Old 06-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #41
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
There's a couple of YC that we frequent, they have a bow in only policy. For visiting boats that can sometimes be a problem getting services to the boat if their cables aren't long enough.
Any particular reason they state for bow in only?

Are they in a high cross current area?

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Any particular reason they state for bow in only?

Are they in a high cross current area?
I've seen it done for a couple of reasons. First is because of depths. Some marinas only have the quoted depths in the back half of the slips. That's as far as they dredge.

Some just like uniformity.

Then some that are covered do it to keep engine fumes and exhaust outside and even as a small bit of fire precaution.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #43
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Depths I can see....the rest are pretty weak.

What fire hazard? Do they turn away side exhaust boats? Wind blows exhaust in all directions. Uniformity?.....holy you know what....I guess double ender sailboats confuse them.

I could see bad cross currents might result in a lot of broken pilings.

So far I gave never stayed at a marina with those kind of rules....thankfully...anyhow, the depth thing is a no brainer.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Depths I can see....the rest are pretty weak.

What fire hazard? Do they turn away side exhaust boats? Wind blows exhaust in all directions. Uniformity?.....holy you know what....I guess double ender sailboats confuse them.

I could see bad cross currents might result in a lot of broken pilings.

So far I gave never stayed at a marina with those kind of rules....thankfully...anyhow, the depth thing is a no brainer.
I'm talking covered slips on the fire and exhaust. Don't see many double ender sailboats in covered slips. As to where I have heard the exhaust and fire as a concern it's been on lakes where over the years those with covered boathouses have gotten much more scared as have their insurers. Typically those built today have openings in the middle. Those on houseboat lakes have had the most problems. Now you do get less exhaust and noise if the engine and exhaust are toward the open side, not in the middle. The fire concern is a belief, probably wrong, but on their part, that most fires originate from the engine room. So having it to the outside reduces the risk to others and allows more time.

You don't run across this much on the coast.

However, we do dock sometimes in a building enclosed on three sides. Everyone does dock bow in. With people warming up or cooling down diesel engines and most exhaust toward the stern it lessons both noise and exhaust fumes. The uncovered boats right beside this building all dock stern in. One other difference other than the building is that the boats inside have full walk ways on all sides, those outside only have short finger piers on one side.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote