Single engine, single cabin trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danpittenger

What kind of options exist for single engine, single cabin trawlers? I like the Krogen Manatee, but prefer the wide body open layout of some larger boats, especially with the galley/living space all in the same room.

Thoughts?

The new Helmsman 31 has that layout though I am happy with the prior model Camano Troll's galley down layout. It is still open enough for easy conversing. Can't see paying the big bucks to go with the new layout. Search on sedan models.

The Kadey Krogen 39 looks like a very nice trawler for the money. It's a true blue water trawler. You could go anywhere in the world with it.

The North Pacific 39 Pilot House would be a pretty sweet trawler for a coastal cruiser and the build quality is on par with the KK's. It doesn't have walk around decks so the solon is full beam.

Last edited:
Are you considering a new or "previously owned" boat ? Do you have a size range, plan on day cruising or extended trips, is speed important, and do you have a budget in mind ?

Older is better, maybe a $100k budget. More interested in the $80k boat that requires $10k of work and is still worth $80k than the $10k boat that requires $80k in work and is still a $10k boat :)

I'd like to complete the loop, and maybe cruise the Caribbean... fuel efficiency is much more important than speed. Ideal size of 36 - 42 feet, single cabin, single head, and large, open saloon with a large galley with a freezer.

Thanks!

Dan: I'm confused. If you're good with a 36'-42' boat then why do you care about it having a single cabin? Do you mean a single stateroom or a big, single saloon/galley?

Here's some older Albins with a single engine (MI, MD and NY state).

albin 36 Boats For Sale

Some older Grand Banks 36's in ME and MD.

1977 Grand Banks 36 Classic Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1973 Grand Banks 36 Classic Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Here's some older Monk 36's. Some are over $100k but very nice!!

monk 36t Boats For Sale

I would vote for the Monk's! There is a newer Monk 36 in my marina. Very cool boat..... The KK Manatees are very unique as well. Never saw one in person though.

What about fishing boats? Would you consider a downeast style rig? There are TONS of nice downeast boats in my neck of the woods that are single diesels that would make a perfect trawler. Don't forget that a "trawler" is what YOU decide a trawler to be. It could be a Bayliner, or a tuna boat or a sportfish.....Just my 2 cents

EDIT** I just realized you're from CA. so maybe my east coast links won't fit the bill as much but hopefully it still helps you a bit.

Last edited:
Yes, I mean single stateroom. Sorry for the confusion, I’m in the very beginning phases of the boat buying 101 sticky post: research, research, research.

East coast is preferred because I’m only temporarily in California for work.

Those North Pacific and kadey krogen 39’s are really nice. Unfortunately, over budget. But that’s definitely the ideal!

Ouch! I didn't realize the KK and NP 39's were that pricey. I think South of Heaven nailed it with his selections.

"I'd like to complete the loop, and maybe cruise the Caribbean.."

There is a vast difference in a boat to run the loop and a vessel capable of voyaging to the Carib.

There is an old book, "The Thornless Path" that explains how a boat not built for offshore work can hop there , if you have loads of time.

The Carib is a great travel area but to get there usually requires a boat with offshore construction, at least 1,000 miles of range .

These frequently cost 2x or 3x the price of an inshore vessel.

Mainship 34 is likely off your radar since you mentioned Krogen.

Not really a "trawler" either but the money you'd save would go a long way towards upgrades and fuel.

I find many that have been repowered with Cummins that will run 15 knots but sip fuel @ 7 knots @ 1.5gph.

The major downside is that it's a nearshore boat IMO. Just doesn't have the full keel seakeeping of traditional trawlers but I wen't flats fishing in 4' with mine last weekend.. Gotta love that protected prop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom