Sliding window channels....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
It's time to replace the leaking window channels on my three sliding windows. I see there are two kinds available; the felt type and the solid plastic type. Which one is better?

I have the felt and replaced it 5 years ago. The windows slide open and don't rattle, the potential to rattle is what I would worry about using plastic.

Plastic on the bottom where the glass rests. Felt fuzz for the surrounds. Easier to wash out the salt crud and keep it sliding smoother.

Have used both over the years. I favor the plastic (Beckson Brand only) by far.
The valor material in the metal stuff gets mildew and is impossible to get it out plus it does rot away, and caulking does not stick to the SS well at all. The plastic track grips the glass slightly, no rattles, nothing to rot away, and can be caulked in tight and is actually more watertight. It does however take a wider space to install it in.

I have had the felt in the metal type for years. Don't like it. It is a PIA to set screws so they don't contact the window glass. The slipper strip won't stay put or breaks. I will still use it for the ends and the tops but not for the bottom where the glass actualy slides.

I now make my own plastic slides, for the bottom, on my table saw out of black uhmwpe. Works well and I have not noticed any rattling.

I replaced my old tracks a few years back, put in the same style I had, the stainless with felt. Think it was a mistake the felt is starting to come apart again!

Will try the plastic tracks next time.

JohnP

I replaced my old tracks a few years back, put in the same style I had, the stainless with felt. Think it was a mistake the felt is starting to come apart again!

Will try the plastic tracks next time.

JohnP

+1

I was considering putting alloy tracks on my cat; I'm going to go with plastic now.

Thanks for all the info on this thread.

+1

I was considering putting alloy tracks on my cat; I'm going to go with plastic now.

Thanks for all the info on this thread.

You won't be disappointed if you have the width to accept it. Get the good Beckson brand stuff, it's more $ but worth it.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 112
Can the plastic be install with the windows in place and glass installed?

I am askin' the same thing, as my frames are held in place with that godawful 5200.

I have a question I remove the Windows from the boat but then how do I remove the glass from the frame?

I ordered the same channel from Camper ID Paid $46.92 each and flat rate shipping of $13.69 To Upstate NY the channel is way better than the originals !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom