Smaller Trawler names?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
woo.. like this one.. may need repower but I'm not ready yet.
1988 Albin 27 Express Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

They be dreaming for the price .. I'd go maybe 12K It's an old boat no matter how they try

4917639_20150119144504738_1_XLARGE.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite small trawlers are right here on the forum, but I've admired some of the production boats like these,.... Legacy 32. Fales 32, and Transpac Eagle 32. I should add that even though I don't particularly care for gas boats, the Carver 32 is a neat boat and there's plenty around.

Attachments

• legacy 32.jpg
    legacy 32.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 89
  • fales.jpg
    fales.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 1987-transpac-eagle-32-trawler-ipminsn.jpg
    1987-transpac-eagle-32-trawler-ipminsn.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
Denise,

The 30 Californian is a relatively rare boat, but it seems like one that would click most, if not all, of your boxes. Since they were built on the west coast, they will probably be even more rare there on your side of the country. It's a lot like my 34 Californian, but without the second engine, stbd side door, 2nd stateroom and has narrower side decks.

Here's one for sale in San Diego.

1979 Californian 30 Sedan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

No matter how you shake it, it's a lot of boat for <$25K. I think there's a non-FB version available, too.

Boink! :eek:

I just had an epiphany :rolleyes:

I don't need 30+ feet.

The question is, what search parameters do I use to find smaller trawlers?

Thank you all!

I know I have a biased opinion but :at 32' the Transpacific Eagle 32s are great little boats :thumb::thumb:

I love my girl and she's just 23' long. Truth to tell though a bit longer would have afforded me more space for Stuff. And a girl's got to have her stuff.

Serious advice: IF you are planning to live life off the grid you'll need a flat surface (large topside) that you can use for solar panels. Marina hopping has no need for extended power generation.

Schucker made just six of my little boat. When I spotted her I knew I had The one Denise.

I'm probably older than you however these were my concerns/wishes/desires.

#1) Safety. I wanted to be inside the boat, imagining myself going forward in a thunder-boomer to check the anchor. (Seaweed is not so good at this aspect)

#2) No gasoline engine. (I bought a gasser, and have swapped engines. Don't ask. It was UGLY.)

#3) I wanted to entertain guests without them seeing my bunk. Men are men, you know?

#4) I wanted to be able to use the head privately. My head is down below next to my bunk.

#5) Inside shower. Displaying all in the cockpit for a sun shower won't work for me. That's not to say that I don't rinse off outside when swimming before going below for my shower.

#6) And I'm at that age when using the head overnight is a regular part of interrupted sleep. I wanted the head close to my bunk. Some small boats tuck the head into a corner of the salon. Getting up, getting dressed, walking through boat just to tinkle wasn't going to be a good plan.

Anyway, Seaweed lacked most of the things I had in my list. (anchor was inadequate, no solar/no wind, no autopilot, etc.) Structurally she had good bones and I knew that over time I could add items to increase my decadence level. Now, finally, eight years into the journey I have an AMAZING boat.

She's just about perfect except for the stuff that is broken, needs upgrading or tweaking. Two things are next/upcoming in this year and 2017 if all goes according to my plan:

A. I'd LOVE a small autopilot that will drive my girl on a compass course. That's about $2k. I have to find one that will fit in my Very Limited space. A larger boat would have more room for such gear.

B. I Want a half-size tuna door cut into the transom for easier boarding from my dinghy. Climbing over the transom is still okay. My bones are not getting any younger.

Seaweed is my Forever Home and Last Boat. I have been adding infrastructure and truly Denise, life is wonderful afloat. I LOVE my boat. Here she is:

SeaweedWithPlanter.jpg

P.S. Good luck in your search.

Blatant Plug: If you're still at the learning stage my website may provide insight into what you desire in your floating home. Janice aboard Seaweed, trawler cruising on a nickel budget...

Blatant Plug: If you're still at the learning stage my website may provide insight into what you desire in your floating home. Janice aboard Seaweed, trawler cruising on a nickel budget...

Doubling the plug. If you really want to see someone who has mastered the art of living life to the fullest on a small budget, go to her blog. There is no better source for seeing it in practice, not just in theory. The best thing is that she's found and created what is perfect for her. She makes it sound like paradise because it is her paradise. She's achieved Nirvana.

Love Seaweed! we allowed to post pics of our last boat that was not a trawler?
:angel: don't say yes! LOL
last June when I sold her. Just finished the new overlay portlights.
img_458838_0_890209154aeb0361d515a81a8e271a9d.jpg

img_458838_1_a358da6c2fd581fba6ca9261b0b499fb.jpg

img_458838_2_59731d9edf476aa115e43e93bfa78e41.jpg

My Oday was 30ft, had more then enough space to live in. Trawlers and such are more on the level deck space which is a big plus.

Getting close to 70 (68 this month) I don't know how to explain this feeling of being trapped by my house, the mortgage and all that land based crap we think that can't be live without. I have equity in the house but selling is is not easy. Living aboard presents it's problems. so the $14 a day plan you live on would be something I'd have to train myself to do.

I've been searching more Albin 27s but I'd like, as you Janice a real cabin, the 27's don't have. Otherwise they fit me well. The aft cabin looks like a dog house so that is not an option IMO.

Looks like at least 2 years for me.. I should live that long, hopefully I will. I have family in in the Chattanooga TN area but I HATE HOT WEATHER I think New England (Maine) is where I need to be as a .75 live aboard spending the other .25 with family. THEY don't know it yet :ermm:

Giving up or keeping a car or small truck are another issue. One can rent when needed but that's not cheap either. Anyways, all this can be addressed on a live-aboard forum.

Thanks for the encouragement Janice!:flowers:

She's pretty Denise. I've got that same oil lantern on my Seaweed. I like your spice racks and the storage area for your plates. Very spiffy. I always like seeing what others have done. That gives me ideas. Ideas turn in to projects. :)

The Albins are interesting. I went on a 27 with a fellow who wanted a spare pair of eyes to look over the boat. She had Issues so he passed. Problems spotted:

#1) All stanchions on the bow were wobbly
#2) Soft spots on deck indicated rot
#3) Wiring would need replacement (old wires, caps versus butt connectors, etc.)
#4) A thick layer of black oil in the bilge

Now the aft cabin was not terrible! I expected a cavern and with the doorway open it was spacious/airy. Sitting on the centerline I could well envision a desk back there. The bunks in the aft cabin reminded me of MRI tubes.

They would be great for storage.

For me, getting in and out of those aft cabin bunks would not be something I'd do more than once. For overnight guests though, perfection. Except they would have to get up and come forward to use the head. Children could have a great time back there.

Galley dinette and bunk forward are all in that forward area. I do not want a fellow looking at my bed while we are chatting. It's me, it's a quirk but there you have it.

Steps down to the forward cabin were steep. It's definitely a turn around and go down the steps backwards if there are any balance issues whatsoever. Perhaps with practice that would get change. I err on the side of caution.

You might also consider a small houseboat. There's a lot of living in one of those. The biggest plus though is no steps.

Daddy built the boat I grew up aboard. His intention was to build a houseboat when he turned fifty to use as his Last Boat. He never got around to that. By the time it was time to take that step he didn't have the physical stamina to build another. Plus we liked our 40'er.

She served us well... This is the boat Daddy built:

BootKeyHarbor.jpg

I like the Albin for a single person. I could well imagine life in the forward section with aft primarily for storage. Locker space is spartan however with good planning it would suffice.

The Albin we toured did have the remnants of an ice box. It was virtually inaccessible. I'd have wanted to cut out the front of the locker and make a real storage spot. A single burner would have been fine.

The head and shower were good.

It's been a while since I saw the boat. I did take a lot of pictures. Try this page:
Index of /BoatInfo/Albin27
This link is just a folder with the pictures I took... There is no preview.

This page Janice aboard Seaweed, trawler cruising on a nickel budget... is a compilation of my working files from when I was boat shopping. Originally I wanted a NorSea27 or something similar, dreaming of sailing off across horizons. A couple bouts with cancer, taking care of Mother (Alzheimer's) and life, well, I'm not getting any younger.

When I thought about my favorite times growing up it was not passages. I liked hanging out on the hook in some remote place, swimming with dolphins, gathering scallops (in Biscayne Bay) and conchs wherever I could find 'em. Plus reading.

Goodness gracious, wouldn't life have been wonderful with a Kindle back then...

Good luck in your search.

J.

Last edited:
We all have our own criteria and needs. As for Seaweed, I wouldn't feel safe outside the interior because it missed two essential criteria for me: 180-degree wide decks with strong. high railings.

Last edited:
We all have our own criteria and needs. As for Seaweed, I wouldn't feel safe outside the interior because it missed two essential criteria for me: 180-degree wide decks with strong. high railings.

Wow, mark I don't see that j is suggesting anyone approve her boat as their's

Absolutely. I wish I had a better way to go forward. One of the next items on the little list is to buy some tie-down loops (you know, the small stainless ones. Then, install same. Finish with netting like what I use in my pilothouse doors.

Big high railings like yours are definitely a thing of beauty.

Before Seaweed I considered the Prairie29. She's gorgeous, has those high rails. Her down sides for me were that I did not feel like I could handle her solo. With one side door I'd be limited on docking.

In retrospect, I dock so seldom that would not have been as big an issue.

Still, the 14k pounds the 29'er weighs would have necessitated heavier ground tackle. Going down to that LOVELY shower would have been hard on my knees.

So far I've had three knee surgeries so I've got my own built in barometer (that and the ribs I broke when that boat blew up next to me)

Anyway, yes, I do have a serious case of envy. Your side decks are spiffy! It's Coot's bilge that has me turning green. Your bilge is one of the nicest I have ever seen!

Mark insulted you and your boat J, I don't know why, but by the 3 page on just about any forum on any topic; it somehow becomes a wizzing contest.

As one who has shared a meal with Mark on more than one occasion I can assure you that the man means no malice toward anyone. A true gentleman with a soul to match. Perhaps after some time you will recognize that.

Mark would not insult anyone, ever.

What he wrote We all have our own criteria and needs. As for Seaweed, I wouldn't feel safe outside the interior because it missed two essential criteria for me: 180-degree wide decks with strong. high railings. should be an important consideration to any boat buyer. Safety ought to be a critical component of whatever boat is chosen.

Mark's side decks are safe. He is "inside" even when he is outside. It's a great boat.

And so too is my Seaweed. I have a coastal cruiser designed for safe protected waters. That's what I wanted and have.

Mark's got an entirely different level of boat. It is nicer. That does not mean I'd swap boats. I prefer Seaweed. She suits me.

No insult at all......just a personal comment about his own feelings.

Plus .....this is an open forum, not a blog.

Expect almost anything up to the point of it not being civil enough the moderators jump in. Even then what a lot of people consider rude is because it doesn't agree with them, or isn't their style....just like boats.

Last edited:
Mark would not insult anyone, ever.

I can't swear about ever, but expressing a preference of one type boat vs. another or one feature vs. another isn't insulting in my mind. I hope everyone here prefers a boat like theirs. This is no different than if we said Mark's boat is too slow for our tastes or he says ours is too fast and uses too much fuel for his. We adore his Coot, but wouldn't be the right boat for us. No different than galley up or down, twin or single.

If you start talking about sushi, then we're probably going to make faces and say yuck. Doesn't mean we don't like you, just that we don't eat sushi. In no way intended as an insult. We have a couple of very close friends that when we eat out will generally find something to order that we'd never eat. Then they look at what we order and think it's so boring.

She already told all of us we were beating a dead horse.....:rofl:

@ Denise: I chime in with a different aspect. (Actually 2).

I picked my boat not solely because (but mainly) the almost complete lack of bright work to maintain and more importantly to me the solid UN cored hull.

Of the dozen or so boats I was searching through the constant stream of deck repairs, bright work rails, trim and interior made me rethink buying.

Until I stumbled across
https://youtu.be/rjHNSzZ0PxE
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468183481.573344.jpg
This is how I found THE particular boat I wanted as a GrandKid Transportation Vehicle. As well as a fun way for the better half and I to enjoy.

I've worked on hundreds of boats over my career. Operated many dozens. Ridden as guest on many. Owned sunfish, Ranger 30, and skiffs and whaler. But when I saw that video I instantly became 'A Recovering Sailboater'.

We have a GB 36 Classic but here are some other "out of the box" suggestions.
We also have a C Dory 22 Cruiser. Great little boat boat with a trawler look. And it's an outboard. They also make a C Dory 25 and a Tom Cat 255. Check out Ranger Tugs 21, 25 and 27. They also make a Ranger Tug 23 with an outboard that is pretty cool.
Willard and Cape Dory also made small trawlers under 30 ft. I recently saw a Willard 25 in Florida for 20 or 25k.

We have a GB 36 Classic but here are some other "out of the box" suggestions.
We also have a C Dory 22 Cruiser. Great little boat boat with a trawler look. And it's an outboard. They also make a C Dory 25 and a Tom Cat 255. Check out Ranger Tugs 21, 25 and 27. They also make a Ranger Tug 23 with an outboard that is pretty cool.
Willard and Cape Dory also made small trawlers under 30 ft. I recently saw a Willard 25 in Florida for 20 or 25k.

None of which come close to what the OP is asking about.

Denise is not some noob that has no idea of what she is doing. She is a smart, competent woman who knows what she wants and knows her constraints.

Denise, don't search by brand, search with your preferred parameters and pay close attention to the "orphan" boats. In about 3500 surveys I have been impressed by only four boats and they were all homebuilt orphans ! Of course I've seen a not more ugly orphans but don't overlook an un-branded boat as they will often sell for substantially less than a "name" even though they can be much better boats.

Agreed. Get off the beaten path. Sounds like you have the background and confidence to recognize the right boat when you see it.

I spent a lot of time looking and thinking of what I wanted, and my parameters weren't much different from yours. I was set on diesel, and if you are too I'd suggest that this is probably the best search filter. Keep an open mind and the right boat will show up, and it may well be something that nobody has heard of.

Hmmm seems like the original question was this:

I don't need 30+ feet.

The question is, what search parameters do I use to find smaller trawlers?

Boatpoker: "None of which come close to what the OP is asking about.

Denise is not some noob that has no idea of what she is doing. She is a smart, competent woman who knows what she wants and knows her constraints."

Sheesh, seems like the suggestions I threw out there for her consideration was exactly the kind of free thinking suggestions she was looking for. Doesn't mean she has to take them. Just ideas.

Good Lord, there is one in every punch bowl that wants to argue.

Pard, when someone asks a question, any suggestion is good info to ruminate on.

SeaWeed is a great looking boat!

I spent two years searching for a full displacement <30 ft. trawler and finally found my Vashon. She has been restored and has been a joy to own. There have been a few Vashons for sale lately. Best on your search!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Boatpoaker, I didn't ignore budget. You can get a C Dory 22 little trawler for around 20-25k. You can get a Willard 25 for 20-25k. Everything else I mentioned was between 20 and 125k on the used market. Hard to get a trawler for much less than that bottom figure. If you do you are going to spend a lot making it seaworthy. You pay up front or you pay on the back side. That's just the way it is.

Back
Top Bottom