Old 03-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #1

City: Mobile al
Software

Looking for suggestions, just added a P C to my trawler looking to network with my nmea 2000 what softwares would you surf for coastal cruising

Thanks

Dennis wombaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I like Coastal Explorer. I bought it back in 2004. At that time it was the best value out there. Times change, i’m Not familiar with what is the best value today. I do’s still have CE, I really like the way i can custom the AIS vectors. This really helps time the big freighters as we zigzag VTS lanes.

tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #3

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Ive used both Coastal Explorer and Time Zero Pro, If you have all Furuno gear then Time Zero Pro is truely fantastic, the radar overlay, cross MFD data sharing, AIS, FLIR integration are all super slick and it has some levels of Augmented Reality already built in. They also have a good iPad app that’s getting better quickly. I use NavNet to get the data to the PC with a Actisense NGT1 N2K to USB as backup.

If you dont have a Furuno package then CE is great too, good company too with good support, the Rosepoint NEMO is a good device to translate both N2K and N0183 to CE and has built in integration. I have this as my backup setup but frankly haven’t turned it on in almost a year.

AC
Old 03-30-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I use a laptop with Coastal Explorer (CE) in addition to Raymarine. I use CE to plan my routes and as a backup navigation.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Count me as a CE fanboy. I was an early adopter, have been using it for 14? yrs. I've logged over 38,000 nm with it, great product, great support, love the function. I'm all NMEA 0183 and use an Actisense NDC-4 as multiplex/interface with the USB. My PC is a 12VDC mini-ITX, it's perfect for on board use, nowadays the NUC form factor is a great match for PC-based nav gear. I have a fully redundant Furuno NavNet system that also serves as radar, I use it primarily for radar, CE does all the nav work and feeds the Raymarine AP which we use every time the boat moves.

If you've ever tried route planning with a chartplotter, there's simply no comparison with CE. Never had to put the Furuno into service due to a breakdown. I also have a redundant backup on my laptop that I use for planning, it can also step in to take over in the event of a PC failure. Never had to do it.

Unlimited waypoints, I've got nearly every track for every cruise saved in regional-themed files, they come in handy when revisiting an area or just recalling some history. I have a file for ICW south, ICW north, the Bahamas, FL west, FL east, NY Canals, DownEast, all over. Very easy to keep all that stuff organized and be able to recall it.
Maerin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:51 PM   #6
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
My first pick would be OpenCPN.

Next would be whatever your MFD and/or chart card manufacturer offers, so you can easily upload/download between the PC and MFD.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #7
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
We have Furuno electronics, so we use Time Zero on a back-up/planning laptop. Good.

-Chris
Old 03-30-2019, 02:40 PM   #8

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Safe Harbour
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Coastal Explorer. Simple, reliable, easy on system resources, great support.

I've been playing with TimeZero in my iPad and I like it, but it crashes too frequently (at least once every 24 hours) and occasionally AIS targets stop updating but stay on the screen. Rebooting the app fixes the AIS problem, but it's disconcerting, especially because the continued presence of old AIS targets can cause all sorts of problems.

Just got off a friends boat with full Furuno TZT2. I noticed the same issue with AIS targets not updating (solved by switching to a different screen for a moment then back to what you want). TZ Navigator on the PC crashed constantly. Probably a configuration problem (or problematic serial converters), but I played around with it for a few hours and couldn't figure it out. The most reliable chart plotter (and the one the owner uses 90% of the time, despite spending tens of thousands on TZT2 and Nobeltec) is Navionics on an iPad.

Coastal Explorer isn't as sexy, but it's rock solid in my experience.
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:02 PM   #9

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
OpenCPN has worked for us.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Just got off a friends boat with full Furuno TZT2. I noticed the same issue with AIS targets not updating (solved by switching to a different screen for a moment then back to what you want). TZ Navigator on the PC crashed constantly. Probably a configuration problem (or problematic serial converters), but I played around with it for a few hours and couldn't figure it out. The most reliable chart plotter (and the one the owner uses 90% of the time, despite spending tens of thousands on TZT2 and Nobeltec) is Navionics on an iPad.
Interesting, my Furuno gear and Trident have not had the issues you describe. Who set your friends's systems up? Most Class B AIS units can be slow to update, is that his problem? My Simrad Class B AIS data goes both to Trident and NN3, without issues. My next upgrade will be to add one of the smaller and newer Class A AIS units with a quick redraw.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #11

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Safe Harbour
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Interesting, my Furuno gear and Trident have not had the issues you describe. Who set your friends's systems up? Most Class B AIS units can be slow to update, is that his problem? My Simrad Class B AIS data goes both to Trident and NN3, without issues. My next upgrade will be to add one of the smaller and newer Class A AIS units with a quick redraw.
Not sure who installed it, other than they're in Anacortes. The issue isn't related to Class B...all the vessels we were around were class A (transiting Panama Canal). The problem seemed to be the TZT2s (and separately, on a different boat, the TimeZero iOS app) just stop updating AIS targets. The targets don't disappear (or show as lost), they just stop refreshing.

In this case, there were two MFDs. When AIS stopped refreshing on one, it still worked on the other. Both MFDs exhibited the same behavior at various times. Switching to radar and then back to chart or vice-versa immediately resolved the issue. This indicated to me a software issue, but I'm certainly not an expert.

TimeZero on the PC was so unreliable I didn't bother to look at it. It literally crashed once an hour. Pretty sure it was a driver or serial adapter issue, but frustrating nonetheless.

I guess I was surprised to see an issue with the same symptoms on TZT2 that I've experienced using the TimeZero iPad app. Now I'm curious if it's a broader problem with the underlying software that drives the TZT2 MFDs, TimeZero iOS app, and TimeZero PC software (is that even a thing? or are each of these products engineered independently but with a common UI?).

Coastal Explorer, by contrast, works super reliably and without glitches or excessive fiddling on all the installs I've encountered.
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Opencpn is awesome and free.
Software designed by actual cruisers for cruisers
Using a mouse and one click instead of getting lost in menus and endless button pressing as is found on expensive plotters makes things so easy.

Over the years it has moved from my #3 charting system on board to #1
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:48 PM   #13

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Salish Nomad
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I use a laptop with Coastal Explorer (CE) in addition to Raymarine. I use CE to plan my routes and as a backup navigation.
Same with us. CE on our tablets, Raymarine C120 that we "inherited" with the AT34.
Salish Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Gold Coast
Vessel Name: Serenity 2.0
Vessel Model: Mimosa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Opencpn is awesome and free.
Software designed by actual cruisers for cruisers
Using a mouse and one click instead of getting lost in menus and endless button pressing as is found on expensive plotters makes things so easy.

Over the years it has moved from my #3 charting system on board to #1
Where do you source your maps?

Rhino
Rhinoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:26 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinoc View Post
Where do you source your maps?

Rhino
Wherever you can get them, google is your friend.

I had CM93 (the whole world) given to me years ago.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:10 AM   #16

City: Marion, Massachusetts
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
On OpenCPN, I don’t know where there come from, (somewhere in the web) but they are free and government issue. Just did an update, by clicking “update all charts.” Pretty easy.
PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:08 AM   #17

City: Mobile al
All my electronics are Harmon do they interface with coastal explore?
Dennis wombaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:34 AM   #18
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis wombaugh View Post
All my electronics are Harmon do they interface with coastal explore?

I presume that's Garmin via spellcheck? The Rosepoint Nemo interface will work with N2K or NMEA0183. The make of the gear doesn't matter much, it should all communicate. If your system is N2K it should be plug n play with maybe an adapter.
Maerin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:05 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMF1984 View Post
On OpenCPN, I don’t know where there come from, (somewhere in the web) but they are free and government issue. Just did an update, by clicking “update all charts.” Pretty easy.
Unfortunately, not in Australia.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:47 PM   #20
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Software

I have a NUC, with CE and a Nemo Gateway that brings in both NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183. Its seamless and easy to install.

JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote