Silly use for a spliced loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do return fuel back to the same feed tank but the Lehman does not return much.

I do return fuel back to the same feed tank but the Lehman does not return much.

I had a pair of Lehmans and know what you mean, but I still managed to overflow a shutoff tank one day because I had no dash-mounted fuel gauges. While I have access to the fuel tank levels here, I do not shutoff a tank because with the much larger return rate I can quickly balance the boat. Every boat is different.

change tanks every 4 hrs?? we have 300 gal in each of 2 tanks, i change every 20 hrs, put it in my log book, and it`s posted on a stickup on the dash. i cross off the one just done. in the engine room, i change the fuel supply line, then the return line! been doing it this way for 25 yrs! to see what fuel i`ve used/ have left, i count the number of times i`ve changed, times 1.5, [fuel used per hr] so i know what fuel i`ve used since we filled the tanks! sounds complicated, but it`s not...clyde [i try to live by the KISS principle]

Change Tanks 4 hours

My boat has twin FL 135's with a cross over at the bottom and top. I was told to leave the bottom open and the top closed. The top would be for refueling or balancing the fuel at the dock.

I have only had the boat for less than a year but this has worked well, I have two site tubes one on each 250 gallon tank.

I can't imagine having to switch tanks every 4 hours but I am a newbie so maybe I am doing it wrong or it's just a personal choice.

M
I can't imagine having to switch tanks every 4 hours but I am a newbie so maybe I am doing it wrong or it's just a personal choice.

Switching tanks involve turning 4 valves, 15 seconds. I do hourly engine checks so I'm already there.

It's not that big of a deal.

My boat has twin FL 135's with a cross over at the bottom and top. I was told to leave the bottom open and the top closed. The top would be for refueling or balancing the fuel at the dock.

I have only had the boat for less than a year but this has worked well, I have two site tubes one on each 250 gallon tank.

My own approach to twin engine fuel management was that best reliability and safety was ensured by ALWAYS maintaining separation of fuel sources to the two engines so that a casualty to one side would not leave me powerless. The low crossover valve was only opened for short, observed periods of time to accomplish something specific.

My own approach to twin engine fuel management was that best reliability and safety was ensured by ALWAYS maintaining separation of fuel sources to the two engines so that a casualty to one side would not leave me powerless. The low crossover valve was only opened for short, observed periods of time to accomplish something specific.

Concur with this.

Back
Top Bottom