Old 11-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #1

City: Hendersonville, NC
Vessel Name: Hot Shot
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
So here I am at Lake Worth Anchorage

Comfortably at anchor as I head south to the Keys.
All I see around me are sailboats. As far as the eye can see.

Has there ever been a discussion about the ratio of sail vs power cruisers? Seems to me we are out numbered big time.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Yes we are outnumbered in the anchorages. The sailing culture fits with anchoring. The trawler culture is more into marinas, besides being outnumbered by sailboats in general.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I anchor out most of the time when cruising and rarely find power boats in the majority. That said I think most of the time the ratio is less than 4:1. Interestingly, when I migrate North or South during Snowbird, the ratio seems to be maybe 2:1 (vessels underway).

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
The other power boats I see in anchorages are usually in or near the "trawler" class.

I used to really be the odd one out in my 29' go-fast express cruiser! Now I fit in well enough that the sailboaters grudgingly smile and wave, sometimes using all five fingers.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
Guru

I am currently anchored in key West harbor. Sailboats out number me maybe. 20 to 1 here
Attached Thumbnails
1543683719359782603059.jpg  
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
In practice, 90% of those "cruising" sailboats in those anchorages are really just displacement single diesel express boats with an outdoor helm and a tall mast.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
When we’re in Mexico, west coast, there as many power boats as sailboats in the anchorages sometimes. Cruising conditions were more benign. A comment we heard frequently from the sailboaters was, “I thought we’d be sailing more”.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
In practice, 90% of those "cruising" sailboats in those anchorages are really just displacement single diesel express boats with an outdoor helm and a tall mast.
We call them a "powerboat with a stick."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
...A comment we heard frequently from the sailboaters was, “I thought we’d be sailing more”.
Same here. I think the dream of sailing is tempered somewhat by the reality of having to get somewhere.

Our nickname "powerboat with a stick" came to us while cruising, off shore, in between harbors. Even when they had a nice reach available, we'd see bare poles on almost every sailboat in transit. Get near a harbor, and you see lots of boats out for a day sail. In between, not so much. I never quite understood why.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
I was anchored in Lake Worth for four days last week. Waiting on watermaker part prior to heading to Bahamas. Went to marina on Monday. All fixed now. Will go back to anchor for a night and head out Monday it looks like. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1476.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	83171

At 53’ I was feeling kinda small.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
In all of our years patrolling for the CG Auxiliary, we have responded to one mayday call. When we got on scene we found a sailboat full of frantic people. Asking them what the problem was, they responded we are out of gas...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #11
TF Site Team

Nice neighborhood.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #12

City: Maryville, TN
Vessel Name: malu lani
Vessel Model: Albin 27 FC
At 53' you are kinda small. That looks like Rybovich behind you. When I retired from there, they wouldn't take a boat under 85' unless it was family or a "dinghy" for one of the big boys pictured. I hope they've changed their mind by now. Ben
tego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
You could flip that question with what is the ratio of powerboats to sailboats as transients at marinas.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:01 PM   #14
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Did you mean Rybovich or rob the rich?
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:29 PM   #15
Guru

We find Rybovich to be extremely professional and to be fair. As to price, they do the work right the first time and they do offer reduced pricing for off season.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:53 AM   #16

Vessel Name: Shady Grove
Vessel Model: TMC Custom 41 Trawler & S-2 10.3 Sail
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
The other power boats I see in anchorages are usually in or near the "trawler" class.

I used to really be the odd one out in my 29' go-fast express cruiser! Now I fit in well enough that the sailboaters grudgingly smile and wave, sometimes using all five fingers.
Very funny! Started my day with a chuckle. I may have waved at you when you had your go-fast.
BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:22 AM   #17
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
In all of our years patrolling for the CG Auxiliary, we have responded to one mayday call. When we got on scene we found a sailboat full of frantic people. Asking them what the problem was, they responded we are out of gas...
Those weren't sailors. Those were powerboaters on a sailboat!
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #18

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I anchor out most of the time when cruising and rarely find power boats in the majority. That said I think most of the time the ratio is less than 4:1. Interestingly, when I migrate North or South during Snowbird, the ratio seems to be maybe 2:1 (vessels underway).

Ted
I'm sorry to see a lot of the bigger power boats in this area of Florida never leave the dock. I have witnessed many boats day after day year after year slowly disintegrate right at their own dock.
O.C. we too are more likely to anchor out than go to a marina. Not sure why,we have just always done that.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #19
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
We travel 1,700 miles from CT to FL and then the same distance back each year. The trip can take 3 to 5 weeks depending on where we decide to stop to visit friends and family or sight see. We anchor virtually all the time.

Why? It's easier than docking, tying up, and plugging in. It gives us privacy, it provides beautiful scenery, it's fun to explore in the dinghy, we can fire up the BBQ, and in the morning when we want to leave at first light we simply pull the hook and we're off. Oh yeah, it saves some money too. YMMV
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine R View Post
I'm sorry to see a lot of the bigger power boats in this area of Florida never leave the dock. I have witnessed many boats day after day year after year slowly disintegrate right at their own dock.
O.C. we too are more likely to anchor out than go to a marina. Not sure why,we have just always done that.
You see a lot of smaller boats too, a lot of sailboats too, that are seldom used. Two primary reasons. With some owners, they simply lack the passion for boating they anticipated. With other owners, they simply lack the time and energy. Both spouses work and kids have so many interests. With two weeks vacation per year the norm and three or four less common, when is one going to boat. Then executives who may own the larger boats have even less time, not more. Their vacation plans change at the last minute.

In the US, leisure time is not as readily available as elsewhere in the world and it's not made the same priority. An executive in Europe for a major company will plan next summer I'm going to spend the first two weeks of June cruising with family, leave them and then return to the boat the last two weeks of July. In the US, the similar executive simply can not plan and keep their plans that far in advance.