Old 05-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Some people....

Sitting here in my saloon whipping some lines and drinking a beer and I hear a bunch of angry yelling. I finally look up and two guys are standing on the dock at the marina across the 45’ fairway right behind my boat. Another is acting as spectator not wanting to get involved. It gets increasingly heated until one guy knocks the other into the water. Yeah, stupid.

The guy in the water has an only inflatable on, and it partially inflates. The water is probably 50 degrees and the guy is old, fat, and flailing. No way he was going to climb up on the dock and they don’t have emergency ladders. I finally step out on my cockpit and yell at the guy on the dock that he needs to fish the other guy out of the water before I call the police. I think they finally realize they have a situation so the two guys struggle to get the wet one up on the dock. If they didn’t, I would have had to throw him a line and pull him onto my Marina’s dock.

Turns out the wet one is a boat bum living on a derelict anchored in the harbor. He has been coming into this marina to use the porta-potty and use it for shore access. He has been told he is not allowed on the dock previously but frankly is an *******. Still, ******* or not you don’t risk drowning them no matter how much you might like to.

Finally, the legit marina tenants got smart and called the police. Hopefully they will get it straightened out. I also hope the guy that did the pushing doesn’t face any repercussions. As long as the guy didn’t drown, I really could care less about his wet phone ect....

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
He could probably be charged with assault.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Crazy but about once a year the same happens here or similar not the knock them in the water but the verbally fighting and pushing when they start trashing our shower rooms
Old 05-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post

That is certainly what the wet one was shouting as he was dripping on the dock. He looked to me for support, I told him all I cared about was that he didn’t drown. Three officers showed up and are speaking with all involved.

The guy that did the shoving just called over and thanked me for speaking up. Seems to me I shouted at him to pull the guy out of the water or I was going to call the police so maybe he feel that knowing an outside party was watching helped diffuse it somewhat.

The police seem to have left with no arrests so hopefully it was worked out.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
He could have died from electric shock drowning.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
He could have died from electric shock drowning.

Not in salt water. Bigger concern would be cold water immersion heart attack.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #7

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
I also find it disturbing that the inflatable only partially inflated.
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #8
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Not in salt water. Bigger concern would be cold water immersion heart attack.
Good point, especially for an old dude.

Electricity is still a concern;

Quote:
Be on the lookout in freshwater lakes and brackish marinas. In salt water, current is likely to go around a swimmer — unless he grabs onto an electrically charged swim ladder or other metal object attached to a boat with a leaking current.
https://www.yachtingmagazine.com/3-ways-save-your-life
Old 05-20-2018, 08:08 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrupp View Post
I also find it disturbing that the inflatable only partially inflated.

Likely the guy had never checked it and I’m sure the canister is decades beyond its expiry date.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-20-2018, 11:53 PM   #10
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Geesh Dave, you guys over there on the west side of the state get all the fun.

Just kidding, of course. Good on ya for getting involved. You might have saved the old buzzard's life.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:06 AM   #11
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
No doubt the marina staff remain in the office, oblivious to the trespassers. Better to call the cops if the marina staff aren't responsive to one's complaint. Perhaps, photograph the transgressor and post his face as a wanted person. No hitting/pushing!
Old 05-21-2018, 01:34 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
No doubt the marina staff remain in the office, oblivious to the trespassers. Better to call the cops if the marina staff aren't responsive to one's complaint. Perhaps, photograph the transgressor and post his face as a wanted person. No hitting/pushing!

Small PNW marina. No “office” or “staff”. I think in the future the marina tenants will call the police right away.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:

The police seem to have left with no arrests so hopefully it was worked out.
I suspect the option became..."Charge me with assault and I'll charge you with trespassing and theft of services." Claws get pulled in and veryone then decides to go their own way.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #14
Guru

City: gulf coast
The marina should lock the showers.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:09 AM   #15

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I think he SHOULD be charged with assault. Once that old, fat guy with the barely inflating life vest was in the 50' water, his life was in serious jeopardy. Losing your cool enough to do that is bad. Police should have been called before it got to that point. DHays, you probably saved that old guys life by prompting those other two to get him out of the water ASAP. Good on you for not being a bystander.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:40 AM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
It was assault. Clearly. I'm very disturbed by those who think might makes right and that they can retaliate against a non-violent offense with violence. Probably the only reason he wasn't charged was the victim chose not to press charges. Rest assured had the victim died, the guy on the dock would have been charged with his death.

As to whether it was a crime of trespassing, depends on how marked and whether previously trespass warning issued and other factors. I hope a trespass warning was issued. I also have an issue with those who consider themselves to have some entitlement to the private property of others.

Is there clear signage on the docks and on the porta-potti? I'd never heard of a marina with a porta-potti.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:34 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
It was assault. Clearly. I'm very disturbed by those who think might makes right and that they can retaliate against a non-violent offense with violence. Probably the only reason he wasn't charged was the victim chose not to press charges. Rest assured had the victim died, the guy on the dock would have been charged with his death.

As to whether it was a crime of trespassing, depends on how marked and whether previously trespass warning issued and other factors. I hope a trespass warning was issued. I also have an issue with those who consider themselves to have some entitlement to the private property of others.

Is there clear signage on the docks and on the porta-potti? I'd never heard of a marina with a porta-potti.

Apparently the trespasser had been given multiple warnings and notices not to trespass. As to porta-potties, recall your PNW/BC cruising experience. Some marinas are really nice (like Arabella's in Gig Harbor) and others are marginal at best. My marina is pretty nice, but West Shore Marina right behind my boat is pretty basic. They have power, water, and parking (with a couple porta-potties). That is about it. Their advantage is that they are less expensive.

I think the trespasser would have been fished out of the water eventually without my intervention, but bad things can happen fast in cold water. Hence my concern.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Likely the guy had never checked it and I’m sure the canister is decades beyond its expiry date.
There are many thousands of expired inflatables out there, just like expired fire extinguishers and flares. They do put people at risk.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #19
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Porta Potty

Porta potty

NOT a Porta Potty...

Old 05-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #20
Guru

But doesn't porta potty #2, just have porta potty #1 inside it? I'm trying to remember if we saw any but I doubt it at the marinas we stopped. We never use the marina restrooms so might not have noticed.