the general response time is as soon as possible (within 24 hours). Clearly there is a concern about coverage, otherwise the claims process should have progressed further than reported.

The insured had the boat for 30 days, which is adequate time for coverage to be acquired- even if a survey was required.

No sympathy from me.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #9
Guru

This is what he used to live on!
Attached Thumbnails
123C63DB-C79A-474F-A1AA-BE47FE0C87C2.jpeg  
Old 04-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
And to think, this is how bad the guy looks if you believe one word he's typed, which I don't.

to my knowledge my boat is is out anchored and floating

Then followed by him calling the following day because a storm was coming. No. Someone told him the boat had floated ashore and then he called. Storm coming? What about all the other storms over the 30 days he had owned it?

Purchased immediately? On the basis of a photo or what? How did he even describe the unregistered boat.

Then what makes him think the insurer's job is to then secure his boat and look after it and make sure no vandalism? How would they even be able to tell if it was vandalized?

He files a claim wanting it towed and re-anchored? Must have a special towing and re-anchoring clause in his policy. And no adjuster in 24 hours, oh my what a disgrace, that for his major claim there wasn't an adjuster there in minutes.

He omits telling us what he'd paid for the policy and how.

I hope he keeps calling this to the attention of many such as local law enforcement. I hope he keeps pursuing his claim. Why? Because I'd love seeing him charged with attempted insurance fraud on top of his claim denied.

Of course ticketed for failure to register would be nice too. I'm sure the only thing Jupiter police are worried about is somehow them ending up with the boat.

He's a crook. Not just a poor man with a derelict boat, but a crook.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And to think, this is how bad the guy looks if you believe one word he's typed, which I don't.

to my knowledge my boat is is out anchored and floating

Then followed by him calling the following day because a storm was coming. No. Someone told him the boat had floated ashore and then he called. Storm coming? What about all the other storms over the 30 days he had owned it?

Purchased immediately? On the basis of a photo or what? How did he even describe the unregistered boat.

Then what makes him think the insurer's job is to then secure his boat and look after it and make sure no vandalism? How would they even be able to tell if it was vandalized?

He files a claim wanting it towed and re-anchored? Must have a special towing and re-anchoring clause in his policy. And no adjuster in 24 hours, oh my what a disgrace, that for his major claim there wasn't an adjuster there in minutes.

He omits telling us what he'd paid for the policy and how.

I hope he keeps calling this to the attention of many such as local law enforcement. I hope he keeps pursuing his claim. Why? Because I'd love seeing him charged with attempted insurance fraud on top of his claim denied.

Of course ticketed for failure to register would be nice too. I'm sure the only thing Jupiter police are worried about is somehow them ending up with the boat.

He's a crook. Not just a poor man with a derelict boat, but a crook.
He said his first call this morning was going to be to the police to complain that his first notification about his boat being beached was a citation.

He’s been having a go fund me going to try to get money to first buy the boat and then to buy a motor.

He said he’s been “sailing” around the world for the last 6 yrs on that raft doing missionary work and says his plan, once he learns to actually sail a real sailboat, is to continue on his journey.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
He said his first call this morning was going to be to the police to complain that his first notification about his boat being beached was a citation.
But Saturday night he was sent a photo and Sunday morning he filed an insurance claim, according to what he wrote. The citation wasn't issued until 10:00 PM Sunday and he didn't receive it until Wednesday. So, clearly lying again.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
The entire thing wreaks of some sort of entitlement. The story doesn't even sound logical.

1) He bought a boat, which appeared to be tied to a private dock is a canal community. He took possession 'and was asked to leave'. Who would assume that you would remain on the dock with the boat??

2) He became grounded and was towed over to a neighbors dock. (That is kind of the stranger who appears to have nothing to do with this). He is eventually asked to leave that dock because it has been leased and the leasee wants to occupy the dock.

3) He is moved across the canal to another neighbor. This neighbor sees the tarps, the state of the boat and asks him to leave as well.

It's here that he starts to talk about the lack of compassion and lack of religious morals for turning out a man in need.

4) Another neighbor tows him (gladly, I'm sure) out of the neighborhood. He is placed with what appear to be other full time residents at the mouth of the canal community.

5) He then comments that the boat owners in the canal community rip in and out on plane waking the liveaboard anchorage. (This is, unfortunately all too common. We get that a lot anywhere we anchor (and we're short time transients who don't look like a derelict boat).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cleveland
Vessel Name: Irishland
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
Someone needs to inform this fella that the 60s are over!

Cheers

H.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #15

City: Pnw
Vessel Name: SARAH TOO
Vessel Model: 40’ beer can
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Dog View Post
Marine insurance is so terrible. I have been waiting for some company to realize they can make a killing by selling insurance at lower rates to responsible boat owners. Marine insurance does not seem to have even a basic interest in evaluating risk. That seems insane to me when you sell insurance.
How would they do that?
Sea Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #16
Guru

He just commented and said he just heard from insurance co and thinks it’s all good...that they’re going to pay.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #17
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
He just commented and said he just heard from insurance co and thinks it’s all good...that they’re going to pay.
Actually, it will be the rest of us paying.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Crystal Beach, Fl
Vessel Name: Salt Wife
Vessel Model: 44' Endeavor Trawler Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Actually, it will be the rest of us paying.
Exactly...
Scottbwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:16 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Probably easier for them to total his boat and pay him the $100.

Did people actually contribute to his Go Fund Me?

I would suggest they read his facebook before paying. May change their mind.

What damage does he allege?
Old 04-25-2019, 09:05 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
This reminds me of a reality TV show. You have to look at the guy and wonder if he's 3 French fries short or a Happy Meal, delusional, or just a bad scam artist.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote