Old 09-27-2019, 11:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Mahimahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
The R2AK race course is around 750 miles and the record is under 4 days.
32ft sail boat.......

We talked to competitors on the dock in Ketchikan waiting for the ferry to get their kayaks home

darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:12 AM   #22
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Talking about real boats running full time then right? Otherwise not possible. Certainly not for paddle boats.
Averaging about 8 knots an hour for a 24 hour day.

78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Mahimahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
No not a paddle boat, a "small sailer with no power"

But what an achievement that is for a small tri. Given what you can encounter on that passage, fog, currents, floating timber, lots of corners to turn, wind shadows, plus of course weather, under 4 days is something else.

It does show that given a good crew and preparation, the size of the boat isn't really an issue.
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:42 AM   #24
Guru

Given the first description I saw, that is the kind of boats I thought was doing this. Obviously not, to do it in 4 days. Made that trip over 50 times by tugboat when I was doing that some years ago. Boat must sail like a witch to make that kind of time. Amazing, must have fair wind 24/7. Rather unusual.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:53 AM   #25

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Spinner
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 42
Pay attention to wind and currents, and wait for good conditions at the major crossings....absolutely you can do that with a “small trawler!”

I took my 31 Ranger Tug (prior boat) to Alaska and back in 2017. While there, I ran into a couple on their 24 Cutwater; they had a great time!

In 2018, friends took their 25 and 27 Ranger Tugs to Alaska.

Sue
42 Nordic Tug Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:47 PM   #26
Guru

City: Pembroke
Vessel Model: Helmsman Camano among several
“I call BS!”
This message brought to you from Emma B, 28ft hull, 31ft overall.
Currently in Nanaimo, returning northward after launching in Campbell River and travelling to Bellingham.
Will continue on to the Broughtons and this will be her 4th tour through that archipelago.
Durant F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #27
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
A few years ago Mark Bunzel, publisher of the Waggoner Guide, went from Anacortes to Ketchikan on his then 7-knot Albin 28 in 72 hours...
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #28
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Nameless
Vessel Model: 22' Sisu
I know people that have made that trip to AK in a C-Dory. I would have done it in our 22' C-Dory but never had the time. Buy the boat that works for you and enjoy! Be prepared, read, cruise with friends, take spares, but don't let the size stop you from having a great time. Remember it doesn't matter if it's a smaller 20' something vs 80' something - we're all enjoying the same water. The larger you go the more complicated the systems become and more that can go wrong. There are times all I want is my previous 22' C-Dory very basic systems, not much to go wrong. But then, I truly do enjoy more room specially when the family is with me and friends are too.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Pensacola
16, 19, 22 and 25 foot C "Dorys regularly ply these waters. We have been to the Broughtons from Sequim and a month in AK in our 25 foot C Dory and it was easier than the 4 trips we took in our Cal 46. We have seen solo kayaks doing the inland Passage.
thataway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #30
Guru

One question I have related to distance. Story says and quoted here the distance from PT to Ket at 750 miles or so? By what route would it be that far? Where do they go to add over 100 miles to the trip and why? According to the Hansen Handbook, distance from PT to Ket is 614 miles. Seattle to Ket is listed at 650 miles. What am I missing?

Is that perhaps true OTG distance traveled by electronic data?

Still having a hard time visualizing all of the constant, strong and fair winds to propel any sailboat to over an 8 knot average for 4 days.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
A few years ago Mark Bunzel, publisher of the Waggoner Guide, went from Anacortes to Ketchikan on his then 7-knot Albin 28 in 72 hours...
Pretty good. He would have to average over 8 knots an hour running 24/7.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #32
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
The boat (insert almost any name here) can take more than the captain.

I've had C Dorys and a Camano....both of those brands are considered small and undersized. BUT they both have taken many folks through the PNW and even up to AK.

Having an adventurous spirit does help though...

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #33
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
One question I have related to distance. Story says and quoted here the distance from PT to Ket at 750 miles or so? By what route would it be that far? Where do they go to add over 100 miles to the trip and why? According to the Hansen Handbook, distance from PT to Ket is 614 miles. Seattle to Ket is listed at 650 miles. What am I missing?

Is that perhaps true OTG distance traveled by electronic data?

Still having a hard time visualizing all of the constant, strong and fair winds to propel any sailboat to over an 8 knot average for 4 days.
Over several times making the trip to Ketchikan from various starting points in WA, the shortest distance I have recorded was 671nm, Anacortes to KTN. This is taking pretty much the most direct route, distance over ground recorded by GPS/chartplotter. With just a bit of poking around along the way, or starting further south than Anacortes, we easily get up to 750 or 800nm.

BTW, we are among those who have cruised SE Alaska (starting in Prince Rupert) in a C-Dory 22.
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Meridian 391
Anything is possible in theory, there have been people who crossed the Atlantic in a 13 foot boat. For me it all depends on the crew and expectations. Water and fuel can be issues as well as space and comfort. Most will not go to Desolation without a water maker. Others, just drink beer and don't shower. Again anything is possible, my crew needs a little comfort or it will not be nice.
Barabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #35
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDiver View Post
At Seattle's TrawlerFest last year, we were told by a number of professionals and trawler owners that a trawler less than 35 feet long was too small to cruise the San Juan and Gulf Islands and into Desolation Sound --- because it would not have the tonnage needed to withstand the wind and waves we might encounter in the Strait of Juan de Fuca or even in the Vancouver roads.

Were we misinformed?

I ask because I have just read a post from a couple who own a 25' motorcruiser and are asking for cruising ground recommendations in the San Juan area. No one replied "Whoa, that boat is too small for cruising this area!"

We'd like to buy a displacement motorcruiser on which we can spend weekends and two to three weeks at a time, but we can't afford a boat over 30 feet, and would prefer one that isn't much over 28 feet.

I am grateful for all comments!
Lemme think. Was he saying the 'old' OAL or the 'new' OAL. Perhaps a reference to the WLL. The document OAL for my 2008 American Tug is 34 feet. Same hull, newer models.... now 36ft. Ask, is he including the swim platform?
I have yet to find anyone willing to sleep on the swim platform even if I promise to duct tape them to the swim platform.

Soooooo, if my 34 is too short, while adding on the swim platform makes it a 36, makes it long enough. I must conclude, it is not the length but rather, hull design and skill plus listening to the predicted weather, current weather observations and the very important but, ofter overlooked 'common sense.'

Two footnotes,
1. depends also on how much 'stuff' we put on board and the 'loading'.
It will increase your WLL
2. we are all ignoring those few inches that no one counts except the dock master when you rent a slip.

Allow me to a relate first hand true event that occurred about 20 years ago. 2 adults and one young adult guy. They were all headed down the east coast ICW. I never saw the size of the trawler but, I did see the young man in an approx 18 ft runabout making pretty good time. He told me, his parents told him, if he wanted the run-about in FL for the winter, he would have to drive it down there and he did. I assure he also drove north at the end of the season. LOL I am sure it was a great adventure for him.
He could be the advance guard, scouting the waters ahead and making the slip reservations. LOL
Old 10-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #36
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barabus View Post
Anything is possible in theory, there have been people who crossed the Atlantic in a 13 foot boat. For me it all depends on the crew and expectations. Water and fuel can be issues as well as space and comfort. Most will not go to Desolation without a water maker. Others, just drink beer and don't shower. Again anything is possible, my crew needs a little comfort or it will not be nice.
Yup...we did six months by sea kayak and drank creek water the whole time.

One doesn't know the meaning of luxury until you have your first hot shower in two months.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Portland
I lived for the better part of a decade in Juneau Alaska and owned a 27’ SeaSport that I drove all over SE Alaska including several dive trips along the outer coast between Cross Sound and Sitka.

Personally one of the reasons for getting a smaller boat (aside from trailerablity) is the ability to go faster at a plane without burning obscene amounts of fuel. So I’d be reluctant to buy something that is both small and slow. At least for long distance cruising.
Camasonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #38

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Cruising small boats.

We went all over Puget Sound for 3 years in a C Dory 22 with a Honda 75 outboard. You need to be cognizant of the weather, the tides and the forecast and don’t put yourself in a position where you “Have” to be somewhere but that advice pretty much holds true to any boat and location.
A well built, well maintained boat designed for that purpose will be fine. Just keep aware. You’ll be fine.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Belmont, CA,
Vessel Name: Se la Vi 2
Vessel Model: FuHwa, 35 feet, built aka a Taiwan Tub
The PO of our 35 foot Fu Hwa trawler took her twice from San Francisco to the Sea of Cortez. He showed me some harrowing pictures of waves crashing up to the flybridge but he said the vessel handled very well. No risk of swamping either because of the many scuppers on either side. The other folks who responded confirmed that hull size is not always a limitation but seamanship can be.
88FuHwa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #40
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDiver View Post
At Seattle's TrawlerFest last year, we were told by a number of professionals and trawler owners that a trawler less than 35 feet long was too small to cruise the San Juan and Gulf Islands and into Desolation Sound --- because it would not have the tonnage needed to withstand the wind and waves we might encounter in the Strait of Juan de Fuca or even in the Vancouver roads.

Were we misinformed?

I ask because I have just read a post from a couple who own a 25' motorcruiser and are asking for cruising ground recommendations in the San Juan area. No one replied "Whoa, that boat is too small for cruising this area!"

We'd like to buy a displacement motorcruiser on which we can spend weekends and two to three weeks at a time, but we can't afford a boat over 30 feet, and would prefer one that isn't much over 28 feet.

I am grateful for all comments!
A couple of comments:

1. At shows, there are a lot of boat sales persons. While some do boat, most do very little boating. They also may steer customers based on what they sell. Not the best source of information.

2. There's a big difference in two very similar comments. I try to be very careful with wording, myself. For instance, one might say, "I wouldn't personally cruise there in anything under 35'". That is very different than saying "You shouldn't cruise there in anything under 35'." Now, a person knowledgeable of the area is going to tell you that people cruise there in every size boat imaginable. Far more small boats than large. Just walk some docks and you'll see.

3. You say a "25' motorcruiser" and a "displacement motorcruiser". I can't give you an answer. I have no idea what boat you're talking about. Tell me the boat and the experience of the person doing it and I can give better advice.

4. If you want to see a wide range of boats being used in an area, walk some marinas in the area or rent a small boat and cruise around some marinas and then watch the boats around you.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote