Old 01-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Not all locks are equal ... upbound (pleasurecraft) in the St.Lawrence Seaway and Welland canal locks, a crew of three is mandatory. Downbound a crew of two is mandatory.

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Better a good single hander than many that pass through those locks.
That is so true. I've had many an amused moment (both singlehanding and with my wife on the aft end) watching a newbie barking out orders to his wife (I presume -- don't think a mistress would put up with it) and just completely screwing things up. How can you screw up getting through a lock, now, come on! But, as they say in my part of the country, some people can screw up a one car funeral.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Not all locks are equal ... upbound (pleasurecraft) in the St.Lawrence Seaway and Welland canal locks, a crew of three is mandatory. Downbound a crew of two is mandatory.
True...read the Panama Canal regs and you'll give up that dream if you are faint hearted.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #24

City: Fulton, Missouri
Vessel Name: Attitude Adjustment
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
I've single handed my Mainship 34(single engine) around the Great Loop, including all the locks, and up and down the east coast a few times. Even though I run the boat from the flybridge, I can get from the helm to the midship cleat in about 4 seconds, which suffices in all but the most adverse wind/current situations. The less mobile you are physically, you'll need better access to the side decks if single handing, imo.

My boat is fairly light and is blown around by the wind pretty easily. And while I haven't got experience piloting bigger, heavier boats, I agree that they would probably be easier to dock, being less susceptible to being blown away from the dock before you can get a line on.
micksbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #25
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
I routinely run 55 -60' boats around the Great Lakes on short deliveries single handed. The only time I have needed assistance docking was bringing a 55 Fairline from Toronto into Oswego at Easter. There was so much ice on the boat I could not get the lines off the rails. There used to be a restaurant in Oswego called "Patz on the River" which was closed on easter.

Fortunately for me the owners were having a family Easter dinner in the restaurant that day. They saw me trying to break the lines off the rails and hang on to the boat at the same time. They not only rushed out to help but they took me in to join the family for one of the best meals I've ever had...... won't be doing anymore deliveries that early in the year anymore..... thats me in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ice3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	26426   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 ICE.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	26427   Click image for larger version

Name:	8 ICE.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	26428  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #26

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
Alone

I have run Miami to Long I. Sound and back with both my Cherubini 50' Trawler and G.B49' with out any Oh My Gods. Just think ahead and go slow around docks. Ask for help from Marina you are using on your trip. Never be afraid to ask for help. Have fun.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron T View Post
............ Ask for help from Marina you are using on your trip. Never be afraid to ask for help..........
There will be times when no help is available. You may arrive after hours or be staying at a dock or park where no help is available. You should have a "plan B" even if it's anchoring and waiting for better conditions.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Kent Island, MD
Vessel Name: M.V. LOTTIE
Vessel Model: Lien Hwa/Pilothouse LRC
So far I have had success while solo on my 50 footer.

Yes a plan b is always necessary!
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #29

I use a long midship spring line to dock single handed. Eye pre hooked to the cleat, then toss the split coiled line over a cleat or upright part of the dock. Feed the bitter end through the hawser while there is still plenty of slack and under the free horn of the hawser/cleat. Plenty of control taking up the slack. Never needed to pay out more line once the slack was taken up, but that might be the hardest part. A line the length of the boat works for me.
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:38 AM   #30
FF
Guru

. A line the length of the boat works for me.

Should a Bo Bo happen a line that will not reach the prop if overboard might be wise.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #31
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
. A line the length of the boat works for me.

Should a Bo Bo happen a line that will not reach the prop if overboard might be wise.
Unfortunately if you're using the midship cleat that might restrict your useable line length to less than 15',

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #32

I'm in neutral while tossing a coiled line. Might have been worth mentioning. Always good to think these things through ahead of time.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #33
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Check out the set sail website. Steve and Linda Dashew have been a world wide cruising couple for years. Their current design and build is a 97 footer expressly designed to be handled by a couple.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Unfortunately if you're using the midship cleat that might restrict your useable line length to less than 15',

That's OK ....you should only need a few feet unless where you are trying to tie up doesn't have a cleat near your midships....or use an after bow spring.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #35

When single handing I always have my midships spring line looped and returned to the boat.

I never understood all the jumping on to the dock methods. Unless the holding tank is full.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:

That's OK ....you should only need a few feet unless where you are trying to tie up doesn't have a cleat near your midships....or use an after bow spring.
That's why a 15' line does not exist on my boat. But I should say it is a 44' boat. Line lengths are all relative to the size of the boat.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #37
Guru

A 100 foot line can be secured in such a way as only a short length could go overboard and not foul the prop...that's FF contention and I'm sure most peoples understanding...not sure why or how you can really argue that?????
Old 01-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
A 100 foot line can be secured in such a way as only a short length could go overboard and not foul the prop...that's FF contention and I'm sure most peoples understanding...not sure why or how you can really argue that?????
I'm not sure that's what he said but I do agree with your comment above.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #39

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: NOMAD
Vessel Model: 48' DeFever Trawler
Send a message via Skype™ to jwitzel
I have over 4,000 hours of solo cruising hours on my 48' DeFever. It has a bow thruster and I have no problems handling it anywhere; with twin screws the thruster is rarely used but is very helpful when anchoring out or mooring and in tight spaces at docks. Walkways on port and starboard are a must and I would highly recommend a thruster if you get a sizable boat and spring for the inexpensive wireless remote pendant for the windlass/thruster if going solo, it sure comes in handy when alone on the bow.
jwitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitzel View Post
I have over 4,000 hours of solo cruising hours on my 48' DeFever. It has a bow thruster and I have no problems handling it anywhere; with twin screws the thruster is rarely used but is very helpful when anchoring out or mooring and in tight spaces at docks. Walkways on port and starboard are a must and I would highly recommend a thruster if you get a sizable boat and spring for the inexpensive wireless remote pendant for the windlass/thruster if going solo, it sure comes in handy when alone on the bow.
Twins and a thruster is like having 2 extra deckhands on board..

If I can't whip my crew into shape...a thruster is sounding better all the time.

Tags
single-hand, size, solo