Old 10-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Storm Michael, what not to do!

So I was preparing for storm Michael and I fell on my dock and broke my ankle and tore some tendons. I'm pretty much useless now, on crutches and so on. My neighbor is helping tie her down and we should be OK as long as the storm stays to the east. We have very good protection from the north.
If it moves west I'm in deep trouble. I will have it tied up the best I can given the circumstances. I was planning to run to Pensacola today but no way I can get on the boat.
I hope my insurance covers me because I will do what I can but am limited to adding a lot of lines and my neighbor will get an anchor out for me to the SE.
I feel really stupid because I fell on two steps that are on the dock and I have traversed hundreds of times. Just wasn't looking. DUH!
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Sucks!!

Any way you can hire a deckhand or two to ride with you to a safer place?
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
Guru

I'm working on that. hopefully don't need to do it as long as it stays to the east of us...
Old 10-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #4

City: Watch Hill RI
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Up here in New England, most owners haul their boats when forecasts indicate a close or direct hit to their home port. Most insurance companies up here will not cover storm damage from any "named storm" if the boat is not hauled or moved to a proven "hurricane hole". Insurance coverage will pay for 50% of the cost to do a named storm related short haul. In over 40 years with a boat on a mooring in Rhode Island, I've hauled the boat for about 6 hurricanes. I'm always amazed when I see the videos of Southern boats sunk or thrown up on shore, leaving their boats in the water in the worse possible place... tied up to a floating dock slip.
Puffin_NT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin_NT32 View Post
Up here in New England, most owners haul their boats when forecasts indicate a close or direct hit to their home port. Most insurance companies up here will not cover storm damage from any "named storm" if the boat is not hauled or moved to a proven "hurricane hole". Insurance coverage will pay for 50% of the cost to do a named storm related short haul. In over 40 years with a boat on a mooring in Rhode Island, I've hauled the boat for about 6 hurricanes. I'm always amazed when I see the videos of Southern boats sunk or thrown up on shore, leaving their boats in the water in the worse possible place... tied up to a floating dock slip.
And just where exactly would you haul all the boats in Florida? You're able to haul in New England because facilities are there to haul during the winter. We don't celebrate winter. You're talking about the impossible.

I've also never seen an insurance policy that didn't cover if a boat wasn't hauled or moved. They require hurricane plans but that doesn't mean they don't cover otherwise.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #6

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
I'm working on that. hopefully don't need to do it as long as it stays to the east of us...
Sorry to hear of your injury. Looks like it might be a close call for Michael to move east of Destin/Niceville. That's a gamble that I would hate to make! Finding a crew then head west past Pensacola to Gulfshore (Several marinas there that I would consider good hurricane holes) would be my first option if I'm relatively healthy. Most of all be safe, with a crippling injury that you just experienced no boat is worth putting yourself in harms way.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
Guru

yeah, the one marina that does haul outs for storms, charges 10,000 for the first storm haul out and 5K for each after that. Then they put you about 4 feet above sea level. When opal and Ivan hit the that marina looked like a grave yard of boats. Boats scattered up on the highway.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BB. Our previous insurance company, as a result of Sandy, changed it's hurricane policy whereby unless we were hauled and stored ashore during any named storms they would not cover damages.

The home port we were in at the time was a hurricane hole with a historical .01% chance of being hit by a cat 2 or greater. The closest haul out facilities were on the Outer Banks of NC. So in order to keep our coverage in effect we were required to move our boat from a safe place to a place that regularly got walloped with pretty well everything that came up the east coast.

No amount of factual evidence would sway their policy. That's why they are our FORMER insurance company.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Sorry to hear about your fall. My wife fell 3.5 years ago on a step on our deck. Shattered her right arm at the shoulder. She just had her 5th shoulder surgery a month ago. We are hoping that this one fixes it. 3 months ago our dog and the neighbors dog ran into her leg and broke her foot. The boot came off last Friday. It has been a long haul for her. Our deck is stained dark brown so I took some bright blue paint and painted a strip on the edge of the stairs so hopefully she will see the edge of the steps and not fall again. As we get older we have to do everything we can to stop the injury before it happens. Maybe some bright blue paint is in order for your dock steps???
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Sucks!!

Any way you can hire a deckhand or two to ride with you to a safer place?
Seas already picking up. He's probably in about as safe a place as he could reach anyway. I show 6' seas now, 8' by tomorrow morning (both with short periods), 12' by this time Wed morning. 16' by Wednesday night.

We're currently in the Bahamas, but it seems to me that the escalation of the Michael forecast was rather last minute. I looked yesterday morning and max forecast was CAT 1 and two days ago it was TS. Now, it's a CAT 2 by tonight and a CAT 3 by Tuesday night. Is this what others of you have seen or did I miss something along the way?
Old 10-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Not my general experience and not my insurance companies I have had.

Each person might have different situationsvthat need to be evaluated.

I would never haul my boat at my marina if a Cat1 was coming close or anything greater anywhere's near. Way too exposed snd the storage area is only a few feet above high tide so hauling would be a poor choice. Boats washed ofc yhrir stands in Sandy and the ones on the main fliating dock rodd it out fine. But a slight wind change could have changed that too.

My insurancd pays up to $500 to haul or move. Hurricane hauls not at your own marina can get pricey. I never heard of a "proven" hurricane hole as there are still variables.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
yeah, the one marina that does haul outs for storms, charges 10,000 for the first storm haul out and 5K for each after that. Then they put you about 4 feet above sea level. When opal and Ivan hit the that marina looked like a grave yard of boats. Boats scattered up on the highway.
Many haul out marinas have experienced worse than in water in the same area for just the reasons you describe. You have to get to NC to find a true hurricane haul out marina. One with all the built in ties and adequately elevated plus with any wind protection. This is other than those on the Okeechobee which have a reasonably good history but are limited in size.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Up here in New England, most owners haul their boats when forecasts indicate a close or direct hit to their home port. .
That is not accurate. I've boated out of Mystic, Ct for 30 years. Most boats by far stay in the water.
Our marina hauls maybe 2 dozen boats at the most (perhaps 10% of the marina).
Then those slips get filled by boats on moorings in the harbor. Then they tie down the marina and set anchors from every boat on the outside slips, and tie anchor rodes to pilings for those on the inside slips.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #14
Guru

Years ago I was accused of having an investment in the tape or paint company from all the yellow strips I ordered for steps. And, yellow is the color, rather than blue. Far more visible. Any change in elevation or steps should be marked, although very few are. As we age, our ability to detect the changes and curbs and small steps diminishes.

I'm guessing you didn't completely miss or hit the steps but you hit them awkwardly, not centered, just the edge, to twist your ankle as it did. I feel for you, doing something you've done hundreds of times but just missing slightly.

Make sure they fix your ankle completely and right. Although it seems like you've found more than enough damage with the break and torn tendons, if you haven't had an MRI, I'd still get one at some point. Initially, the blood from the tendons can make it difficult to see everything. Just make sure they've found all the damage.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Blue is the accent color on our house so blue strips it is. They are highly visible since they are about the same color as painters tape.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #16
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
This is all my fault guys because I just bought a boat in St Pete. Days later they started talking about this damn storm.

Just my luck...I buy a boat and a hurricane forms and heads right for it
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
To me, of course from thousands of miles away, this looks like a easy to run away from storm.

I would be in my boat heading west along the ICW.

A person could be 400 miles west by Wednesday morning.

Safe from harm in their boat. I would grab the family, grab the dog, and get outta town.

The plywood on your house windows should already be up, by now, so to me all you need to do is run.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Kevin, you must have missed the last hurricane thread where some said it's impossible to guess and miss the storm...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Kevin, you must have missed the last hurricane thread where some said it's impossible to guess and miss the storm...
OK......

I am not a hurricane expert, but simple logic says to not delay.

Personally I would be much happier several hundred miles away sitting happily in my boat than hunkered down in my house, or sitting in a red cross shelter, or a motel several hundred miles inland.

Seems to me thast just like folks in other areas preparing for the risks prevelant in their area, hurricane areas would prepare as well.

Boat always with full tanks, food onboard and in ready to depart condition.

House with pre-cut plywood for the windows, backup power, food and water stashed just in case.

I would have plywooded up the house yesterday, called out sick from work this morning, and been gone at first light.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #20
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Roger, I’m really sorry about your ankle.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote