Old 11-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
Doc
Guru

Sold Boat, Bought RV?

Has anyone sold their boat, bought an RV and later came running back to boating with their tail between their legs?

Or just bought an RV and been sorry you did it?

Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
RE: Sold Boat, Bought RV?

Doc:* Here are parts of*2 emails from Hobo's previous owners.* The first was within six months and the second was 4 years later.

...We ended up buying an RV to get out of the summer heat in AZ. Perfect timing....with the price of gas going through the roof. Oh well, we may just park it someplace nice and use it as a summer cabin.
Overall, we are having a good time. Doesn't compare at all to sitting on the hook in a remote bay in Alaska....

...We really miss her and the lifestyle...

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

We haven't done it but we became friends with a couple who had lived full time aboard a sail boat for many years and now full-timed in a motorhome.* They really liked it that weather rarely prevented them from moving and that they could just pull over if conditions deteriorated below their comfort level.* They also liked it that "navigation" was less risky but were less enthusiastic that they had to go*the way*the roads led as opposed to charting their own course.

Though they miss sailing around the Caribean and Gulf, they have no plans to return as they near the 10 year mark.

Gary
VAtrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
Sold Boat, Bought RV?

A sailboating couple we've cruised with who have been active in boats for a couple of decades at least (progressing from day sailors up to cruising sailboats) sold their boat two years ago and bought a trailer and pickup. They have very much gotten into the RV thing and don't seem to have any desire to get back into boating, or at least boat ownership. Part of the reason they sold the boat and got the trailer was because of the increasing difficulty the wife had with getting around on the sailboat. She had double knee replacement a year or so ago which helped a lot but scrambling around a sailboat deck and up and down into the cabin just wasn't in the cards anymore. They had sailed all over this area, up to Desolation Sound and the Broughtons and then taken their 30' sailboat to SE Alaska and back on a five-month trip. So it's not like they hadn't gotten their money and time's worth out of boating.

The RV thing has zero appeal to me or my wife, so I don't see us ever getting into that at all when the time comes to get out of boating, if it ever does. We've flown the entire region between Seattle and Juneau, AK in the floatplane looking down on all these wonderful bays and anchorages. So we'd like to duplicate these travels at water level if we ever get the time. We both love driving and road trips, but the RV park thing leaves us cold. Neither one of us can imagine anything less exciting.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 19th of November 2011 07:26:01 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:30 AM   #5
FF
Guru

Sold Boat, Bought RV?

Both are very similar.

For the anchor out folks the concept of a camp ground will be very unsetteling . NO PRIVACY

For the marina to marina cruisers campgrounds will seem fine.

The same difference exists in cruising lifestyle.

Boondocking is what campers call free living , and the camper will frequently have the same gear and equippment as the anchoring boat cruiser.

One big advantage of camping is compared to boating its almost FREE!

Our bus conversion is for sale $15,000 about the cost of a dink and windlass.

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/2693046920

-- Edited by FF on Sunday 20th of November 2011 05:32:31 AM

-- Edited by FF on Sunday 20th of November 2011 07:08:39 AM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00545.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	8597  
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:40 AM   #6

Having sold an RV after traveling 70,000 miles around the US and Canada to get back to boat travel, I can say that traveling the Alcan is a lot easier in an RV! There are many similarities but you get to see different stuff.

Dave
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #7
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Sold Boat, Bought RV?

Yes...but no tail between my legs.* When I retired and got into the commercial side of boating...I was on the water at least 200-250 days a year.* I was getting a water fix so owning a boat was not a big thing...but not necessarily a cruising fix.

After a trip to Alaska where my wife and I and another couple RVed around Alaska...my wife said what about an RV so we could visit our landlocked friends.* Sold the boat and bought a big truck (whick I needed) and a fifth wheel.** We used it extensively for 5 years...even living in it full time in our driveway when our house was renovated.* It was very nice (new as I couldn't find what I wanted used) and 30'...nicer inside and more room than any boat I ever owned up to my 40 trawler...plus it got almost 10 miles to the gallon...also much better than any boat AND the trawler.

The concepts between the two are similar with many pros and cons with both.* I just like the water better and the ability to anchor on more of a whim than I could pll over and find a campground/park.

If I were wealthier I would have both.* Use one while I had the other in the shop/yard while somebody else did the maintenance...

-- Edited by psneeld on Sunday 20th of November 2011 07:14:31 AM
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

We are doing both.* When Alaska's at it's worst weather wise, we spend time traveling in our Camper Van Conversion.* One of our favorite things to do is to wait for the biggest storms of the year to go to the beach.* We really enjoy watching the huge waves tearing at the beach.* It's also educational, as I always envision myself being in a boat in those conditions, so studying near shore wave patterns can be a real learning experience.* Mostly what I've learned is that I never want to be in the the position of having to cross a bar under storm conditions.* Many years ago when I lived and boated in the Gulf of the Farlons, during big storms I use to drive to the Marin Headlands to study the wave patterns.* It was easy to see that the only reasonable way to enter S.F. Bay when there were big swells and a big Ebb was to stay in the deeper water shipping channel.* Just outside the channel the waves were out of control. Even then, I've seen big ships having trouble holding a course that kept them in the channel during storms.

The cost of fuel for the van is almost a non issue. Despite only getting 10mpg, that's 10 times better than the boat.* We almost never stay at orginized campgrounds so camping's free, and a days worth of fuel works out to be about the same as a hotel room for the night, and our room is always where we want it, as there are few hotels where we like to camp.*

If we ever sell the boat, I'd imagine we will continue to travel by RV, but for now doing both is great..................Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #9

FF,

I fixed your link, sounds like a great rig....is delivery included in price?

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/rvs/2693046920.html
wescoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
Doc
Guru

One of the reasons that I belong to a yacht club is to be able to use the facilities ashore. They are in most cases much nicer than a public marina. What are campgrounds like on this?
Old 11-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

We've lived in a converted bus full time for 4+ years now and extended time for probably 15 years.* I avoid most campground washrooms because our onboard facilities are vastly superior.* That comparison will depend on the quality of the RV - some RV washrooms are pretty pathetic and most RVs don't carry the kind of fresh and gray water that a bus conversion can.* Watching my neighbours in campgrounds I'd say its close to a 50/50 split between those that use their own rig's facilities and those that use the campground's.*

A lot of people will shower in the campground facilities because the onboard shower is so inadequate.* A little 6 gallon RV water heater doesn't allow for much hot shower time.

bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
Guru

We have both and both have their good parts. Winters in the PNW can be windy and rainy. It's 7:30 pm and 79 degrees in San Antonio TX. My body feels much better warm than cold. It was 72 at 8:30 this morning here, it was 23 at a friends house at home. If you like the cold and wet then you wouldn't like snowbirding.

We will spend about 7 months on this trip in the motorhome and then 3 months on the boat this summer. The boat is nice because you can stop almost anywhere and drop the hook. There are RV parks, state parks, or Elks Clubs in almost every town. Elks Clubs have a system very much like reciprocal moorage. They range from full hookups and 54 spaces in Ottine Tx for $12 per night down to a parking lot you can stay in for free at other places.

My motorhome has a hydro-hot water heating system very much like my Webasto on the boat, except that the domestic hot water exchanger is efficient enough to run constant hot water until you run out of diesel or water. It also heats by electric for small domestic use like dishwashing. With 4 slideouts, the square footage of the 43' MH is much larger than our 40' boat. We carry 100 gallons of fresh water in the MH and 245 in the boat. We can hold all that water in our gray and black water MH tanks. 2 of us live comfortably with that capacity for a week between dumps and fills.

State Park fees at our current location are $120 per week, with water and electric at each site and a dump down the road. The previous TX park we were at was $18 per night. There are also daily entrance fees in Texas but a $70 annual pass pays for itself in the first week. We can see the neighbors lights from our campsite but we can't hear them talk so privacy isn't an issue. I've never been in an RV park that they parked rigs end to end and 6 feet apart on the dock side and a fenders width apart on the other side, so I can't really speak to the RV park lacking privacy. The closest we've been was at Disneyland where there was only 10 feet between rigs but we were at an angle so our windows did not line up with the neighbors windows. We've certainly never had to raft next to another MH and walk across their rv to get to ours, so I think privacy in land RV's is often better.

Traffic is often cited as a minus for land based RV's, but being retired allows you to drive after rush hour and be parked before it starts again. Occasionally road work or accidents slow traffic, but then Friday night at the Chittenden Locks can cause delays too.

If you can do both, I would encourage it.

Ken
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #13
Scraping Paint

This is how a college friend and I "RV'd" the Alcan, the entire Yukon Territory, and the Cassiar highway between Watson Lake, YT and Terrace, BC. At that time, you needed a rig like this to negotiate a fair amount of all the roads up there including the Alcan (other than in Alaska where it was already paved).* Today you can drive a Ford Focus with bald tires the whole way between Dawson Creek, BC and Fairbanks without a hiccup. Don't know about the Cassiar, though. It may still be mostly dirt, gravel, and rock.

First two shots were taken on a couple of the better conditioned sections of the Alcan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p1050596.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	8607   Click image for larger version

Name:	p1050597.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	8608   Click image for larger version

Name:	p1050601.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	8609  
Old 11-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Charles,

I did'nt know you were boatless! This time of year it would be a blessing for many. I saw your article on the deck job in PMM. Good job Charles. I've been trying to make the Dease/Cassiar highway for years and almost certain not to make it next year either. Having been a truck driver for over 10 years of my life I'd fit into the RV cruising real good but the fuel consumption puts me off and most anchorages beat the hell out of most roadside stops *..big time. We intend to do the Cassiar in our Suburban. I want to drive to Maine too. Want to see those old lobster boats and small wood boat shops. They have boat stuff we just do'nt see at all (almost). Also at 71 after a week or two I'm ready to go home much of the time. And I do'nt see Marin camping on the Alcan these days either. We all could but how much fun would it be?
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
And I do'nt see Marin camping on the Alcan these days either.
*We would still be doing that if we weren't into 4 million other things.* But we wouldn't be using the Land Rover even though I still have it.* We'd use the Range Rover.* MUCH nicer ride.

My college friend and I did the Alcan several times, the first time in his BMW 1600 with $12 tires and the same Grumman canoe on top.* What we learned is that unless you've never done it, the Alcan is REALLY boring.* Just a strip of dirt--- now asphalt--- down between the trees.* There are some really pretty places on it, but for the most part it's a very boring drive.

That's one reason that on the trip when we went to the Yukon for five weeks*in my Land Rover which I shipped to California and back for the trip, we came home via the Cassiar Highway and Yellowhead Highway to Prince Rupert and took the ferry south.* The Cassiar, even if it's paved today, is a MUCH more interesting trip.* Particularly if you take the side trips to Telegraph Creek and the other one to Stewart and Hyder.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
Doc
Guru

Thanks everyone for the great information. Lots of food for thought.

My next step is to start looking at the various types of RV's. What I have seen so far that I like are a 24' B+ with a 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel and a couple of Class A's, A 40' Allegro Bus and a 40' Zepher, both with Cummin's diesels. If I go to an A my neighbor says that a tag axel is necessary for stability when you play among the 18 wheelers. That puts the price way on up there.

I would love to do the NW and Alaska by boat but Marin said that I was not invited.

The decision...another boat or an RV... is tough. We have cruised from Galveston to Booth Bay Harbor, and taken the rivers to Knoxville. We have never done the Great Lakes by boat so that is a pull factor for another boat.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #17

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34

Doc,

Some of the best cruising grounds anywhere on the Great Loop are the Trent Severn Canal through Canada, the Georgian Bay, the North Channel of Lake Huron, and the port cities on the east side of Lake Michigan (Charlevoix, Leland, Frankfort, Pen****er, Grand Haven and Spring Lake, Saugatuck etc).

The Sleeping Bear Dunes near Grand Traverse Bay were voted the most beautiful place in America recently on Good Morning America. I've included a picture I took from the Empire Trail.

I have owned three different motorhomes and traveled extensively. These places above are all wonderful to see and it would be very difficult to experience*in a motorhome.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p6280020.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	8648  
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #18
Scraping Paint

Thanks for posting that photo. It brings back good memories. I was a councilor one summer at a camp up the shore from the dunes. I taught canoeing. One of the things the camp did periodically was go out to South Manitou island for a giant, three-day capture the flag game. The councilors also got to take a week long canoeing/camping trip as a reward for dealing with the kids. The summer I was there we drove with the canoes to the end of the upper peninsula and then took the canoes on the passenger ferry out to Isle Royale for a week's canoeing and camping. Impressive place, that was. Had my first encounter with a moose on Isle Royale.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #19
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
superdiver wrote:
*So are you considering kepping the boat you have and adding an RV or gettting rid of the boat either way?*
Quote:
__________________________________________________ ____
Quote:
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that Doc has already sold his 42' NT.
Codger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #20
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Sold Boat, Bought RV?

what do you think if somebody came up with a amphibious trawler then you could do both. This one looks like it has a fly bridge.

Sd

-- Edited by skipperdude on Tuesday 22nd of November 2011 01:41:26 PM
Attached Images

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote