singlehanded docking aid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calimari

Veteran Member
Saw on recent post about a fitting you can put on your boat hook to put a loop over a piling or cleat. Does anyone have any info on these and where can get one? Thanks

Are you referring to the Robship Hook & Moor found at this link
Just do a Google search for retailers, everyone sells them.

The wife loves ours.......:thumb:

My home made version, the large loop for pilings and the smaller for cleats set into lock walls. Made up of an 8' length of PVC, cap fittings, some nylon coated SS cable and a couple of crimp ferrules. The Admiral loves it.

Attachments

• Docking loop.jpg
    Docking loop.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 158
or this one ?

or this one ?

I bought one of these at a boat show. It works as advertised, but the semi permanent installation of the pvc pipe makes it difficult to use the line for other purposes that may not need a loop.

I bought one of these at a boat show. It works as advertised, but the semi permanent installation of the pvc pipe makes it difficult to use the line for other purposes that may not need a loop.

Almost seems you would need a non modified set

Perhaps the boat will tip over if he approaches the boat's side.

Riata.jpg
All ya need now is a $4,000 saddle, $3,000 rope'n mule or hoss. Oh, the "line" $600.:blush:

Single handed docking is an issue here in Southeast Alaska however in a different way. We do not have many piling or open cleat facilities on the public docks, rather bull rails are the more common mooring line application. Not that there are no any, just not as common as those depicted in the above post. My solution to this is the below depicted grapple hook. This hook resides in a plastic bucket on the fly bridge. When approaching the dock or float, one cast it over the bull rail and pulls ones self to the dock. You can then walk back and forth on the fly bridge positioning the boat where you desire, secure the line and then proceed to secure the boat as normal. Works slick as a whistle

Al-Ketchikan

TACTICAL MILITARY CLIMBING GRAPPLING HEAVY DUTY STEEL NINJA HOOK+33' ROPE KIT
HEAVY DUTY STEEL GRAPPLING HOOK 10 mtr OF ROPE | eBay

Greetings,
Mr. A. Link didn't work for me but does it come with one of these and is the proper "garb" mandatory for grappling a bull rail?
adult-deluxe-ninja-costume.jpg

Ninja-Dude-Al...brilliant...you rock!! (Here's a better link);

Amazon.com : Ultimate Arms Gear Tactical Military Stealth Black Ninja Stainless Steel Climbing Grappling Folding Heavy Duty Grappling Anchor Hook + 33' Foot Rope Cadet Grappling Rappelling Rapeling Repel Climbing Rope Equipment Gear : Martial Art

Question: Do you chuck it to the far side of the dock, or onto the dock & then slide it towards the bull rail on your side of the dock?

This is another bull rail solution which offers a for sure grip with the boat hook when single handed;

Attachments

• Bull Rail : Boat Hook.jpg
    Bull Rail : Boat Hook.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Bull Rail : Boat Hook #2.jpg
    Bull Rail : Boat Hook #2.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Ya Murray, I don't throw over the other side just to the dock and slide to me.

I like your pike pole thingamajiggie, Seems on my pike pole the damn think comes twisty loose just when I need to give it a pull. With the grapple, which I stated is in a small plastic bucket, I cut holes in the bottom for rain drain.

Cheers,
Al

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom