Small trawler OK to cruise PNW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: Definitely not camping although I would ask about the supply of hot water for showering. :ermm:

Camping is porta potti or worse, no climate comfort, no tv, tightly rationed water, no refrigerator or freezer, no stove or oven.

To me the difference is "necessities." I know certain things are not absolute necessities, not necessities by definition, but they have become so to me and in my life. They are necessary to my comfort. :)

Wifey B, hot water by either running the main engine or the generator to provide the juice to run the hot water heater. Add to that an enclosed shower. That way you do not have to clean up and dry out the entire head.

I suggest, some folks call it camping in their $100-200K RV.
Let's be honest, there are fewer things to hit in the water while on a boat, than an RV on the highway.

Now Walmart used to have a policy you could park your RV in their massive parking lot. Not sure if that is still in effect.

I THINK it is still easier to find a secluded spot to anchor your boat than your RV. SHRUG

Last edited:
Durant I see your boat as a 30’ yacht.
No sign of camping.
Possibility even a bit pretentious.

Is that beautiful light yellow (hull) a factory yellow?
Or is it an aftermarket coating. I’d never again tie up to a float plane (rubber tire) float again if I had such a beautiful hull. Still haven’t fixed the black tire marks. As an Alaskan I should know better.

Next time, use your own red round fenders.

Last edited:
Wifey B: Definitely not camping although I would ask about the supply of hot water for showering. :ermm:

Camping is porta potti or worse, no climate comfort, no tv, tightly rationed water, no refrigerator or freezer, no stove or oven.

To me the difference is "necessities." I know certain things are not absolute necessities, not necessities by definition, but they have become so to me and in my life. They are necessary to my comfort. :)

Hot water is no issue!
I’m underway almost daily so engine heated hot water (very hot!)
At anchor for a few days my Honda 2000 for 20minutes does the trick
At marinas I’m plugged in when needed

All good

Hot water is no issue!

All good

Hot water is no issue!

All good

Those Honda 2000 gens must be VERY good. They sure did make and sell a big bunch. You can run them in series or parallel..

I have two at home. I have never found a need to even start them. Each one attaches to the condo via a through the wall plug.
So basically, they provide 2 legs. One to the kitchen and one to the rest of the lower level of the condo. Just have to run a couple heavy duty extension cords. The advantage of the through the wall sockets is, you can closes the door to prevent heat loss.
Of course, one has to chain them to a wall outside or they will 'disappear.'

Last edited:
Dan, they are good!
I paid the extra $70 to get the model with the 20amp receptacle that match’s a 30amp boat plug. Too easy!

Last edited:
Dan, they are good!
I paid the extra $70 to get the model with the plug the 20amp receptacle that match’s a 30amp boat plug. Too easy!

On the boat, I have one of the small adapters that go from 120vt 20amp to a 30amp plug. Once inside the boat, run electrical things until a breaker opens or you smell smoke or insulation burning. LOL

Durant I see your boat as a 30’ yacht.
No sign of camping.
Possibility even a bit pretentious.

Is that beautiful light yellow (hull) a factory yellow?
Or is it an aftermarket coating. I’d never again tie up to a float plane (rubber tire) float again if I had such a beautiful hull. Still haven’t fixed the black tire marks. As an Alaskan I should know better.

Eric, didn’t want it to be “pretentious”
Like you, I’m a small boat guy and love the benefits.
All the talk of needing 35 to 40ft, 15ft beams and such or it’s “camping” led me to have a lil fun.
I picked the colour out of factory gelcoat samples. Was trying to match my sailboat colours.
Get lots of compliments on the look.

PS... love Willards !!

I just am on the down hill curve of my 29 foot boat refit. By the time the job is done it will have been almost a year and a half. My refit guy didn't want me to add quartz or the like anywhere on the boat due to weight issues. I have added other items that have increased the boat weight a bit so I decided to follow his advise. So laminate counter tops for me, it is.

A few posts back I shared pictures and a “Tongue in cheek” post about my current 28fter having corion and leather... (a Helmsman 31 by the way...31 overall but a 28ft hull)
While is does have leather seating and corion counters, I only mentioned that to show that you don’t need 35-40ft to cruise the PNW... nor does it have to feel like “camping”...as was basically being implied in other posts.
The reality is I am a minimalist at heart and do consider my current boat relative luxury.... even with a 28ft hull.
In 2015, not long ago, I cruised late season in a Compac 23 pilothouse sailboat!
Ask me if 35ft is needed? I saw all the sights, was through 3 fall gales and was so close to whales at times it was scary.
So....definitely...YES...you CAN cruise the PNW, even late season!.... even on small boats, comfortably and safely...if you’re a competent captain!
I’ve done it and had company aboard multiple times on both boats.

Pictures show Desolation Sound, Johnstone Strait blow, Quastsi Bay, Echo Bay and a late fall gale. All late November/early December 2015
Yep, it had an Espar :)
Note frost on boat and docks at Echo Bay

Attachments

• 896D8A00-F14D-4908-8B29-D9CBF34A83B4.jpg
    896D8A00-F14D-4908-8B29-D9CBF34A83B4.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 11934AB2-B99A-4EA8-86A5-3D8E0B6AE384.jpg
    11934AB2-B99A-4EA8-86A5-3D8E0B6AE384.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 76BAF21E-402D-4451-9588-B5AC77AA9798.jpg
    76BAF21E-402D-4451-9588-B5AC77AA9798.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 49BAB0F5-F143-42C7-827A-8D6A7EF8C3A1.jpg
    49BAB0F5-F143-42C7-827A-8D6A7EF8C3A1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 37
  • C7A3E0E6-7BAB-4A89-8025-E0D005F02EBB.jpg
    C7A3E0E6-7BAB-4A89-8025-E0D005F02EBB.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I bet Eric meant to say ostentatious.

“a great and deliberate display”
Looked it up.

Deliberate display seems the operative part.
As I said “a little bit pretentious” and durant said in post #105 “and yes leather” while describing his dinette one could say either pretentious or ostentatious using the qualifier “a little bit”. To get off the hook here (assuming I’m “on the hook”) I prolly shoulda said “a tiny bit”. But if I had a new Helmsman I’m sure I’d display at least a little but if pretentious or ostenatious behavior.

Very few people aren’t a little pretentious when they buy a new car, house or pleasure boat. And especially those that buy more than they should afford. I made the same “display” re my boat some time ago and I probably can claim a little pretentiousness there to. Not the “display” pics where I didn’t “make my bed” and got called out for it too. Unless I was pretending to be a slob. but I’m going to get off the hook right now for being pretentious as who would post pics of an unmade bed for thousands to see on TF?

Durant I really like your old Compac 23. Reminds me so much of my old Albin 25 days.

We went to Juneau and Icy Strait w our little Albin. It was a bit small inside and most bumped their bodies here and there while moving about onboard and it had a nasty “snap roll” that your Compac didn’t have I’m sure. Some Albins had a stick and sail but not ours. But if we were to go to Juneau again I’d opt for the sailboat version.
As always love your pictures.

“a great and deliberate display”
Looked it up.

Deliberate display seems the operative part.
As I said “a little bit pretentious” and durant said in post #105 “and yes leather” while describing his dinette one could say either pretentious or ostentatious using the qualifier “a little bit”. To get off the hook here (assuming I’m “on the hook”) I prolly shoulda said “a tiny bit”. But if I had a new Helmsman I’m sure I’d display at least a little but if pretentious or ostenatious behavior.
?

Willy, it was an intentional display. But, not to show off my boat, rather to show off the fact that one certainly does not need 35-40 feet, nor a 15ft beam to cruise the PNW as was being implied. Further, one does not have to feel it’s like “camping” on a smaller vessel as was being implied.
Yep...I intentionally drove the point home as the original question on this thread was “can cruising the PNW be done on less than 35ft”

As we both know...”HELL YA” :)

Attachments

• BD6178C6-D14E-46A8-900D-581D5A881029.jpg
    BD6178C6-D14E-46A8-900D-581D5A881029.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Willy
Thanks for the kind words about my Compac 23 Pilothouse
I loved that little boat! Motorsailing she had good motion with the sails unfurled.
Huge Vberth for her size, stand up head, dinette and inside helm. Great little “mini cruiser”. Her shallow draft was awesome in the Florida Keys and Bahamas too.
Yep...
Trailered her to Indiantown Florida, launched, took her down through the Keys, then crossed the Gulf Stream in January to the Bahamas. Cruised up n down the Abaco chain and sailed her back across to Florida.
2 people, a golden retriever and a 4 month adventure.
That little boat took me around....
So...yep...small boats CAN cruise

Pic is Hopetown Harbour, Elbow Cay, Abacos
Famous candy striped lighthouse in rear

Attachments

• 276B35C8-93D8-45EA-A7C3-D7C811847C79.jpg
    276B35C8-93D8-45EA-A7C3-D7C811847C79.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Willy
Thanks for 5he kind words about my little Compac 23 Pilothouse
I loved that little boat! Motorsailing she had good motion with the sails unfurled.
Huge Vberth for her size, stand up head, dinette and inside helm. Great little “mini cruiser”. Her shallow draft was great in the Florida Keys and Bahamas too.
Yep...
Trailered her to Indiantown Florida, launched, took her down through the Keys, then crossed the Gulf Stream in January to the Bahamas. Cruised up n down the Abaco chain and sailed her back across to Florida.
2 people, a golden retriever and a 4 moth adventure.
That little boat took me around....
So...yep...small boats CAN cruise

Pic is Hopetown Harbour, Elbow Cay, Abacos
Famous candy striped lighthouse in rear

Sounds like you're ready to take the Compac across the Atlantic. :lol:

Sounds like you're ready to take the Compac across the Atlantic. :lol:

She handled the 65mile open ocean Gulf Stream crossing well, but I’m thinking better you than me crossing the Atlantic ?

Her new owner is enjoying sailing on Chesapeake Bay.

Yep...I intentionally drove the point home as the original question on this thread was “can cruising the PNW be done on less than 35ft”

Generally the boats can take punishment a lot more than people can, if they are designed and built for it.

Look at Beebe’s original book. He had lines for a heavy 25’ and also 30’, both of which would likely be able to cross oceans.

A few posts back I shared pictures and a “Tongue in cheek” post about my current 28fter having corion and leather... (a Helmsman 31 by the way...31 overall but a 28ft hull)
While is does have leather seating and corion counters, I only mentioned that to show that you don’t need 35-40ft to cruise the PNW... nor does it have to feel like “camping”...as was basically being implied in other posts.
The reality is I am a minimalist at heart and do consider my current boat relative luxury.... even with a 28ft hull.
In 2015, not long ago, I cruised late season in a Compac 23 pilothouse sailboat!
Ask me if 35ft is needed? I saw all the sights, was through 3 fall gales and was so close to whales at times it was scary.
So....definitely...YES...you CAN cruise the PNW, even late season!.... even on small boats, comfortably and safely...if you’re a competent captain!
I’ve done it and had company aboard multiple times on both boats.

Pictures show Desolation Sound, Johnstone Strait blow, Quastsi Bay, Echo Bay and a late fall gale. All late November/early December 2015
Yep, it had an Espar :)
Note frost on boat and docks at Echo Bay

Compac did a great job with space with the 23 Pilothouse. I really love the camperback enclosure on the cockpit! :thumb: Gives a lot more space on those rainy, windy days!

Jim

She handled the 65mile open ocean Gulf Stream crossing well, but I’m thinking better you than me crossing the Atlantic ?

Her new owner is enjoying sailing on Chesapeake Bay.
I'll do it. Where's the new owner. :thumb: Glad she went to a good steward.

Compac did a great job with space with the 23 Pilothouse. I really love the camperback enclosure on the cockpit! :thumb: Gives a lot more space on those rainy, windy days!

Jim

The canvas guy loved the challenge...
I took it a step further...had filler cushions made for a screened in double bunk for hot nights down south.

Thought I’d throw a Golden picture in to prove I wasnt kidding ?
Sadie loved the boat!
On guard at Hopetown, Elbow Cay

Attachments

• EA9E9A32-8EA7-454C-9F0C-BD183A8E361F.jpeg
    EA9E9A32-8EA7-454C-9F0C-BD183A8E361F.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 41C7BA12-00FD-4225-8018-54FFB39927EB.jpg
    41C7BA12-00FD-4225-8018-54FFB39927EB.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom