Old 08-30-2016, 04:35 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
The big boys I was referring to are the draggers or actual trawlers ( fishing type)and seiners they use the search light function to find schools of fish or check out the bottom topography before dragging the net over it... Its the guys that have very few days to make their money and use evry tool available. I think that the forward looking sounders like Garmin and Simrad and search light sounders are apple and oranges...
Search light sounders are a really versatile tool.... they don't depend on a fixed array of crystals but rather a rotating transducer that also moves moves in a vertical arc.
That makes sense. That's why I said I didn't know who you were referring to as big boys. I was thinking megayachts and cargo ships.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #22
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I get the picture that if you're willing to do a bit more manipulation then you can perhaps get more from the Furuno.

What uses do you put your Furuno to? Based on your boat, I would guess fishing comes into play along the way.
The picture I posted above is without the benefit of any fine tuning. In my experience, Panoptix can't come close to that, in any respect. But my friend, who at this point is fairly disappointed, would love to see a real world picture showing him what is possible.

I do use it for fishing -- primarily in two respects:

1) while trolling, I am able to alter course to intercept bait schools / predator fish that I would otherwise drive past completely oblivious to their presence. I have actually given an accurate count down to a multiple dorado hookup, starting as I altered course.

2) on the west coast, kelp paddies often hold predator fish, but not always. With the scanning sonar, I can quickly determine if anyone is home, and if not I troll right past. Without scanning sonar, the alternative is trolling in a circle around the paddy, the pulling in the trollers and putting out bait, heavy iron, surface iron, etc.

MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:46 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We'll keep your information on the Furuno as we have Furuno electronics that may well be approaching the time for an upgrade. We have no sonar on that boat.
I'm in the throws of evaluating installation of one on my boat, so up to my eyeballs in specs, dimensions, etc. Furuno has an internal expert on sonars who's been super helpful.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'm in the throws of evaluating installation of one on my boat, so up to my eyeballs in specs, dimensions, etc. Furuno has an internal expert on sonars who's been super helpful.
Furuno's support is unmatched.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:36 PM   #25
Guru

I'm reading up on the Panoptics to see if it's a candidate for my boat

I see that the forward looking transducers are either transom mount or trolling motor mounted.

BandB, How is the transducer mounted on your boat? Transom mounted?
Old 08-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #26
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:

I see that the forward looking transducers are either transom mount or trolling motor mounted.

Garmin now has a thru hull mount, which should give much better forward-looking performance.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:

None of the above. It's mounted through hull, forward of center. We have a forward facing transducer. It has to be mounted in a place that is out of the water over 25 knots or so. At the same time it must be in a place that has a view forward of the boat.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Garmin now has a thru hull mount, which should give much better forward-looking performance.
You beat me to it. I didn't see your answer when I started to type and then when I submitted there it was. I didn't know if that was a widespread Garmin move or simply a Sunseeker move.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #29
Guru

OK, I didn't see that listed on their web site. Must not have looked hard enough. It's good to see that the Interphase technology finally yielded something. It took so long that I though the acquisition was DOA.

BTW, Wesmar is the other high-end vendor, with products much like Furuno's with a tube and lift mechanism that lowers/retracts the scanner dome.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:04 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
OK, I didn't see that listed on their web site. Must not have looked hard enough. It's good to see that the Interphase technology finally yielded something. It took so long that I though the acquisition was DOA.

It's not really listed on their page. They mention forward as a choice and they if you go into support you see the multiple transducers and then the actual mounting instructions of through hull are somewhere else entirely. Clearly we don't have a trolling motor and I don't see how a transom mount would help see in front of you. Of course every time I see how many holes there are in the hull, I get concerned over it all.