Old 02-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Little over a year ago a fellow who'd heard of my background experience in repairing wood boats contacted me regarding a 42' GB woody he purchased. I'd looked at the same boat a few months earlier in thought of purchase and restoration. After careful survey on my own I'd decided against taking on that task due to the many needs apparent. It was an estate boat; had been neglected. The son of deceased was even willing to virtually give it to me just to see "dad's" boat restored. I offered a meeting with purchaser who called to give him guidance, but never again heard from him. He sounded as though he had starry eyes, not much wood boat background. Hope he did not pay too much and that the GB remains floating... or maybe even repaired.

Anyway... looking carefully at that wooden GB made me clearly recall my years working in boat yards in 1960's/70's on what were then older wood boats from the 20's 30's 40's 50's. Wood does not last unless meticulous care is consistently provided with some scheduled major refits... like all bottom fasteners replaced. Wood boats are nice in many ways; and, in too many ways, once they get older or not maintained, they can be not so nice!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #22
FF
Guru

Canada has a great affinity for wood boats , and your buck is bigger than a Loonie!

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:00 PM   #23
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Guess my woody GB-32 and my pal Dave's are relics that must be destroyed....who knew!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424487534.226262.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	37573
Old 02-20-2015, 10:50 PM   #24
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Guess my woody GB-32 and my pal Dave's are relics that must be destroyed....who knew!Attachment 37573
Not if you keep em up! And, can find dock space, insurance, haul-out.... etc.

It all falls under the ongoing force of "Creative Destruction"

"Creative destruction is a process through which something new brings about the demise of whatever existed before it."

i.e. - FRP is replacing wood for pleasure boats.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:59 PM   #25
Guru

Insured through Markel with no problems, no problem getting her hauled and no problems with the marine. Who would have guessed the PNW was such a great place.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:44 AM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
We know or have known a number of people with wood boats. Some are GBs some are "showroom" Chris Crafts from the 30s and 50s, some are other makes like Richardson. All of them have had no problems getting insurance (Anchor Marine, for example, the insurance broker we have used since we bought our fiberglass boat insures wood boats- contact Pau Hana of this forum if interested) and a lot if not all of the boatyards around here know how to haul and deal with wood boats.

So if one has an affinity for wood boats, or finds one they feel is the boat for them, there is no problem with insurance, service, or getting the boat hauled and worked on in this area. The same is true in BC and I'm sure SE Alaska as well.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #27
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We know or have known a number of people with wood boats. Some are GBs some are "showroom" Chris Crafts from the 30s and 50s, some are other makes like Richardson. All of them have had no problems getting insurance (Anchor Marine, for example, the insurance broker we have used since we bought our fiberglass boat insures wood boats- contact Pau Hana of this forum if interested) and a lot if not all of the boatyards around here know how to haul and deal with wood boats.

So if one has an affinity for wood boats, or finds one they feel is the boat for them, there is no problem with insurance, service, or getting the boat hauled and worked on in this area. The same is true in BC and I'm sure SE Alaska as well.
I'm quite sure wood boats do fine in most New England states too (TF member in the legal field living in Maine should be able to enlighten on that)

SF, CA area most docking mariners and boat repair yards are becoming more and more adverse to allowing wood boats. At least that is true of the ones I'm familiar with.

Would be good to hear from others in TF regarding their areas conditions regarding wood boats.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #28
Guru

Marin is spot on and is just around the harbor from us. As for California just another reason to stay away.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:30 PM   #29
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Marin is spot on and is just around the harbor from us. As for California just another reason to stay away.
Thank You! Our little 313 person, no postal delivery town in a protected rural valley of a few thousand, not far from Sir Francis Drake Bay and north of SF by 45 minutes, needs no more inhabitants!
Old 02-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #30

City: St Petersburg
Vessel Name: MY Big Woody
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Alaskan
Thank you for all the feedback. The boat was pulled at a slipway in Tarpon Springs last month before I bought her and they agreed to continue in the future although I think Sneads would be closer to Saint Petersburg. I will look into that next year. What I need, that a slip way will not allow, is a place to do the water line to the cap rails myself in a yard. I am currently in the water at a do-it-yourself yard working on the cosmetic and window repairs. I will keep you all posted on the progress with pictures.

gbroughman is offline   Reply With Quote