Old 01-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
The SOB Ran My Damn Boat Aground!!

I get a call last week from a coworker from Oklahoma City who is the manager of our Standards Department, the guys who give us line pilots checkrides.* He's an old friend, a fellow boater and is coming to Sacramento on business.* He'ss be in town for the weekend and wanted to hit the CA Delta to see what it's like.* No problem, I said, we'll make a day of it.

We rendezvous at his hotel on Saturday morning and head to the boat.* He's never been out on anything larger than 22 feet in lakes and rivers, so this whole tidal water and big boat thing is all new to him. We get to the slip, dust off the boat and back out of the slip.* To show him the maneuverability of twins, after backing out, I make a 360 degree spin in position just off the dock, holding position perfectly as we spin.* Once we completed 450 degrees, we're headed in the right direction and proceed down the fairway.

After a nice jaunt under the Mokelumne River Bridge and up Georgianna Slough, we arrived at Oxbow Marina, surprised to see the party crowd from my marina there enjoying a relaxing weekend.* After exchanging niceties and lies, we headed out for a relaxing cruise.

Along the way, we had a nice lunch as a quiet lagoon, then cruised slowly via the long-way home.* Along the way, while relaxing on the flybridge enjoying the view, I passed the helm to Steve with the instruction to stay right and make the next right at the next turn.*

Not 3 minutes later, as I reached to open the first beer of the day, I hear Steve say, "It's not turning like normal!"* I looked down to see half right rudder, looked back to see the churn of muddy water behind the boat...I think I found the problem!!* Just then, the boat slowed from 3 to 0!* I can't believe the SOB just ran my boat aground!!

I headed below and all was normal and the port engine had stalled due to the excessive resistance caused by plowing through mud.* I restarted the port side and successfully backed out of the area, easing toward the deeper water alongside the levee.* We watched the engine temps closely and all was well.* Looked like we dodged a bullet.

So for the remainder of the day, I razzed poor Steve for running my boat aground.* I told him no hard feelings...you just can't BUY a reputation like that, and besides, I don't think I'll have to worry about failing any checkrides from him for the near future!!

All in all, it was harmless, but I learned a good lesson to keep an eye on those at the helm, even if they are friends who have experience.* Better to trust but verify than to run aground again!!

-- Edited by FlyWright on Monday 30th of January 2012 10:26:12 PM

-- Edited by FlyWright on Monday 30th of January 2012 10:28:21 PM

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
RE: The SOB Ran My Damn Boat Aground!!

As a newbie and an admitted budget nerd, the wife and I budgeted tow service and one new prop per year*

May not be enough

CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45

Think there should have been an option:

"Yes, The USCG chose not to put the buoys where the channel was!"

O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

I got off easy on my one and only grounding. I veered a little too far north when leaving Fisherman Bay, Lopez Island, WA about ten years ago. One quick thud and $1,000 repair to my keel confirmed a rock strike. This occurred in an area of very few rocks in an otherwise sandy bottom.*
<table class="forumline borderline" style="font-size:12px;background-color:#0053a2;border-collapse:collapse;margin-bottom:10px;width:100%;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td class="row1 borderline" style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;border-collapse:collapse;background-color:#eff2f9;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;padding:4px;" colspan="2" align="center" valign="top"><table class="gen" style="font-size:1em;" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4"><tbody><tr><td style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">Yup, it's happened before and will happen again. I'm budgeting now for the repairs!!!</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

-- Edited by Carey on Monday 30th of January 2012 08:39:53 PM
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
O C Diver wrote:
Think there should have been an option:

*That's what I wanted to tell my wife at the time.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Al, check your raw water strainers. *They may be half packed with mud. *Did you run it up to see if you had a vibration?
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

Never ran Gray Hawk aground but we did have a massive strike on our Malibu Response one summer.* It has the wedge hydrofoil that applies down pressure on the transom and we were running in the Shuswap River.* It was late in the summer and we were routinely pulling in 3 feet of water.* When I hammered it to pull my football player son out on his wakeboard the wedge went deep enough to hook on a tree stump on the bottom of the river.* It could have been a lot worse - twisted the crap out of the starboard side bracket on the wedge but no hull damage.*

So far we haven't run Gray Hawk aground.*
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

We were in our twenty eight heading up the inside for Deception pass, just putting along. finally realized we weren't moving. Yep, sitting in about 18 inches of water. Incoming tide. No harm. Nobody saw us!!
Boathommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

No good deed goes unpunished
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Right after we bought the boat my Dad and stepmother bounced off the granite bottom going into Fisherman's Bay,*Lopez Island*on*low tide.**Minor 6" scrape on the bottom of the keel*which we repaired at haul out.* Just happy I wasn't with him to take the blame!!* **

The boat has never been aground.* Knock on wood!!

Larry B
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

I have run aground many times, but have always been able to back off without any damage at all there is lots of very shallow water along the Northern and Florida Gulf coasts. 25 miles out were in about 30' of water around here, it is almost all sand or mud. I do keep towing insurance, it is not expensive at all.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

AL...be honest with us here- we're your buds. It was really you behind the wheel, eh? About 10 years of running boats 33' and up and so far, thankfully, not run aground EXCEPT for when my dad was navigating and piloting his former deck boat. Dad is not known for his navigational abilities!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Ha!* Funny Woody!* I'm still responsible, but I'm sticking to my story!! Steve was at the controls.*

Yes, Don, the strainers are clear and there are no new vibrations.*
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

During my (instrumentless)*sailboat days, I ran aground several times, on mud.* Each time on a rising tide so would just float off.* One time had to drop the anchor to keep from being pushed higher*toward shore.* Feel blessed.

Thanks to the Coot's GPS, electronic chart, and depthometer, haven't grounded since.* But there will be "the day."* Hope it will continue to be on a rising tide.

Fortunately, most of the San Francisco estuary consists of packed or sticky mud.

Check your engine-water intake!* (Right!* You did.)

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 30th of January 2012 10:45:11 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engroom11.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	9879  
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:10 AM   #15
FF
Guru

This is a surprise?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:21 AM   #16
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Mark, I sure do like that water intake manifold!
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #17
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

The SF Bay estuaries continue to silt in as mountains erode and developments spring up. In the middle of the last century my Dad kept a vessel at the Palo Alto Yacht Club. One*late afternoon*we missed the channel markers coming in and the boat went into the mud on a falling tide. Six hours later and midnight off she floated. Now that entire area is totally silted in and*a wetland.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #18
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28

If you don't touch bottom once in a while, you're just not going to all the fun places. My worst grounding was in an 18 foot bonefish boat. These boats are meant to go in very shallow water. My buddy and I were fishing a falling tide on a grass covered mud flat and we waited too long to leave. It was several hours before enough water came back that we could get off. By then it was very windy, cold and dark. We were covered in mud from our earlier attempts to push the boat to deeper water. Now that's fun!
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #19
Guru

We have a couple of shallow bays at the north and south ends of the Swinomish Slough. I used to take pictures of boats sitting in the mud, waiting for the tide because it was a rare event. Then it became an every year event to see someone sittine there and wasn't any fun anymore. Every so often we'd see someone on the rocks piled on the sides of the channels. Those looked a lot worse than the soft mud groundings. The channel is marked, the bouys are there, you just have to follow them.

Now, with the budget cuts they haven't dredged the Slough for a number of years and the channel itself is starting to collect groundings. Well known problem, just don't take your 6' draft sailboat down the middle on a zero tide.

It doesn't matter who is behind the wheel if my boat goes aground. If I'm on board, I'm responsible. I can delegate turning the wheel, even picking the route, but ultimately when bad things happen it's because I didn't watch closely enough. Sometimes I'm accused of micromanaging when I ask what their plan is for a boat approaching or overtaking us. They generally already have a plan and a backup in mind, but if I don't know what they have planned, generally because they haven't indicated their intent as soon as I would have, then I'm not comfortable.
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #20
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

I touched bottom many times in my shallow draft 23' sailboat, but only got stuck once.* Fortunately, my 14 year old son was aboard who was more than willing to walk the anchor out ahead so we could kedge off.

The trawler has only hit bottom once, so far.* It was at the nasty little entrance to "Dock of the Bay" on Miller Island outside Baltimore. I was stuck for a few moments but managed to power off.

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote