Old 02-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Guru

SOCAL boaters alert...

One of our club members is missing. He left his slip in San Diego aboard his 28' blue-hulled Catalina sailboat named Princess, almost two weeks ago without telling his wife or filing a float plan, and has not been seen since. He is an experienced sailor with many long range trips accomplished. The vessel is well stocked and in excellent condition. The CG has conducted an air/sea search to no avail. If you see this vessel notify the authorities.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Having been the USCG officer in charge of many searches...if the guy didn't tell his wife where he was going...time to hire a PI to check with the insurance company, work issues, health issues and start looking in tiny ports in Central America.

Boat description as the name may have been scraped off day one.

Of course the USCG will help...the weather for a day sail around the area....and check with any transiting vessels that could have seen him.

Hope all turns out well...but it is starting off in the wrong direction for locating him.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
This was in yesterdays Lectronic Latitude. Hope he's OK.
Search for Missing Princess

February 25, 2015 – San Diego, CA
The Coast Guard has asked us to reach out to our readership regarding the search for Richard Byhre, a 76-year-old sailor who did not return from his sailing trip as expected, and his dark blue 28-ft Catalina sloop Princess, homeport San Diego.

The missing Princess.
© 2015 Courtesy USCG

At 9:00 p.m. Saturday, watchstanders at the Coast Guard Joint Harbor Operations Center in San Diego received a report from Byhre's wife reporting that he had not returned from sailing last week. The Coast Guard immediately launched a Station San Diego 33-ft Special Purpose Craft — Law Enforcement boat crew to search for Byhre. San Diego Harbor Patrol crews also searched for Byhre.
On Sunday, a Coast Guard C-130 aircrew from Air Station Sacramento completed multiple searches of the waters 30 miles west of Ensenada and 60 miles south of Rosarito, Mexico. Additionally, an MH-60 helicopter aircrew from Coast Guard Sector San Diego completed a search along the waters off the U.S. and the border of Mexico. The Coast Guard Cutter Edisto was diverted to remain on scene and conduct searches throughout the evening.

The missing mariner, Richard Byhre, aboard Princess.
© 2015 Courtesy USCG

"Mr. Byhre left his home in Palm Desert on Tuesday, February 10, and the last credit card activity was in Pt. Loma on the same day," writes OSCS Douglas Samp of the USCG District 11 Command Center in Alameda. "Southwestern YC in San Diego noticed Princess missing from the slip on Sunday, February 15, and his Toyota Prius is still parked there." The search area expanded to the Channel Islands south almost to Turtle Bay.
"Any person having information on Mr. Byhre's voyage or whereabouts is requested to contact Rescue Coordination Center Alameda at (510) 437-3701 or email RCCAlameda@uscg.mil," said Samp.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Hope all turns out well...but it is starting off in the wrong direction for locating him.
Why do you say that?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Having been the USCG officer in charge of many searches...if the guy didn't tell his wife where he was going...time to hire a PI to check with the insurance company, work issues, health issues and start looking in tiny ports in Central America.

Boat description as the name may have been scraped off day one.

Of course the USCG will help...the weather for a day sail around the area....and check with any transiting vessels that could have seen him.

The guy is 76 years old.

If he was 46 I'd be inclined to agree but I just do not see a 76 year old ditching his wife, his life, and sailing off into the suunset.

Thats a middle age thing. Not a 76 year old thing.

I hope they find him safe.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
The guy is 76 years old.

If he was 46 I'd be inclined to agree but I just do not see a 76 year old ditching his wife, his life, and sailing off into the suunset.

Thats a middle age thing. Not a 76 year old thing.

I hope they find him safe.
I do too....

If they find the boat within a 20 mile radius...which shouldn't take too long...I would agree with the obvious....

You wouldn't believe how many "now for the rest of the story" tales I have executed. Hollywood has nothing on real life...people can do things that take years to unravel.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Guru

Richard left his shoes on the dock, indicative perhaps of a short trip to check out the rigging or whatever it is sail boaters do. The vessel is too small to be hijacked by the drug or illegal alien smugglers that infest our coastal waters. Unmanned, the vessel would have drifted south into Mexican waters and been reported. Theories abound, but nothing concrete yet on this disappearance.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: -
What has the marine weather been like during this time?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
Guru

The usual, warm and sunny with moderate winds.