Sky sail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
<h3 class="r">SkySails - SkySails for Fishing Trawlers</h3>I have been following along with this for quite some time now.

Do you think there is any value to this idea for Trawlers.

Doesn't look like there is anything available for it yet but it appears that it is in the works.

What do you think of the idea?

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 03:10:17 PM

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 03:13:40 PM

I've looked at these and they are intriguing.* They make no sense to me except off shore, but then, and unlike sail, you look for avoiding wind when passaging under power.* I just wonder how the cost/benefit would really look in real time.

There was an article in our local sailing mag recently on parachute sails and they get rave reviews for sailing down wind.
may be good as an aux power system for the power boat without a get home.
At least you may get some where.
If I can drag it out I'll post it up.

Benn

Oh isn't this special, the latest "feel good" technology to offset some of our guilt from burning fossil fuel. If you want a sail assisted ship, the boat arrived 25+ years ago:

http://www.cousteau.org/about-us/alcyone

It wasn't a commercial success and I don't think this will be either. When a sub heading starts with :

Success requires flexibility

you know success isn't the goal.

Ted

-- Edited by O C Diver on Thursday 3rd of March 2011 07:01:48 AM

O C Diver wrote:

Oh isn't this special, the latest "feel good" technology to offset some of our guilt from burning fossil fuel. If you want a sail assisted ship, the boat arrived 25+ years ago:

http://www.cousteau.org/about-us/alcyone

It wasn't a commercial success and I don't think this will be either. When a sub heading starts with :

Success requires flexibility

you know success isn't the goal.

Ted

-- Edited by O C Diver on Thursday 3rd of March 2011 07:01:48 AM
I don't think it is a much about guilt or reinventing the sail boat as it is about a way to save a few bucks on running our tiny little ships.

The wind is free.

Who knows what the cost of diesel will run to this year.

SD

Sail board is very popular off the Everett Marina.* My two sons sail board.* However, by the time I get the sail rigged, and all the stuff on/ready I am to tired and ready for a nap, but I have played with the sail.* The sail will lift a person off the ground in the afternoon thermal 20 mph winds. No, I am not going to tell you*my weight but my oldest son is 200+.* *The sail are easy to control, turn and change the lift.* They would be good for open, long distance cruises.* I have played with the idea of using the windless as the main line with two smaller winches for the control lines, which are controller in the Pilot house.* **However, I think adding regular old sails is a better way to go.

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Thursday 3rd of March 2011 01:49:43 PM

"I think adding regular old sails is a better way to go."

For the one in a few thousand that wish to cross oceans , the motor sailor is a proven concept.

Biggest problem is they will have sailboat accomidations , a 3 story roomaran in 35 ft doesn't work with normal sails.

That's why the various sky sails are of interest to the bloat boat set.

Mostly mental masterbation , like genset driv

FF wrote:

For the one in a few thousand that wish to cross oceans , the motor sailor is a proven concept.

Biggest problem is they will have sailboat accomidations , a 3 story roomaran in 35 ft doesn't work with normal sails.

W. T. F. ???

F.F.* ...... note to self- - - check and see if the CO detector is working properly!

HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 wrote:

FF wrote:

W. T. F. ???

F.F.* ...... note to self- - - check and see if the CO detector is working properly!

HOLLYWOOD

There are some trawler that have sails as an option.* They more like a spinnaker sail that are mostly used to follow the trade winds across the ocean.* A Royal 60 ft trawler had them specifically to cross the Pacific Ocean.*

However, if I was going to added sales to the Eagle, I have talk to a rigger, I would added a 100 ft mast on the front deck, and a 100 ft mast on the salon roof.* The arch on the pilot house roof would be removed. **I dont think we could go hull speed, but it would increase the range and if in no hurry about 3 knots, which is what other trawler with sail have reported.*

The Sky sail is certainly an option, but again mostly to increase range and help save on fuel.* If we did a lot of cruising in windy open water I might throw some bucks at it.* A big kite board sail is about 500 bucks.* A 200+ lb pull would certain move a trawler as it does not take much.* I hear tell that some ships have sued/tried them, but have not seen/hear anything of late.* I might give it a try after all we tried to sail with the steadying sail, so why not a Sky Sail?* ***

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 4th of March 2011 02:55:37 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom