Old 10-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Slip-sliding away...

Well, buggers.

We trailered our dinghy over to the Seminole Boat Ramp in Clearwater, FL yesterday to go out for a little spin. Unfortunately, the ramp was extremely slimy. I slipped on the ramp, sliding further down into the water, scraped my shoulder, left a two inch cut on the bottom of my right foot, and wrenched my right knee. Overnight, it was badly swollen and stiff. And I needed to get a new phone, too. It was in my pocket when I went down into the water and now it is dead.

Just came back from the ER. Woke up about 2:00 am and knew the knee thing wasn’t a simple twist. X-Rays showed a fracture on the tibial plateau. However, the CT scan said otherwise. Doctor feels it is a torn ACL and referred me to an Ortho. Will call tomorrow to set up the appointment. Gave me a tetanus shot and two antibiotics for the cut on my foot and a leg brace and crutches for the knee issue. The Ortho will probably want an MRI. It’ll be interesting to see if there are any ligament tears.

And replaced my trusty-but-waterlogged iPhone 6 with a the new iPhone Xs.

Ugh.

Be careful on those ramps out there!
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Sounds like things can only get better. Sorry about your luck and hope you heal soon.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. JE. Sorry for your misfortune but thanks for the "heads up" or "tails up"...

You raise a VERY valid concern for some of the TF members who may not be as nimble as they once were (myself included). Last winter I was walking down our slanted lane, which was icy at the time, and slipped landing squarely on my back. I think the position of my fall is what saved me injury other than a sore back for a week or two. I could have easily fallen crooked and landed on my shoulder or elbow with unknown but potentially injurious results. Ice grippers from now on IF conditions are the least bit questionable. Same goes for footwear on the boat. NOT ice grippers but proper shoes with good soles and at least one hand on the boat.

I cringe when members ask what is the best finish for teak swim steps. Oil? Varnish? Cetol? ALL recipes for slippage IMO. Leave the teak natural please.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Ouch! Low tide on a boat ramp can be very dangerous. Hope you heal quickly.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Ouch. Been there done that.... the results fixed themselves without quack shack interference but it did take a while. Have yet to drown a phone. (Knocks on genuine simulated wood).
Old 10-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #6

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
Caution on the open wounds. Friend in Tampa had similar accident a couple of years ago & wound up in hospital for a couple of weeks with infection in spine that Drs attributed to aquatic bacteria he acquired at boat ramp. I believe he’d earlier had a disc procedure that possibly wasn’t fully healed.
HEY JUDE, a 1986 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee, #46 of 99. After 13 yrs on Lake Travis she's on Clear Lake TX being prepped for coastal cruising.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Oh man. Sorry to hear that! Get well soon!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #8
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Ouch, Ouch, OUCH! Heal fast!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. JE. Sorry for your misfortune but thanks for the "heads up" or "tails up"...

You raise a VERY valid concern for some of the TF members who may not be as nimble as they once were (myself included). Last winter I was walking down our slanted lane, which was icy at the time, and slipped landing squarely on my back. I think the position of my fall is what saved me injury other than a sore back for a week or two. I could have easily fallen crooked and landed on my shoulder or elbow with unknown but potentially injurious results. Ice grippers from now on IF conditions are the least bit questionable. Same goes for footwear on the boat. NOT ice grippers but proper shoes with good soles and at least one hand on the boat.

I cringe when members ask what is the best finish for teak swim steps. Oil? Varnish? Cetol? ALL recipes for slippage IMO. Leave the teak natural please.
Sperry "Stop Sliders" Err, Top Siders... are a good choice!
Old 10-14-2018, 09:14 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,I cringe when members ask what is the best finish for teak swim steps. Oil? Varnish? Cetol? ALL recipes for slippage IMO. Leave the teak natural please.
I draw the line at Cetol or varnish on the swimstep but the Deks Olje no.1 oil we use has not been slippery. But, experiences vary.
Beware parking lot plastic strip dividers. I slid on one, in rain, sloping to the kerb.Kept my balance until I hit the gutter, flipped, landed on my back on the gutter right angle edge > compression fracture of the L1 vertebra.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:48 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I have had the soles of "Top Siders" age out and get very slippery. This has happened serially on about three pair. Great when new, but...be careful out there.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:12 AM   #12
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
John, be careful on those crutches! When I was 20 years younger I could fly around on the crutches when I had a knee injury. Now at 65, when I injured my ankle last week in prep for the hurricane, I thought I was going to kill myself on those. Be careful on them. Hope its nothing serious and you heal fast.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:36 AM   #13
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
I have had the soles of "Top Siders" age out and get very slippery. This has happened serially on about three pair. Great when new, but...be careful out there.
Were they the "real" Sperry Top Siders... or imo-tread shoes? There are plenty of imos out there. If real Sperry - how many years before wear out? And, if the real ones are wearing out faster these days, then they are being constructed of different materials compared to yester year. Also, keep an eye on soles of any non-skid boat shoe; replace as necessary. $100 +/- bucks for new shoes every couple years is really cheap, help-insurance against potential calamity of falling's results!
Old 10-15-2018, 06:24 AM   #14
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Hope it turns out to be scrapes and bruises rather than tears and fractures.

Not sure of the area you are in but if those cuts don't heal well, as expected, get to the Dr. QUICK--if there is any chance of Vibrio in the area.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:58 AM   #15
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
I concur with the concerns of infection. Broken bones and Iphones are one thing but the risk of infection bothers me the most.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:29 AM   #16
Guru

Thanks for the thoughts and concerns, everyone. Seeing the Ortho today at 1:00 for the knee but, yeah, it's the cut on the foot that's really causing me concern. It doesn't feel infected or anything. The ER gave me a tetanus shot and two antibiotics that they said are specifically for fighting bacteria from cuts in salt water (didn't realize there was such a thing). The water at the ramp was nasty-smelling and dirty. Really hoping the antibiotics kick whatever was in that water.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #17

City: Stony Point, NY
Vessel Name: VARKA
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 43 PH
Best of luck, and speedy recovery!
AdmiralS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Please please please be obsessive when it comes to the cut and infection and don't accept anyone's answer if you aren't satisfied. It's you who feels it and it's you who will suffer.

I'm so glad just to read you didn't hit your head. That's the most serious injury people often get on slick ramps and ice and other.

Around the water and boats and docks we're all really exposed to a lot of risks and I swear I thought that with age came wisdom but I've seen some older people do some dumb moves that even a kid wouldn't do. I'm not saying the OP's move was one as it just sounds like a horrible accident doing something routine. But please everyone take care and don't try to be macho or whatever the female equivalent is. That one injury can change your life forever as we've seen in some on this site.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

JohnEasley, we are in the Seminole area. Red Tide here is bad. Hard to breathe if too much exposure to the water, eyes are red and itchy. Water here is just nasty looking. I have to believe that the Red Tide micro-organisms are not good for open cuts. Look into taking extra precautions. Good luck.

M.
oldhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'm so glad just to read you didn't hit your head.

it just sounds like a horrible accident doing something routine. But please everyone take care and don't try to be macho or whatever the female equivalent is. That one injury can change your life forever as we've seen in some on this site.
Yeah, me too. My wife already wants to buy me a plastic helmet because I hit my head on things so often.

As you suspected, it was something routine that went sideways. Good reminder for everyone to be extra cautious.