Old 06-30-2015, 07:17 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Lewis & Clark Marina on the Missouri River, where the South Dakota/ Nebraska border roughly runs down the middle of the river, just above Gavins Point Dam, the first dam going upriver on the Missouri. Lewis & Clark is about 400 slips (with a hefty waiting list). After buying our boat in Massachusetts and sailing Long Island Sound and the Hudson River in May, Lewis & Clark is a little sedate, but then the zincs and bottom jobs last about 10 years. The lake is about a mile and a half wide at the dam and they say the lake is 26 miles long, but only about 14 or 15 miles is navigable. It's a beautiful place to be for now, but someday we'll drop Xanadu into salt water again.

Lewis & Clark Marina Dakota Yachts

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Haven't docked in over a year. Scott's Cove Marina, Chance Marine...Ted
Your time will come...but wait...you won't want to stay in a marina because you'll be out using your boat.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:22 PM   #23
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
MK Bay Marina in Kitimat on BC's north coast. Kitimat is about 50 miles up Douglas Channel from the Inside Passage treadmill, so it's a quiet place to explore. Being isolated and away from the madding herds is great, but services and supplies are hard to find, or non-existent.

$74.00 per foot annual moorage...about $185.00 per month for Badger.

Grizzly, black, and spirit bears, wolves, cougars, humpback and fin whales, orca...all the apex species are still here

Photo #1 MK Bay Marina.
Photo #2 Badger in Douglas Channel on a typically busy day

http://www.mkbaymarina.ca/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MK Bay Marina - Sunrise.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	41571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Badger, Douglas Channel, from Jesse Falls.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	41572  
Old 06-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #24
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Summer: Home
Winter: Welcome to Sunset Bay Marina & Anchorage.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:55 PM   #25

City: Sanford, FL
Vessel Name: Bold Eagle
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sedan
Dock at Sanford Boat Works and Marina. Old school Florida. Kept my SJ23 sailboat there before buying Bold Eagle. Lots of gators, turtles, manatees and such. When someone asks where I live I can tell them "I live on a yacht on the St. Johns" or I can say "I live in a tin shed down by the river in Sanford.
Attached Images

BoldEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #26

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
My boat is in my back yard. Boring but free I miss marinas.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #27
Guru

Oh...I should add that Kitamaat means 'People of the Snow' in the language of the Haisla First Nation, on who's traditional territory Kitimat is situated.

This winter it snowed 5.5 feet in a day and a half;
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Badger 5.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	41574  
Old 06-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #28

City: Seattle and Bellingham
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
Elliott Bay Marina on the corner of the Seattle city waterfront.
This is a fairly large (1200 ish?) marina and pretty new (1991) so it is modern and clean with nice upscale amenities. Very cool views of the Seattle skyline to the East and the Olympic Mountains to the West. It is a pretty protected area of the Sound and the facility provides good additional protection so even rookies like me can get in a slip without much heartburn on most days. It is a bit upscale and a lot pricey for the likes of me, but given that my work has required me to spend 4-6 days a month in Seattle, it has been the convenience of the location that has been compelling for me. The setting in terms of views and watching the activity of the very bustling Port of Seattle has been a very nice experience for me and usually takes my mind off of the cost. I have not ventured into any marina so far that has higher moorage rates than this. With the Seattle work behind me it may be time to look further North as I have a business between Bellingham and Blaine Harbor and both would be convenient to that business.
But about Seattle...
I certainly grew up as a city hater being very rural growing up and even now primarily an agriculturist. I have spent considerable time in the Mpls/St. Paul metro, Chicago metro, LA metro and brief exposure to quite a few others. Disagreeing with Marin here seems forbidden territory so lets just say he is right about Seattle, but that I hold a different view. If you must live in or near a city and 80% of Americans do, Seattle is a wonderful city. Compared to others I have seen it is clean, has some spectacular vistas, cultured, relatively law abiding, and easy to escape as cities go. Many of the downtown businesses sit perched on a side hill with views across the Sound over the Olympics to the West. Freshwater Lake Washington to the East. Like most cities it has politics a little liberal for my tastes and I find it ceaselessly irritating that they think they need to run my Eastern Washington life from there, but don't most city dwellers fancy themselves more enlightened than they really are?
I expect I will move Klee Wyck north before long, but there are things I will miss about Seattle. In the pictures you can see a bit of the city skyline which can be spectacular, especially in early morning and evening, Mt Rainier, and the Olympics at sunset behind some shipping traffic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	41576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Olympics from homeport.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	41577   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	41578  
Old 06-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #29
Guru

Okay...one more thing & then I'll shut up already!

Twenty foot or more tides can make for interesting effects with wind and bottom/shoreline contours, especially in the marina where back eddies swirl around mysteriously
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Badger low tide.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	41579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Badger high tide.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	41580  
Old 06-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: -
So...Where do you dock?...>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
2000 boats Vs the 18 or so where I am... I'll stick with Country Mouse..
Oh, I see what you mean. I thought you meant you were the city mouse and I was the country mouse given my dislike of cities. So my rat comment was applying to me, not you. Sorry.....

Despite the fact there are well over 1,000 boats in our harbor, it's actually very quiet. Boats come and go but the activity in the marina is pretty minimal. Probably a good 80 percent of the recreational boats never move and haven't in the 17 years we've been in the harbor. Or at least it seems like it. And it's not one giant harbor. There are three basin: west, middle , and east. The west and east basins are unconnected, so whatever activity goes on there is totally separate from the other basins. The middle basin is mostly commercial fishing boats. The west basin, where we are, has docks but also has all the private boathouses that are in the harbor.

There's been times in the late fall, winter, and early spring where it seems like my wife and I are the only people in the whole place. So while the harbor has a lot of boats in it, it doesn't seem like it at all.

And for the most part, the boaters in the marina stick to themselves. There is very little "dock socializing." People come to their boats and go out or work on them and go home. They say hi to the other folks on their dock if they're there when they walk by but that's about the extent of it.

So for us, this is great because we are not social boaters. We boat to get away from people, not to hang out with them. We get enough of that during the week.

Now if this was some super-busy Florida or SoCal marina I'm sure I would totally agree with you that few is way better than many.

Below is a Google grab of our harbor.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435714009.360396.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	41581
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:43 PM   #31
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
We just moved from our YC to the marina attached to our condo complex. 30 slips half of which are not used.
I'm looking forward to having it at the house but there won't be much in the way of docktail parties.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #32
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Venice Marina here. Louisiana, end o the river. My wife does not like it. No malls, no stores, no nightlife, no nothin except the best fishing in the whole of NorthAmerica. We have fights at the cleaning table to rivell UFC and if you can put together 3 hookers you might get a whole set of teeth.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:58 PM   #33
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Blue is the marina boatyard, red is the marina itself and to the left of that little green line is our boat.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435715894.847202.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	41582
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:45 PM   #34
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Two Rivers Marina upper Mis River LDB mm 283.2, just across the bridge is Louisiana,Mo. Louisiana (population 3000 +) has about everything any other rural town has for shopping plus several restaurants. It's a nice well kept and managed marina, very well protected from current and wakes. I like the area, the people and the river, TRM is the only marina in this pool on the river so it's not near as busy as some of the pools near large metro areas like St. Louis or Minneapolis. Only problem is flooding started about a 2 weeks ago with the usual debris.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 06-30-2015, 11:42 PM   #35
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Blue is the marina boatyard, red is the marina itself and to the left of that little green line is our boat.
Attachment 41582

Some big ass boats at that marina!

Oh yeah, it's Lauderdale...
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:55 PM   #36
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Some big ass boats at that marina!

Oh yeah, it's Lauderdale...

Across the Canal is Derecktor which is a big yacht yard, and yes it's typical Lauderdale.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:51 AM   #37

City: Washington, NC
We dock at Crows Nest Marina, Atlantic Beach, NCClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435744295.558718.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	41587
Agrieast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:05 AM   #38
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I dock at the mouth of the Patawalonga River in Adelaide, South Australia. There are 2 marinas, one inside the lock, one outside, with about 100 boats in total (mainly sailboats, sports fishing boats and express cruisers).

I'm inside the lock where the berth fees ($220/month) are much cheaper. The lock isn't much of an inconvenienced as all occupants of the marina have their own remote control gate opener, so access is available at any time. Passing through the lock only takes 3 - 10 minutes depending on the tide. The lock has 2 retracting pedestrian bridges to allow uninterrupted crossing for pedestrians and bicycles.

The docks are floating concrete and kept in geat condition. Extras include free water & power; entertainment by a resident family of dolphins.

The position is good, being about 20 minutes from home and within a 5-10 minute walk of great beaches, many restaurants & pubs, hotels, a tram station, and shopping. Surrounded by plenty of happening things but still very quiet on the boat. Perfect.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	373487151_8eee7a3f0b_b.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	41597  
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #39
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
So...Where do you dock?...>>

Wayfarer lives here. It's an 85-90 slip marina off the Erie Canal in Sylvan Beach, NY. It's surrounded by high banks and tall trees, which offer excellent protection from the wind. There's no tide and no current. It's quiet. During the week I'm frequently the only person there. We don't have a boatyard staff, but we do have a guy named Joe who does a nice job of fixing things. I spent a lot of my childhood there. I couldn't get enough of it. It's home.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435751739.440317.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	41599

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435750742.105965.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	41598
Old 07-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #40
Guru