Old 11-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #41
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
RE: Sold Boat, Bought RV?

Back in the days before telephones and at the dawn of electricity. An Indian reservation purchased a large carved figure of an Indian head to stand at the front entrance to the reservation when they ran the lighting to the sculpture I guess he (The Electrician) was the first person to wire a head for a reservation.

Now we use the cell.

Times have changed.

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #42
Doc
Guru

My wife and I are starting to feel like cell mates since we don't have a boat or an RV. I can only to to Wal Mart and Home Depot some many times a day. I am beginning to miss West Marine.

Further comparing boats to RV's I am curious about another issue. High engine hour boats can have high or low hours on the other critical systems such as the A/C, gen set, plumbing, transmission, etc. Depending upon the boat's history one sort of knows what to look for in terms of what might be getting worn out and what may have several years of good service left in it.

In a high milage diesel coach (say 80,000+ miles over 10 years) we would assume that the engine still has a lot of life left in it. But, what about the other things that are also getting heavy use ...wheel bearings, axels, steering components, gears?

Does one hire an RV surveyor?

Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #43
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:
*I guess he (The Electrician) was the first person to wire a head for a reservation.
Quote:
I've waited quite awhile for a reaction or two about SD's post.
Quote:
I think it's pretty damn funny!
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #44
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:skipperdude wrote:
*I guess he (The Electrician) was the first person to wire a head for a reservation.
Quote:
I've waited quite awhile for a reaction or two about SD's post.
Quote:
I think it's pretty damn funny!

*Walt, you're just encouraging him!
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #45
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42

DOC Wrote:

My wife and I are starting to feel like cell mates since we don't have a boat or an RV. I can only to to Wal Mart and Home Depot some many times a day. I am beginning to miss West Marine.

Further comparing boats to RV's I am curious about another issue. High engine hour boats can have high or low hours on the other critical systems such as the A/C, gen set, plumbing, transmission, etc. Depending upon the boat's history one sort of knows what to look for in terms of what might be getting worn out and what may have several years of good service left in it.

In a high milage diesel coach (say 80,000+ miles over 10 years) we would assume that the engine still has a lot of life left in it. But, what about the other things that are also getting heavy use ...wheel bearings, axels, steering components, gears?

__________________________________________________ ____

Doc,

I would recommend that you start visiting the RV.Net forum for all you ever wanted to know about RV's.* This forum has many catagories for the different kinds of RV's and each of those with many sub-catogories.* If you can't find an answer here, there isn't an answer.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...tings/forum/22

The link above is for Class A's.

Hope this doesn't violate any rules for not having ANY boat content in it.

Ron
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #46
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Doc

Just like buying a used car, If you need to, you can take it to a mechainic to get properly checked out.
Diesel engines are good to about 10k hours before a major on a boat. That translates to 450,000 miles in an RV. Oil analysis can be done, just as for a boat. Other systems show their wear more obviously. You just need to take the time to look.
So I wouldn't call 89k miles "high". Wheel bearings, axles, steering components, gears, all will go just as far.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:30 AM   #47
FF
Guru

But, what about the other things that are also getting heavy use ...wheel bearings, axels, steering components, gears?

The service life will depend mostly on the foundation, the basic frame the RV was built on.

A modified RV chassis (usually stretched) will have the shortest life , BUT parts are cheap , and founf easily.

The other end of the spectrum is a bus conversion , 3million + miles is not uncommon , but the maint will be more costly aND NOT DONE IN MOST CORNER GAS STATIONS.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #48
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

Quote:
Doc wrote:
Its no different than a boat.* If you're not competent to do most or all of the assessment of the mechanical condition then you are doomed to disappointment.* The big difference with an RV is that you can (usually) roll to the side of the road and wait for help to arrive*in the event of a failure.* Similar to the boat situation, there are some phenomenal deals on RVs right now if you know what you are looking at.* I'm fond of and partial to bus conversions - lately I've seen some of them trade for nominal amounts.* I consider our bus to be in exceptional condition - it passes an annual DOT inspection with flying colours - but its also virtually worthless if we chose to sell it.* I could also show you some units that, if someone were to pay you to take them, they still would be too expensive to own.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #49
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

We have had motor homes, 23 to 28 ft, since 1973 while our children grew up.* However we sold the motor home when we bought the Eagle because our children had their own lives, and we where spending so much time living and working on the Eagle.* The motor homes were small enough that they can be driven in most cities/towns and parked in most areas/spots, but they still had basic creature comforts. Since we live on a boat it would not be very hard to live in a motor home.
For Thanksgiving my wife and I flew to LA to visit children and grandchildren. Which got us thinking about buying a motor home for when we retire within two years.* Live on the boat in the summer and take the motor home south for the winter.* While in LA we did look at used 26 to 31 ft motor homes for around $20 grand.* *One of the main reasons we live on a boat is if we do not like the area/location, we can easily move to another area/location.* If/when we have to move to a fix dirt place we will rent rather than own, so*we can move around.***
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #50
Guru

Sold Boat, Bought RV?

Some great ideas here. Phil's summer boating and winter RVing is what we've been waiting to do and are now doing. It's the best of both worlds. Boat during the best weather and RV during the best weather. Of course I consider 78 degress in the winter to be great weather and 110, summertime in AZ and TX to be bad weather.

My thoughts on whether an RV is worn or going to need excessive maintenance is not mainly the miles. Fulltime RV's get much more wear on the couchs, recliners, stove, and slides outs than part timers that drive like hell for 4 weeks every year to see it all. We'll spend 7 months going from PNW to Texas and back this year, the mileage that someone else might do in a 4 week vacation. We'll put more wear on the furniture than a couple that takes a 4 week trip to TX and back, but less wear than a family of 5 doing the 4 week trip.

I'll spend time tinkering, lubing, aligning, cleaning, and checking my rig. Someone else may take it to the dealer once a year to "fix it". Longevity for an RV is just like your boat, it includes fixing small problems before they create more wear on everything around it. Even a higher end MH was built to a price point so there will be things that need a tweak.

Keith mentioned a 10,000 hour diesel boat engine and the equivalent RV mileage. Who ever heard of a 10,000 hour gasoline boat engine? It doesn't happen, because the gas engine simply isn't designed to run that many uphill service hours. So when you're looking at motorhomes look at what the base components were built for. Is it an F450 with a stretched frame and loaded with body and amenities to it's max Gross Vehicle Weight Rating as it rolls out the door? Or is it custom designed as a motorhome chassis using heavy duty truck axles and suspension designed for motorhome use? Are the frame rails designed to hold the MH body or have they been altered to fit? How about the engine/transmission is it the combo they put in pickup trucks or the one they put in over the road trucks? One will be easier to get parts for, one will not need parts as often.

Especially when you get to that magical 40' motorhome mark you can go either way. Many 40' MH's roll out of the factory so close to the max weight that a full tank of fuel, water and the weekend necessities make them overweight. When you read about tire problems on RV's pay attention to which vehicles are having problems, you'll often find rigs close to their max weight. Or have tires not rated for the use they are getting, maybe from the factory.

For any RV look at the components that it's built from. Look at the quality of the pieces used, just like your boat. If you're buying used, which for me is where the best bargains are, look at Who used the rig, and How they used it.

And, for the record I selected a single engine, 15/40 oil, 30 and then 2 micron fuel filters, I do not polish my fuel, ............. :-) [edit] Almost forgot 9 GPH.

Ken

-- Edited by 2bucks on Tuesday 29th of November 2011 07:06:54 PM
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #51
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Sounds like great advice, Ken. I've often wondered about many of these issues.* Thanks for posting.

BTW, is it true that Ken Buck hates sex?
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:37 AM   #52
FF
Guru

2000 hours on a basic gas truck engine in a larger boat is not uncommon.

The Rulle of thumb/guesstimate is one boat hour is 50 highway miles.

Coaches are surveyed by taking it first to a local charter bus shop, for a look at everything under the bus.

A DOT style check.

Then to the engine Mfg local dealer who will put it on a dynomometer ($150 for an hour including dyno time) and the mechanics can asses the engine and tranny if its an automatic.

Easier than on a boat , but the RV portion , is a bit harder to judge .
Old 12-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:
Sounds like great advice, Ken. I've often wondered about many of these issues.* Thanks for posting.

BTW, is it true that Ken Buck hates sex?
*Sssshhhhhhh!!!! Don't tell everybody.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #54
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

I don't mean to sound morbid but there is a saying that goes.....

Sailboat....to trawler....to RV....to Casket...

DON'T DO IT!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #55
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

Quote:
Baker wrote:
I don't mean to sound morbid but there is a saying that goes.....
*The version I heard was:

Sailboat - Motorboat - Motorhome - Rest home

bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:34 AM   #56
FF
Guru

Sailboat - Motorboat - Motorhome - Rest home

It takes far more skill to operate any motor vehicle at speed than wander down a dock to a floating house , or even move the house at 6K for a hundred hours a year , in a really good year.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #57
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Doc wrote:

That's an interesting concept.* I have no idea if there are people who fill this role in the RV world, but it's not a bad idea.* We know a couple of couples who sold their boats and bought RVs and had TERRIBLE experiences with them because of serious design flaws or problems that cropped up with things like brakes, leaks, system failures, etc.

In one case the couple is suing the dealer who sold them the rig, outcome still to be determined.* The other couple wrote very harsh letters to the headquarters of the national franchise dealership network and the company exchanged their one-year old trailer for a brand new one of considerably better quality (the couple had to agree to have their payments adjusted somewhat to compensate for the higher value of the new trailer).* It turned out their original trailer had some problems that could easily have resulted in a major accident on the road, in additon to developing annoyances like leaks, poorly functioning heating, etc.

But in both cases all the problems encountered were things that someone very familiar with RVs and their construction and systems could have uncovered before the sale.

So if there is no such thing as an actual RV "surveyor" it sounds like it would be very worthwhile for someone not familiar with RVs to take someone who is along with them when shopping for one.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #58
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'

There are problems with all the toys - boats, & rvs, cars, etc.. I seen and heard of some terrible stories with boats too. I had some problems with a new boat that the dealer didn't/couldn't /wouldn't take care of so I did, had to. It was a long,long way back to the dealer and it was clear they weren't interested.

I've actually had better success with my trailer. The wty. complaints were indeed dealt with. There are still some stupid things that I'm dealing with but the rig is now 4+ years old so there is no question about who deals with it unless it was a major engineering safety screwup.

Unfortunately too much depends on dealers of all stripes. Some are good and some should be horsewhipped.

There are some sites and sources of rating for rv but they are few and far between. There are some surveyors but how good or bad they are I don't know. Some good rv repair shops will do an inspection much like the auto repair shops used to do as long as you new and trusted the mechanics, at least for used rigs. If a new rig is in stock you may be able to get a good rv repair person to go with you. They may also know of inherent problems with some models and makes.

If someone is interested in a particular brand, boats and rv's, I'd suggest take a look on the internet for a website concerning that brand. Not the mfgr forums but the owners forums which is usually a different setup. I was amazed at what was available for a few nights reading about my rig, of course after the fact in my case. A lot of what was dealt with was minor but annoying stuff, some of it was more serious. In our case we were basically lucky although we had picked one of the better trailers, partly from looking and partly luck.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #59
Guru

C lectic has it right. Due diligence. If you're thinking about buying an RV/car/boat/house do your research. Join the forums two years before you're ready to buy. Read what the common problems are. Read the stories of the breakdowns, the dealers with poor service, the obsolete models. Have the mechanicals checked out by a mechanic or person familiar with that brand. Look at many different brands on the lots. Look at floorplans. Walk, sit, talk. Find one that fits your needs and your pocketbook. Then go looking to buy.

I can't believe the number of sheeple that go to a dealership to be sold an RV. When we bought ours we knew the make model and years that fit what we wanted, we were simply looking for the right deal. When we found that deal, we were ready to buy and have been happy ever since.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #60
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

What did you end up buying, 2bucks? What sold you on the choice you made?

FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote