Old 06-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #21
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Well I survived getting into the new slip, but it wasn't pretty. Didn't hit anything, but I came awfully close to a piling. Two marina staff on the dock made it possible. I backed in. My boat definitely goes where it wants in reverse. Once it starts going a particular direction it takes more than a boat length to change that direction. I am thinking I will go bow in next time and back out.

TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Pretty much my philosophy on any slip is if it diminishes your pleasure in boating, then it's not right for you. Can't measure to determine that. Then sometimes we do what we must based on options. I don't like to med moor, but places you have no choice. I prefer single slips to double but double are more profitable for marinas. Plus indirectly they may be benefiting you by allowing more boats and with single you might not even have a slip.

Ownership generally entitles one to a specific slip, but every marina rental contract I've ever seen has allowed them to choose to reassign. However, most marinas don't reassign without your agreement. Maybe they can legally but they realize it's a lousy business practice. Open letter to marinas: "If you forget that I'm the customer, then I may find another marina that remembers who the customer is."

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
... Open letter to marinas: "If you forget that I'm the customer, then I may find another marina that remembers who the customer is."
That is what I am doing.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
That is what I am doing.
I'm returning to one point from your first post. You said they moved it. Do you mean you showed up and they had already moved it or did you mean they told you that you'd been reassigned?
Old 06-04-2015, 12:26 AM   #25
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Quote:
Pretty much my philosophy on any slip is if it diminishes your pleasure in boating, then it's not right for you. Can't measure to determine that. Then sometimes we do what we must based on options. I don't like to med moor, but places you have no choice. I prefer single slips to double but double are more profitable for marinas. Plus indirectly they may be benefiting you by allowing more boats and with single you might not even have a slip.

Ownership generally entitles one to a specific slip, but every marina rental contract I've ever seen has allowed them to choose to reassign. However, most marinas don't reassign without your agreement. Maybe they can legally but they realize it's a lousy business practice. Open letter to marinas: "If you forget that I'm the customer, then I may find another marina that remembers who the customer is."
That is fine,but here there is exactly one marina. The slip I got is pretty much the only option. On top of that we pay by the season. So although the slip isn't ideal it is the one I have.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:45 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
That is fine,but here there is exactly one marina. The slip I got is pretty much the only option. On top of that we pay by the season. So although the slip isn't ideal it is the one I have.
That definitely makes the situation impossible.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:45 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
I'm returning to one point from your first post. You said they moved it. Do you mean you showed up and they had already moved it or did you mean they told you that you'd been reassigned?
They moved it and emailed me afterwards. No warning, discussion, permission, agreement, inspection.
Others were not told at all, going to "their" slip, finding a different boat,and searching for theirs on the 3 marina arms.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:06 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
They moved it and emailed me afterwards. No warning, discussion, permission, agreement, inspection.
Others were not told at all, going to "their" slip, finding a different boat,and searching for theirs on the 3 marina arms.
That would infuriate me as a real violation of trust and decency. There is no excuse for moving anyone's boat without their permission unless an emergency. They don't know how everything is set, systems, even seacocks or batteries. Inexcusable.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:24 AM   #29
Guru

To be fair the staff tow, not drive. Quite well, they keep in practice. The usual reason to shuffle boats is $ return maximization. I`m not accepting it, plan to leave this weekend.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:21 AM   #30
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
That sucks! Not a situation I would want to be subject.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
To be fair the staff tow, not drive. Quite well, they keep in practice. The usual reason to shuffle boats is $ return maximization. I`m not accepting it, plan to leave this weekend.
Poetic justice would be for someone to show up, see their boat not where they left it, call the police to report it stolen. One simple courtesy phone call surely isn't that hard for them.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #32
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
I`m not accepting it, plan to leave this weekend.
Bruce, you have the patience of Job! I can honestly say that if that happened to me, the marina office (Dock Master) would have more trouble than they could ever imagine......in-excusable!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #33
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
I must say if someone moved my boat without my permission the would be a sh"t storm of monumental proportion dropped on them. (Emergency excluded of course)

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #34
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Some must not comprehend the average marina manager mentality or read their marina contract.

I was asked to leave a marina while pulling in last spring because the manager insisted in telling me how to handle my boat while docking. I insisted that it was my responsibility and insurance that would pay if something went wrong....tell me where to dock but not how.

He asked me to leave even before all the lines were on...the guy with the trawler in front that we almost hit because the manager want paying attention was shocked as he was out helping and couldn't beleive the manager was forgetting the spring line.

Some managers and dock masters have a bit of an ego problem.

Some will say I have one also..but like I said...push comes to shove..it's me and my insurance that pays....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #35
Guru

There is no written marina contract(see above). My reading of the owner is nothing positive, perhaps something negative, would come from confrontation. I spent a professional life enthusiastically confronting people in and out of Court, but always consider the whole situation, before barging in. Attacking the staff is pointless, they just obey owners instructions. My best solution was to get out of there. I made other arrangements, gave a month`s notice, leaving him to connect the dots, which he did.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #36
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
There is no written marina contract(see above). My reading of the owner is nothing positive, perhaps something negative, would come from confrontation. I spent a professional life enthusiastically confronting people in and out of Court, but always consider the whole situation, before barging in. Attacking the staff is pointless, they just obey owners instructions. My best solution was to get out of there. I made other arrangements, gave a month`s notice, leaving him to connect the dots, which he did.
Very pragmatic Bruce. What is the name of the problem marina? It always good to know where not to go, in addition to where you should go.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Sometimes people don't precisely interpret instructions and I have no idea if this is one of those cases as I doubt seriously it is. But a possibility is owner says to reassign, employees move the boats without contacting the boat owners. Now in that case the owner didn't actually instruct them to do as they did. As to avoiding confrontation, nothing wrong with that. Had they not connected the dots, I would have made sure they knew the reasons. Perhaps then next time they'd contact owners as appropriate.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:33 AM   #38
FF
Guru

"I am thinking I will go bow in next time and back out."

Usually much easier to control as well as far more privacy while aboard , a big PLUS!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #39
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"I am thinking I will go bow in next time and back out."

Usually much easier to control as well as far more privacy while aboard , a big PLUS!
+1 We have a very "sociable" dock & to back in is just asking for too much company.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #40
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
There's a couple of YC that we frequent, they have a bow in only policy. For visiting boats that can sometimes be a problem getting services to the boat if their cables aren't long enough.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote