Old 08-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Redington Shores
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Trawler
Soap scum removal

Iím awaiting delivery of a replacement Thule shower sump kit (the pump had given up). As typical, the old one was pretty scummy, mostly from soap buildup. What is an environmentally friendly product I can run through my shower sump periodically to remove soap scum. Thanks in advance to responses. 😎

daviddraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
That is a Peggie question. She will probably chime in sooner or later.

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
We used regular doses of distilled white vinegar poured down the drains roughly weekly. The MSR shower/sink sump was at the foot of our bed, no smell or scum issues and we were full time live-aboards.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddraper View Post
Iím awaiting delivery of a replacement Thule shower sump kit (the pump had given up). As typical, the old one was pretty scummy, mostly from soap buildup. What is an environmentally friendly product I can run through my shower sump periodically to remove soap scum. Thanks in advance to responses.

I only have two suggestions. The first is to get rid of any hard soap. Use only liquid soap in the shower (and sink drains). It will create less of a problem with scum build-up over time.

The second suggestion is using Raritan C.P. It is advertised as a toilet cleaner, and it does a good job at that without messing up the bio-environment in your holding tank. However, my primary use has been to keep the shower sump clean. Not sure if I am using it correctly, but my habit has been to squirt some C.P. down the shower drain every few days after everyoneís showers are done for the day. I think the recommendation is 2-3 oz, but Iím not sure if that is the amount that I use.

On my current boat, I think I have cleaned out the shower sump once in the 4 years that I owned it and it was shortly after I bought it. So I could be just lucky but this seems to work for me.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:56 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I use CLR Biodegradable Bath and Kitchen Cleaner to clean scum off our shower walls and glass. Spray on and rinse with water. Water and CLR goes down drain, cleans sump.

If the sump is extra scummy, scrape off the thick stuff and spray the CLR into the sump.

This cleaner is amazing on shower scum, especially on glass and chrome. I bought this bottle in Canada but it is available without the French in the US.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190802_204746.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	91855  
syjos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:34 AM   #6
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
My wife ran across this. https://www.amazon.com/Comet-Bathroo...gateway&sr=8-4
Citrus based. Works great!
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
Raritan CP (Cleans Potties) ideal for cleaning toilets, sinks and especially shower sumps as its enzymes degrade hair & soap. Squirt a small amount down the drains weekly (it can be left in the drain/sump without rinsing safely though the enzymes stop working within 24hrs). Last week Defender had the cheapest price.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #8
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
What kinds of soap have you been using? As Dave mentions, we also make sure to use only liquids soaps, and go easy on hair conditioner (find an all-in one shampoo).

For the galley sink we've been using the foaming action dispenser for Dawn soap. One good tip is the solution in those is basically diluted dish soap. I've re-used the original pump at least a dozen times. About 2 oz of the concentrate and water. Works great. No need to buy their 'special' pump refill, just regular concentrated soap and your own water.

https://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Platinum.../dp/B0028OY04I
Old 08-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #9
FF
Guru

TSP, does a great job of cleaning, Soap scum, or before painting.

If its hard to find locally most machine dish washing soap contains it.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #10

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
The purple "Supercleaner" cuts through just about any grease/scum. Biodegradeable.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:26 AM   #11

City: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Trojan F44 FBMY
We live aboard and have switched all of our products to the Mellaluca lines... the cleaners are fantastic and 100% safe and biodegradable.

FYI... this is no longer a multi-level marketing program. You can just buy the products. They have a "after shower" spray that we use and there is no cleaning of any kind of residue inside the shower to worry about. Their liquid soap/body wash is excellent.

With kids or grandkids, all of their products are safe enough to drink. The whole line is great and comes to about 1/3 or 1/4 the price of off the shelf cleaners as they are mixed up in their own bottles from concentrate, so the space savings is also an outstanding side benefit. We live on a fresh water lake, and with all grey water going into the water directly, it's nice to know it is environmentally friendly.

Again, it is no longer MLM.
Flybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #12
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
TSP, does a great job of cleaning, Soap scum, or before painting. If its hard to find locally most machine dish washing soap contains it.
TSP is bad for the environment, do not use it in a sump that dumps overboard. It's no longer in most dish washing soaps because of this.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
By doing the vinegar routine, we were able to use the bar soaps and various hair care liquids of our choice, just like on land. Everyday, 365 days a year.

One reminder, which has an indirect relationship to this thread: a mesh flexible cover to the shower drain keeps hair from getting down there.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soap scum