Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-11-2018, 04:50 AM   #1
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,292
Simple Ipad Camera

Hi,
Shopping for a camera that will hook to my Ipad wireless, via bluetooth or WiFi.

Want one camera, maybe two. Mount on back of boat to see what's behind me, for docking and traffic.

Anyone recommend one?



Thx
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
nwboater's Avatar
 
City: Whidbey Island WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Hi,
Shopping for a camera that will hook to my Ipad wireless, via bluetooth or WiFi.

Want one camera, maybe two. Mount on back of boat to see what's behind me, for docking and traffic.

Anyone recommend one?



Thx


I bought an HP Pixi Cam. It was an impulse buy for only $30. Tiny video camera that produces a WiFi signal that connects to your iPad with the free app. I use it to see what's behind. Problems: the Pixi cam will sometimes drops wifi, the camera does not "flip" image so need to reinterpret what you're looking at, needs recharging after a few hours of continuous use (though easy recharge w/USB). Not a serious solution for marine applications.
__________________

__________________
Richard
MV Kika, Selene 47 Ocean Trawler
nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
Guru
 
Benthic2's Avatar
 
City: Boston Area
Country: United States
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 960
I just picked up one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was super simple to set up and works great. I have mine watching the parking lot where I live and its great. I can view the camera from anywhere on my cell phone, it has pretty decent night vision ( out to 20 meters ) and was only 40 bucks. It won't work on a 5 ghz wifi network though...it has to be 2.4. If I can answer any questions about it, just ask.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
Guru
 
CaptTom's Avatar
 
City: Southern Maine
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,503
One word of caution, make sure you can connect directly to the camera. I have a security camera system that requires a connection to a 3rd party server; I can't access the camera from within my home network unless the internet is connected. Wouldn't really work very well on the boat!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I just picked up one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was super simple to set up and works great. I have mine watching the parking lot where I live and its great. I can view the camera from anywhere on my cell phone, it has pretty decent night vision ( out to 20 meters ) and was only 40 bucks. It won't work on a 5 ghz wifi network though...it has to be 2.4. If I can answer any questions about it, just ask.
Looks great, will it work without an internet connection? Wifi directly to the Ipad?
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,401
Donít want to hijack, but I live in Texas and boat is in Florida at a marina with WiFi. Sometimes I wish I could log onto a camera mounted outside on the boat and look around.

Is there a type of camera that would do that? I guess it would require some type of power however, unless there is a solar option.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:01 AM   #7
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Donít want to hijack, but I live in Texas and boat is in Florida at a marina with WiFi. Sometimes I wish I could log onto a camera mounted outside on the boat and look around.

Is there a type of camera that would do that? I guess it would require some type of power however, unless there is a solar option.
Cardude,

With an internet connection, there's a ton of choices, Arlo being high on the list, and the Arlo 2 seems to be the best value. In the $600 range you can get 4 cameras for different locations, be able to hear, swivel them and view and record any or all of them. Less if you only want one camera. My buddy has that, and I've seen how it works several times, and he's a techie and loves it.
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:55 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
jjorgenson3's Avatar
 
City: New Rochelle, NY
Country: US
Vessel Name: Jerry Land
Vessel Model: Grand Banks/Alaskan
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 174
We have the Arlo Pro and it works perfectly. Easiest installation ever. It also lets you know when someone comes aboard and has a speaker that lets you speak to the individual.
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #9
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjorgenson3 View Post
We have the Arlo Pro and it works perfectly. Easiest installation ever. It also lets you know when someone comes aboard and has a speaker that lets you speak to the individual.
Is there anyway to get the Arlo to work without internet? I haven't found any....
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #10
Guru
 
Heron's Avatar
 
City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,138
Check out Blink. Waterproof, wireless cameras (2 yr battery life). Just need wifi at the source. Motion and temperature alerts to your phone with Video. Affordable at $230 for 2 cams and wireless portal. Portal can run off USB power.

https://blinkforhome.com/
__________________
Steve
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #11
Guru
 
Benthic2's Avatar
 
City: Boston Area
Country: United States
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 960
The camera I got would need to have wifi access to work.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #12
Guru
 
Dougcole's Avatar
 
City: Carrabelle, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 901
Ha, SeeVee I feel your pain. Can't see the stern of the boat from the upper helm, makes it tough when backing into a slip. And I carry a dinghy on the transom.

I back into my home slip because I'm used to it, but I usually go bow in to transient slips if the dock set up works. The forward power cord inlet helps with this too.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member
 
wkearney99's Avatar
 
City: Bethesda, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Check out Blink. Waterproof, wireless cameras (2 yr battery life). Just need wifi at the source. Motion and temperature alerts to your phone with Video. Affordable at $230 for 2 cams and wireless portal. Portal can run off USB power.

https://blinkforhome.com/
I have some of these and they're nice, but understand they're not intended for live viewing for anything more than about 30 seconds at a time. If you start running them as live cameras you greatly decrease battery life. You can tap (continue) in the app to keep the video playing, but it chews through batteries doing so.

That and they're not real time. There's about a second and a half delay between what live and what you see on your tablet/phone. I know this as I was just replacing batteries in one, repositioning another. They're perfect when you want to have a motion-detecting camera in a place that can't easily be wired. But if you have any shot at all of running wire (be it for power, ethernet or both) then do that instead. You'll get longer duration video and not have to worry about replacing batteries.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member
 
wkearney99's Avatar
 
City: Bethesda, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 26
I don't know what the iPad version of this is like, but on Android it's great.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ip-c...402656416?mt=8

It's the swiss-army-knife of camera viewers. It's got drivers for all manner of networkable cameras.
__________________

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012