So...Where do you dock?...>>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just moved from our YC to the marina attached to our condo complex. 30 slips half of which are not used.
I'm looking forward to having it at the house but there won't be much in the way of docktail parties.

Venice Marina here. Louisiana, end o the river. My wife does not like it. No malls, no stores, no nightlife, no nothin except the best fishing in the whole of NorthAmerica. We have fights at the cleaning table to rivell UFC and if you can put together 3 hookers you might get a whole set of teeth.

Blue is the marina boatyard, red is the marina itself and to the left of that little green line is our boat.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435715894.847202.jpg

Two Rivers Marina upper Mis River LDB mm 283.2, just across the bridge is Louisiana,Mo. Louisiana (population 3000 +) has about everything any other rural town has for shopping plus several restaurants. It's a nice well kept and managed marina, very well protected from current and wakes. I like the area, the people and the river, TRM is the only marina in this pool on the river so it's not near as busy as some of the pools near large metro areas like St. Louis or Minneapolis. Only problem is flooding started about a 2 weeks ago with the usual debris.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Some big ass boats at that marina!

Oh yeah, it's Lauderdale...

Across the Canal is Derecktor which is a big yacht yard, and yes it's typical Lauderdale.

We dock at Crows Nest Marina, Atlantic Beach, NCImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435744295.558718.jpg

I dock at the mouth of the Patawalonga River in Adelaide, South Australia. There are 2 marinas, one inside the lock, one outside, with about 100 boats in total (mainly sailboats, sports fishing boats and express cruisers).

I'm inside the lock where the berth fees ($220/month) are much cheaper. The lock isn't much of an inconvenienced as all occupants of the marina have their own remote control gate opener, so access is available at any time. Passing through the lock only takes 3 - 10 minutes depending on the tide. The lock has 2 retracting pedestrian bridges to allow uninterrupted crossing for pedestrians and bicycles.

The docks are floating concrete and kept in geat condition. Extras include free water & power; entertainment by a resident family of dolphins.

The position is good, being about 20 minutes from home and within a 5-10 minute walk of great beaches, many restaurants & pubs, hotels, a tram station, and shopping. Surrounded by plenty of happening things but still very quiet on the boat. Perfect.

Attachments

• 373487151_8eee7a3f0b_b.jpg
    373487151_8eee7a3f0b_b.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
So...Where do you dock?...>>

Wayfarer lives here. It's an 85-90 slip marina off the Erie Canal in Sylvan Beach, NY. It's surrounded by high banks and tall trees, which offer excellent protection from the wind. There's no tide and no current. It's quiet. During the week I'm frequently the only person there. We don't have a boatyard staff, but we do have a guy named Joe who does a nice job of fixing things. I spent a lot of my childhood there. I couldn't get enough of it. It's home.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435751739.440317.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435750742.105965.jpg

We're in a beautiful small town (population 10K) with a small waterfont population at the head of the Pamlico in NC. Lots of restaurants and town activities to keep it vibrant. We love it and it's only 25 miles from home..

Look for him in your free time:

Washington Cam

Venice Marina here. Louisiana, end o the river. My wife does not like it. No malls, no stores, no nightlife, no nothin except the best fishing in the whole of NorthAmerica. We have fights at the cleaning table to rivell UFC and if you can put together 3 hookers you might get a whole set of teeth.

:rofl:
Used to fish from Port Sulphur on down to the "end of the earth" with a buddy from Buras...in fact he and I are having a reunion of sorts as I will be fishing with him at the end of the month for the first time in 20 years:).

Venice would have what we called, at Charity Hospital ER, an unfavorable tattoo to tooth ratio:eek:

BTW the wife's family are from Boothville and she grew up in Jesuit Bend.

La Conner, WAImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435774766.936815.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435774800.288471.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435774815.857171.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435774877.165685.jpg

About $275/month 30ft covered slip.

We're at the Port of Kennewick Marina on Clover Island in Kennewick, WA. We have a 20' x 60' covered slip for $250/month. The marina is about 10 minutes from home, it's only about 8-9 years old and is a very nice marina as you can see from the second photo.

Clover Island YC (where we belong) is just a couple of hundred yards from where we moor the boat. We don't keep it at the club because they don't have boathouses or slips large enough. That sounds pretentious but it's really not meant to, simply a statement of fact.

img_345470_0_f0dfe5c3a62f8ccbb5550b9471c17e0f.jpg

img_345470_1_a484718340e78ba65745db229d0c0ee4.jpg

We have a 20' x 60' covered slip for $250/month.

THose are nice looking covered slips...Unfortunately in our area we only have old rickety wooden covered slips. Makes me nervous to even walk down the covered dock. One of the marina's had a fire under their covered slips last year...Took out 60 some boats. It was not pretty...

Live aboard at harbor day club in marathon, in the Florida keys. Own the slip and have everything you need on the island, two grocery stores ,home depot, many restaurants good to great, four yards for haul outs, sunsets from the tiki hut or aboard, great cruising to the west coast of Florida or the Bahamas,or the lower keys and key west. Slips range from 35 ft to 70 ft, and with only 24 owners it's small and private, and a Paradise found.Some slips are for sale ,and we are a live aboard community. Pm me for more.

Some of these slip prices sure sound reasonable for interesting locations. Heck here in Rockport Texas it's $400 plus a month, and Rockport is not all that interesting

For the past 3 seasons we have moored "Timeless" in North Saanich Marina, one of several marinas in Tsehum Harbour near Sidney BC. Got a great deal on a boathouse so moved inside from an open slip in December. Moorage is more expensive but maintenance is easier. Brightwork has never looked better!

You mean Home Port?
LaConner WA
Same as Adelaide post #43

First pic is at the south end of town at the Rainbow Bridge.

Second is at the marina at the north end of town.

Third is of my slip when we arrived from Alaska. We are now two slips away. Lousy pic but it shows where Willy lives.

We live 30 miles up the Skagit River at Concrete.

Attachments

• DSCF1638 copy.jpg
    DSCF1638 copy.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF1564 copy.jpg
    DSCF1564 copy.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF0650 copy.jpg
    DSCF0650 copy.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 74
Eric, what's that diesel trawler recreational sport fishing heavy cruiser next to Willy?

:D;)

Eric, that's quite a fleet of woodies you've got there! Do they live there, or was there some big meetup? Beautiful boats.

La Conner is a popular place for boat "shows." There are events put on by various clubs or organizations featuring different kinds of vessels. I've been to a couple of classic boat events there over the years, most of which tend to feature wood boats in beautiful condition. I suspect this might be what was going on when Eric took his picture as it's one of the docks these events tend to use there.

In Northeast Brazil

Marina Porto Aratu

Attachments

• DSC00419.jpg
    DSC00419.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 75
Gee, we don't dock. We have to sit out alone and lonely on a mooring in a small harbor. :cry:

We are with you Dave. It is the middle of summer and my wife would not trade the mooring ball for a marina if they paid us $18.50 a foot to stay there (the price of a cheap marina here). Different strokes for different folks.

Sorry guys I've been runn'in around.
Oliver that's funny. You used seven words to describe the Tug and missed the target by a good knotical mile w each word. Oliver that's the Maggie B .. a real tug but not a working tug any more. It was owned by a very nice and savy gentleman that died fairly reciently. I'll miss him. He died suddenly of a heart attack. We're three stalls north of there now. I worry about the Maggie but his kids will probably sell her and that way there's a good chance she'll get a good new owner. I just hope the "kids" don't try to use her. Old wood boats need special owners. There's another old wood boat for sale on our float. A 1937 strip planked Chris Craft in what appears to be quite good condition. No bling but good solid bones it appears but a survey would be needed to confirm that ... nice boat though. She's 31', heavy on the cabin and has twin Yanmar JH engines. $29K but the price will come down. I might like her myself. I'm sure she'd be a very comfortable cruising boat. A typical old wood cruiser in style but the cabin lines aren't as graceful as the later Chris's were. The hull looks more like a Richardson or a Mathews.

Wayfarer,
That's the Classic Car and Boat show .. as predicted by Marin. Thanks for wipe'in up for me Marin. I had a thread on one of the past shows perhaps it can be found. May make another one this year. Chris is anxious to go bye bye on the boat and I gave up on my electrical problem so still don't know when we'll get underway. Got a mechanic coming next Tues. Would like to run up to QC Sound.

Last edited:
Don't tease us with the Chris Craft description Eric and leave us hanging without a picture.

Sorry Craig,
Don't have any but just for my friends I'll take a few. The old fellow that used to be aboard quite often has'nt been around for at least several months. Boat is'nt listed. It's a by owner for sale thing in the cabin window. The color is old looking white (not bad) and the Danforth anchor is really old .. cast iron it looks. Wheelhouse windows open w hinges on the top.

Heron, that's a nice writeup and recommendation for the Little Washington waterfront. We're across the river, Cypress Landing Marina on Chocowinity Bay. The one thing neither of us have is a convenient fuel dock. Are there any plans to add fuel service there?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom