sliding glass doors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimbo2015

Veteran Member
Can someone explain how a boat can be seaworthy with them?

4714720_20140519090818444_1_XLARGE.jpg

Is this a common build?

Anyone removed them and installed perhaps a small window and a real wood framed door?

You will find many things on boats that you may consider unseaworthy. Simply it all depends on your planned use. I wouldn't plan on crossing an ocean with it, but cruising inland waters, bays, and near coastal runs between inlets on nice weather days, sure, why not.

Ted

Ted nailed it. We have those on our Sea Ray. Is the boat an ocean crosser? Nope, it's a coastal cruiser and those doors are great.

I can't speak to those doors in the photo, but a couple of years ago I had the rollers replaced at the bottom of our doors. It took two guys to lift them out of the track they ride in. They are definitely not your run of the mill, lightweight home patio door.

Can someone explain how a boat can be seaworthy with them?

4714720_20140519090818444_1_XLARGE.jpg

Is this a common build?

Anyone removed them and installed perhaps a small window and a real wood framed door?

We have that boat (mainship 350/390) and love the doors. The boat has been all over the Great Lakes, ICW, the loop and even to the Bahamas. She has seen waves over 8' and the sliders were never a problem. Gives a great view astern and very easy to get in and out of the boat. Remember, these are not Nordhavns, never built for or intended to cross oceans.

By the way, whats going on with the head liner in the left corner? Water ingestion from the bridge??

First you need to define "seaworthy". Very few boats are open ocean "seaworthy" in all conditions.

For it's intended use they are fine, few boats are sunk by sea conditions compared to neglect and stupidity.

What conditions will it be operated in?

Well I've been a sailor for 40 years just struck me as odd to see such an expanse of glass that can take on water if it was open or broken.

I would rather see a door with half glass and small window next to it kinda like
3595036_0_20110422095423_3_0.jpg

Well I've been a sailor for 40 years just struck me as odd to see such an expanse of glass that can take on water if it was open or broken.

I would rather see a door with half glass and small window next to it kinda like
3595036_0_20110422095423_3_0.jpg

Well then that's what you should have. :thumb:

Hopefully that glass is tempered, I guarantee you that the SGD is.

While I don't,

there are many boats with open or sliding-glass-door, stern-facing openings in the protected San Francisco estuary without ill effect.

PS. My rubber-gasketed, dogged-down doors haven't leaked yet.

Last edited:

We've got sliding glass. Locked in either open or closed position when underway (99% of time, closed).

I think the glass is stronger than some of the other installations we've seen.

Given our normal boating areas, if we've got significant worrisome water coming over the transom, we've maybe got way more problems than a minor detail like a sliding glass door.

Could happen if we tried to back down violently on a big marlin or whatever in steep seas... but since we don't fish like that, where they are... no worries.

-Chris

Another benefit of the slider is the screen door. With the center forward window open (we have a screen on that too) you can leave the slider open and get some great ventilation with NO BUGS. Also visibility astern when operating from the lower station is very good.

For the designed purpose of boats with sliding doors open to the cockpit it is fine if you operate within that realm. If you get flooding from a broken or open door, you are in conditions way outside of the boat's design intent or your well on your way to the bottom anyway.

They are probably more seaworthy than foreword facing glass doors.

Attachments

• leopard--44-29.jpg
    leopard--44-29.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 75
The bridge water intrusion can likely be solved by re-caulking the drain tubes for the under-seat storage on the aft bottom of the side benches. Poor design....

"Can someone explain how a boat can be seaworthy with them?"

Simple, you don't drive it backwards into a large sea.

"Is this a common build?"

Yes

"Anyone removed them and installed perhaps a small window and a real wood framed door?"

I doubt it. Why?

Back
Top Bottom