Silly use for a spliced loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
I often forget which fuel tank I am drawing from. Easy to check if I climb down into the aft part of the ER, but since I can check the filters and vacuum gauge without doing that, I usually don’t.

I created a spliced loop that will fit around my fuel gauge. So now I only need to glance at that to remember. Yes, I know my helm needs to be dusted. IMG_0557.jpg

Good idea, Dave. But I am disappointed that you didn’t detail your boat before posting photos of that disgustingly dirty helm...

I switch tanks every four hours and to display which side, I place a miniature brass Bruce anchor on the appropriate side of the compass.

I also record the tank switch in the fuel log with hours, estimated fuel consumed since last switch and current fuel levels.

Good idea, Dave. But I am disappointed that you didn’t detail your boat before posting photos of that disgustingly dirty helm...

I know. I’ve got to get my crew on that!

I switch tanks every four hours and to display which side, I place a miniature brass Bruce anchor on the appropriate side of the compass.

I also record the tank switch in the fuel log with hours, estimated fuel consumed since last switch and current fuel levels.

Good idea. I could have just used my guitar playing pirate duck that sits next to the compass. The only problem is my 2 year old grandson likes to play with it. ;-)

IMG_0067.jpg

Why switch tanks.
A list to control?

Curious, why run off of one tank?

Clever, Dave. Why not offer it as a custom gauge reminder accessory in various sizes & colors! Of course, custom charcoal color for that rustic, unkempt helm look.

Seriously though, the best ideas are the really simple ones.

I have no fuel gauges so I have to "stick" the tanks. I made up a long cotton string with lead sinkers on each end. About 4 feet of cotton line.

I drop the sinker into the tank and check the level by the knots I have tied in the line. Not real accurate, but close.

Since the cotton line gets diesel on it I don't bring it inside. I tie it off to the handrail and let it air dry. Whichever side it is hanging on, that is the tank I am drawing off of.

I carry over 350 gls of fuel and have a single F.L. 120. I generally switch tanks at the halfway point in my trip or vacation.

pete

I certainly could. It has become a habit to run from one at a time. Part of the reason would be some issue where one tank gets contaminated somehow. Highly unlikely, but... I suppose I should really rethink as to WHY I run on one tank at a time.

I was truly curious, not questioning your madness :)

I have two 170 gallon tanks, one on each side. If I ran off one side too long, I would look like a sail boat underway in a gale.

A Bruce anchor! Are you crazy! Bruce anchors suck! I wouldn’t let anything but a Rocha anchor on my boat. How do you expect an anchor to work without a roll bar? Another thing, how much chain do you have? That’s not enough, what if you had to anchor in......

What? Tank reminder? Oh, never mind...

With saddle tanks of 75-ish gallon capacity and a single engine on my small boat using 8-9 GPH, it would not take long for me to list badly. On my twin trawler, each engine drew from and returned to one of the two tanks on its side of the boat with the other tanks secured (port to stbd crossover was always closed) because they were all bottom draw where an accident could have seen all the fuel on one side of the boat (320 gallons) in the bilge.

IIRC my water tanks have cross connections so you can pull from any one of the 4 of them. This can be done to fine tune trim, or if there is some other reason to isolate one tank. All 4 are 75 gal, for a total of 300 gal. Once I figured out what all the valves do, I opened them all, so I never need to adjust trim with the water tank levels. The two in the quarters are higher, tops just below the deck and the ones under the bed are lower, tops below the bottoms of the other 2. When the top of the bed tanks start oil canning, we are into those, so the sight tubes on the upper 2 in the lazarette are unnecessary. No sight tubes on the lower tanks, so keeping track of the no of days before the first sounds from the lower tanks works, assuming usage stays the same.
For fuel, there is a crossover line with a valve on it. IIRC it too remains open, though with twins it isn't nearly so critical as with a single. The genset pulls from Stb, the diesel stove from the P, so before solar panels, non-engine use was about the same. Now, not so much, so leaving the crossover open probably helps. I use my logbook, record hours of use, usually run at 2000rpm, so same per hr usage. When I will get a 1000l price discount, I will start thinking about fuelling. I used to have a stick, but it got so little use I got rid of it. My tanks hold 2600l, so I usually fuel at around 1/2 full. The biggest fuel load I have ever taken was about 1500l, several years ago.
I don't need gauges, for water or fuel.
I still need to keep my panel dusted, despite the lack of fuel or water gauges.

This single-engined boat has four fuel tanks, two starboard and two port with 70-plus gallons each, each good for more than 35 hours. Every 24 hours away or every time taking the boat out, I check their levels. Normally select the tank with most fuel.

Last edited:
No fuel balancing for me. 2 engines, 2 tanks. There is a crossover line in the engine feed lines, although I'm not sure it'll actually balance the tanks, just allow you to run an engine off the opposite tank if needed. Generator only draws from the port tank, but that's never enough to cause a meaningful imbalance. Plus, the boat lists slightly to port with everything full anyway, so that tank getting a little lower is fine.

No fuel balancing for me. 2 engines, 2 tanks. There is a crossover line in the engine feed lines, although I'm not sure it'll actually balance the tanks, just allow you to run an engine off the opposite tank if needed. Generator only draws from the port tank, but that's never enough to cause a meaningful imbalance. Plus, the boat lists slightly to port with everything full anyway, so that tank getting a little lower is fine.
Same here but the Genny feeds from the starboard tank. The fuel gages are extremely accurate.

Attachments

• Fuel.jpg
    Fuel.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 69

I have a single Lehman and two 300 gallon diesel tanks on either side of the engine.

If I draw from both tanks, the engine takes more fuel out of one side than the other due to differences in fuel hose lengths, restrictions from fittings etc. After 6 hours or thereabouts the boat will start listing to one side.

By switching tanks every 4 hours, I can maintain balance and monitor fuel levels. When I switch tank sides, the fuel return is also switched.

I tried a crossover and I found when traveling with a slight heel due to wind on the beam, for an extended time, that the fuel flowed to the low side creating imbalance.

I tried a crossover and I found when traveling with a slight heel due to wind on the beam, for an extended time, that the fuel flowed to the low side creating imbalance.

I have heard that from a lot of boaters and Trevor Brice from North Pacific Yachts mentioned the same to me during the sea trial of the used NP43 I bought. He recommends to his owners that they leave the crossover closed when under way for that reason.

My crossover has a transfer pump. So I’ve not noticed that issue of the fuel following the list. I’m guessing the impeller in the pump keeps that from happening.

You guys are making me real glad that I only have one 200 gallon monel fuel tank.

I have heard that from a lot of boaters and Trevor Brice from North Pacific Yachts mentioned the same to me during the sea trial of the used NP43 I bought. He recommends to his owners that they leave the crossover closed when under way for that reason.

My crossover has a transfer pump. So I’ve not noticed that issue of the fuel following the list. I’m guessing the impeller in the pump keeps that from happening.

Same thing can occur with water tank crossovers so I removed it and used the ports to add site gauges on the water tanks. I have two 150 gallon water tanks on either side of Sandpiper towards the stern and a 100 gallon water tank at the bow. I juggle drawing from those water tanks to adjust trim and heel.

Same thing can occur with water tank crossovers so I removed it and used the ports to add site gauges on the water tanks. I have two 150 gallon water tanks on either side of Sandpiper towards the stern and a 100 gallon water tank at the bow. I juggle drawing from those water tanks to adjust trim and heel.

Yeah, I’ve not had the problem with the water tanks. It may be because the water lines are a smaller diameter than that typical fuel crossover lines. In my boat, there are also more 90 degree bends in the lines from the starboard water tank to the port tank. I don’t understand fluid dynamics but maybe that slows the flow down?

I mentioned a while ago that I’ve started to fill up my starboard water tank when I return to my dock. This creates a list in the boat but when I return to the boat the water tanks have leveled out and the boat is level.

BTW, whomever posted about their PVC hose attachment for filling their water tank is brilliant! It works amazingly well.

My Californian has two tanks on the center line and control valves available in the salon. Very convenient. I have considered running the port engine on one and the starboard on the other but they are different sizes, 250 and 400. I am a bit bow heavy so I run the more forward 250 tank most often to keep my bow up a bit. Forward I have lots of anchor chain, bow thruster with batteries, 80 gallon holding tank. When at rest I have a 700lb dinghy on deck but I always tow it underway. Once I run the 250 down I think I may feed from the aft tank and return to the forward until it gets near full. I haven't done it yet but think about it. Also, right now my aft sending unit needs a new power supply cable and I have yet to try to run a new one from the flybridge down and around. Someday. I did try to tap into the mid tank power but for some reason it did not work. Maybe not enough voltage made the trek. I ran a test wire directly and that worked so I know what I need to do.

Another good reason for twins! Two tanks, two engines = no switching, no imbalance, no guessing. :hide: :D

My two tanks feed into one line, to the filter, to the engine. No tank switching. There is a gauge in one tank, which I wasn't sure was even working, but it is. I sticked the tanks and believe the gauge is pretty close.

I have a single Lehman and two 300 gallon diesel tanks on either side of the engine.

If I draw from both tanks, the engine takes more fuel out of one side than the other due to differences in fuel hose lengths, restrictions from fittings etc. After 6 hours or thereabouts the boat will start listing to one side.

By switching tanks every 4 hours, I can maintain balance and monitor fuel levels. When I switch tank sides, the fuel return is also switched.

How about use of the return selector to help with trim? Close a low tank and return to it for awhile keeping a close eye on its level.

How about use of the return selector to help with trim? Close a low tank and return to it for awhile keeping a close eye on its level.

It's easier switching tanks every 4 hours.

Why complicate things when I've been using this method for 19 years without issues.

As you please. My engine returns 11 GPH and with only 75 gallon tanks a list can develop fast; so my splitable return system makes it easy to avoid one developing.

Back
Top Bottom