Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Guru

Smokin' is bad for you...

Sittin' on the sundeck enjoying 80 degree plus weather and an adult libation, when I noticed two cleanin' ladies board the 40' Carver sundeck behind me, start the engines and go below. I noticed no water comin' out the starboard exhaust. It started steamin' and then later, puttin' out some blue smoke. Finally, the engine started stumblin' and the cleanin' ladies cranked up both engines and shut 'em down (real good for the turbos.) I wonder if they'll tell the absentee owner anything or let him find out for himself?

Old 10-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #2

City: Ventura, CA
Vessel Name: Vyndance
Vessel Model: 48 Californian CP
What was their reaction when you told them of the problem?

Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Guru

I didn't tell them anything. If the absentee owner is willin'to entrust his boat to cleanin' ladies he obviously doesn't care a whole bunch.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Some folks are too cheap for their own good.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 11-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Question one: is this a charter boat? Otherwise why have cleaning ladies for a 40 foot vessel?

Question two: why did they start the engines? If it was hot and the boat was on shore power, why not use the A/C?

Question three: if you saw someone start an engine where the intake seacock was closed and the engine was damaged, then why did you not at least say something to the dock master?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Question three::::have you ever tried to help someone launch a boat or pick a boat up? YOu get called an a hole and get the bird if your lucky. Like he said if he leaves the boat open to strangers to fiddel, he gets what he gets. I've driven 2 hours to check on my boat because a "friend" showed another friend my boat. He left the snubber line tied tight to the dock, but I just had a feeling. Nothing got damaged but could have.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Question three::::have you ever tried to help someone launch a boat or pick a boat up? YOu get called an a hole and get the bird if your lucky. Like he said if he leaves the boat open to strangers to fiddel, he gets what he gets. I've driven 2 hours to check on my boat because a "friend" showed another friend my boat. He left the snubber line tied tight to the dock, but I just had a feeling. Nothing got damaged but could have.
Yes
Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
I didn't tell them anything. If the absentee owner is willin'to entrust his boat to cleanin' ladies he obviously doesn't care a whole bunch.
I don't quite get it. You stand by and watch thousands of dollars damage being done, because there's a chance someone might be rude to you if you speak up.
I would have said something as soon as I saw the lack of water flow. And I am glad that 99% of people around here would do the same.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:55 AM   #9
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Must admit around our Marina and most likely any other in Aus someone would speak up if something like this was noticed.
If I saw it I would feel terribly guilty if I had not said something to the ladies or at least the owner when he returned, but most likely would have gone over to check if the cleaners needed a hand.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 AM   #10
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egregious View Post
Question one: is this a charter boat? Otherwise why have cleaning ladies for a 40 foot vessel?

Question two: why did they start the engines? If it was hot and the boat was on shore power, why not use the A/C?

Question three: if you saw someone start an engine where the intake seacock was closed and the engine was damaged, then why did you not at least say something to the dock master?
Agreed. I'd be pissed if Someone saw something and didn't say a word
Old 11-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Ancora, sorry, but I've got to say this..what you did...ignore a clear-cut case of damage being done in ignorance to a fellow boater's craft, without saying anything, is more contemptible than all the verbal rubbish you continually throw at your president, and leaves me speechless. I guess because there was no way to make political capital out of it, you just couldn't be bothered to interrupt your 'adult libation'.
If you don't right now or as soon as possible report that incident to the owner or marina authorities, so at least he finds out who wrecked his engine, and at least his insurance does not pay for it..well...words fail me...
Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Sittin' on the sundeck enjoying 80 degree plus weather and an adult libation, when I noticed two cleanin' ladies board the 40' Carver sundeck behind me, start the engines and go below. I noticed no water comin' out the starboard exhaust. It started steamin' and then later, puttin' out some blue smoke. Finally, the engine started stumblin' and the cleanin' ladies cranked up both engines and shut 'em down (real good for the turbos.) I wonder if they'll tell the absentee owner anything or let him find out for himself?
I'll bet at this point you're sorry you posted this.

I would have said something to the cleaning ladies as soon as I noticed the problem and before damage had ben done. I would also have said something to the dock master and asked him to contact the boat's owner. I woul have contacted the boat's owner myself if I knew him.

How would you feel if something bad happened to your boat and your slip neighbors ignored it?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I'll bet at this point you're sorry you posted this.
I think that everyone is missing the point. It's not about that guys boat that fried, it's about boat maintenance. If the two ladies were cleaning ladies than they would have not known how to start the mains. They were either family or cleaning ladies who were instructed by the owner to run the mains during the cleaning. Most likely the later because family never cleans, right. It's bad on the owner either way. I'm sure the op didn't sit there and watch the thing fry laughing. He was making a point of what happened. Chronologically he probably saw the ladies get on and crank it up, took note.
Looked over again and heard the sputter, saw no water and cluck goes the engine. Sitting at idle and overheat is not the end of the world for the engine and probably not the first time for those engines.
Am I speculating to much?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #14

Regardless of a charter vessel or who can afford cleaning crews, I think for a fellow mariner to sit by and allow harm to a vessel is a measurement of character. FWIW: Most marinas are made up of absentee owners ........
Old 11-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
If it was my boat involved, Im not sure who I'd be more upset with; the person who played around without knowing any better, or the person who allowed it to happen completely aware of the damage being done.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I wouldn't ask a cleaning lady to start my engine.

Nor would I own a Carver...
Old 11-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I wouldn't ask a cleaning lady to start my engine.
Tread lightly. The Admiral does a lot of our cleaning and she can start my engine anytime she wants.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #18
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
In some areas...the cleaning ladies have more sea time than all of us put together plus a really salty Navy admiral....

But that just a few I used to know in Ft Lauderdale.....

If it's part of the job...I would hope the owner would know their quals and expect them to follow procedure...if I find my boat's engines fried and the only other person aboard was the cleaners....they hopefully had insurance that covered their job description or the owner is a twit.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty

Tread lightly. The Admiral does a lot of our cleaning and she can start my engine anytime she wants.
Lol! I was trying to come up with something witty....
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 11-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #20
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Which begs the question, sea cocks - to leave open or not?

Closed Thread