Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #21

RE: Slime

Gonzo,

For what its worth, in our area, I am noticing this last month especially, enough growth in 2-3 weeks to slow boats down. Even that black triiple engine arneson driven 1,320hp beast down the dock is getting slowed down in that amount of time. While I would expect the growth to affect the overall performance less on a slower boat, even a little growth (or a line?) on the prop will slow you down. Unless you cleaned it yourself last time I would double check to make sure the prop is smooth as a new born baby's behind. Also, if the diver scratches the paint on your prop, it gives the growth even more places to take hold faster.

Next time you haul, I would spend the money for Prop Speed. We hauled our boat 12 months after putting it on. Even with minimal use the first 12 months due to all the other work going on, we only put a diver under the boat once, and because we ran it once a month, had very little growth on the prop. The paint was in good enough shape after 12 months to leave it alone, and we still have had very little growth on it this summer. While it is marketed more to the high performance boats, I feel it is worth the money on cruising boats like ours too.....

JMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

ARoss,I'm wondering if maybe your tach needs warming up. Is it non-electronic? Perhaps a cable drive? If you go 6 knots at 90 degrees and 270 degrees delivers 8 knots your speed is about 7 knots and the tidal current is 1 knot. Thats about as close as one can get to your real speed through the water.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:58 AM   #23
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Slime

Hi Tim... I didn't know you lurked around here. YAY!

Like I said, the prop seem clean. I dove on it when we were in Beaufort two weeks ago. However, I didn't put a magnifying glass on it. We're probably going to pull her out sometime this Fall and do a few little projects. We'll see then what is going on under there. But we are also thinking about putting a diver on her to de-slime her before the Summer ends. Just to disprove the theory.

I suppose I'm still wondering where those 150 rpm's went. I wonder if it's just a throttle cable adjustment. You get kid of tangled up in it whenever you go into the engine bay, having to push a pull it to get past it. I wonder if I have knocked it out of adjustment. Are there "stops" that mark the high limit of the throttle like there are for the idle speed?

What is Prop Speed?

Tom-
Skinny Dippin'
New Bern, NC

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Friday 3rd of September 2010 04:58:48 AM
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:47 AM   #24
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

http://www.propspeedusa.com/*I've had it on my boat for about a year and a half and it works great! Tricky to apply, although it can be done but takes two people, since you have to etch then coat immediately.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #25
Guru

Interesting stuff, but I'm skeptical to its comparative effectiveness. I used a similar system when we were out in December that included a primer coat with Petit hard bottom paint applied to it and we have virtually no growth on our gear either (after 9 months). I talked to a few "old salts" about it and what they said was that they have tried about everything they could think of to stop it and none of it worked and better than just leaving it bare and running the boat often. But I applied it anyway since the process was so cheap to do. Literally was about $30. I don't know what Pro Speed costs, but I would venture that it's FAR more expensive than that. Does it work better than what I did? I certainly am not the one to answer that, but what I can tell you is that what we did, including the regular usage, has worked swimmingly.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #26
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

Several have commented that I should factor in wind, current, heading in figuring out actual speed thru the water. From our marina, there's only one place to go - a straight shot 120 deg down the Pamlico River. Took the boat our Sunday to a raftup ~ 6 miles downstream, and during the run (no wind, very little current) the GPS speed gradually climbed from 6.6 to 7.3 kts @ 2000 rpm. On the way back, 4 hours later, I ran 7.3 kts the whole way, same throttle setting. To me, this seems to remove most or all of the wind/current issue, and I attribute it to reduced drag as the slime worked itself off the boat.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #27
Guru

Top speed is not the issue (although, I haven't measured, or noted, any loss of speed at cruising rpm's), I lost 150 rpm's at WOT and was wondering if more drag on the bottom created by slime could be partially at fault.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Gonzo,Your problem is not slime. It's mechanical.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #29
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:

Top speed is not the issue (although, I haven't measured, or noted, any loss of speed at cruising rpm's), I lost 150 rpm's at WOT and was wondering if more drag on the bottom created by slime could be partially at fault.
Gonzo,

You mentioned getting in and past the engine you may have to*move the cable.* Check that you didn't move the outside of the cable at the end points. On a Bowden cable if the end points are not clamped down tight enough it will change the throw of the lever.

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #30
Guru

Will do.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #31
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote
Gonzo,
Your problem is not slime. It's mechanical.
Couldn't agree more.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote