Old 12-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #1

Importing a boat from Canada

Our offer on a boat that is in Victoria was accepted.

What is the procedures for getting the boat back in the States (It was here until two years ago)

Howard
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -

Your best bet is probably to call the relevant state office and ask. Probably US Customs and the Washington State vehicle registration people would be the place to start. I believe the vehicle registration people they handle boat registration (my wife deals with all this with our two boats so I'm not that sure myself).

Actually, I'm sure all this is on the internet. Some places to start are http://boat.wa.gov/regulations.asp and https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-into-the-u.s.

First link are the Washington State regulations, second link are the US Customs regulations.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 23rd of December 2011 09:56:01 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
RE: Importing a boat from Canada

What state will the boat reside - WA will charge you a nearly 10% sales tax and OR none.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #4

Saw that stuff..

Being that the boat was built in Canada, then sold/registered in the USA for 14 years, and then brought back to Canada 2 years ago, I can't make heads or tails if the 1.5% import tariff will be due?

Wish I didn't have to pay sales tax either..
Old 12-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #5

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:
What state will the boat reside - WA will charge you a nearly 10% sales tax and OR none.
*Unfortunately Washington..
Old 12-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Quote:
Badger wrote:
Our offer on a boat that is in Victoria was accepted.

What is the procedures for getting the boat back in the States (It was here until two years ago)

Howard
It's a wise man who hires a customs broker to handle the paperwork for him.* If you are buying through a dealership, they can point you in the right direction and*some are also customs brokers.* It's the most difficult part of importing across the border if you don't do it every day.

Once you get it through customs and have the proper paperwork, it's a peice of cake.* Take the customs declaration to your*county auditors office along with the BC paperwork and your sales agreement.* If your paperwork is in order, they will order a title and issue a registration.**If you plan on documenting, then you will have to go through a documentation service.* The name escapes me, but there is one at 4th and Comercial Ave. in Anacortes.

Larry B
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #7

The we're not very creative with their name... Marine documentation services :biggrin: I was going to give them a call next week.

-- Edited by Badger on Friday 23rd of December 2011 10:28:29 PM

-- Edited by Badger on Friday 23rd of December 2011 10:29:02 PM
Old 12-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Badger wrote:
The we're not very creative with their name... Marine documentation services :biggrin: I was going to give them a call next week.

-- Edited by Badger on Friday 23rd of December 2011 10:28:29 PM

-- Edited by Badger on Friday 23rd of December 2011 10:29:02 PM
*That was too easy.* Phone book shows**(360) 299-3272.* Where do you plan on mooring her?*

Good Luck

Larry B
Old 12-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #9

Haven't decided between, Newport shores, carolon point/yarrow or Kenmore..

Kirkland would be closest easiest, Newport seems to be the easiest find covered if we decide to go that route and Kenmore the most affordable.. Kenmore and Newport seem to have slips available based on Craigslist..
Old 12-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
Guru

A lot of marina's with empty slips right now.* Just drive down R ave coming into Anacortes and look at the dry storage lots to your right.* Half of the local marina boats are on the hard now days!!* Many of them are for sale.

I guess times are tough all over.* Cape Sante Marina is in the middle of a $5 million dollar dock upgrade.* I wonder if they will be able to fill them all?

LB

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Saturday 24th of December 2011 10:13:14 AM
Old 12-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #11

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...

First start with the customs broker. Try to obtain the original US customs Entry Number, from the seller or previous owner, even if no duty was due the boat still had to be entered into the US. New boats built in Canada and Mexico do not have to pay import dituies along with certain other countries like Turkey, used boats are different, the customs broker can help you out. It is not likely there will be a duty.

Here in Florida we do some offshore closings, especially for non US residents, more than three miles out but less than 12 miles offshore. Three miles out is beyond Florida so sales tax is not due, but within 12 miles is still in the US. We want to stay inside the US so that any previous import duty paid such as on a trawler built in Taiwan or China remains valid. If the closing was outside the US such as the Bahamas or Canada the boat is considered as "exported" and if later it comes back to the US the duty is due again.

Having the US Customs Entry Number is important for imported boat owners when it is time to sell. It will be very hard to find on older boats, if you do not have the actaul number or date and place of entry, customs can not look it up. A few years ago I sold a Defever in Florida that was owned by a Canadian, the buyer's attorney insisted that the seller pay the US duty again, and he did pay it to insure the sale took place. It was not that expensive as the duty was based on the current value.

So try to have the Entry Number and if the duty was paid in the US do not sell the boat outside of the US if it might ever come back.
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote