Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sidney
Sigh...a new breed on the way???

Caught the tail end of a Vancouver Boat Show promo on the news. TV walk through of probably a large Sea Ray, showing off all the pretties and ending at the helm. Broker boy with one hand on a lit up plotter and fingertips on a joystick says "so simple to operate; anyone who can play a basic computer game can take this out."

Pretty irresponsible IMO.

Our local mountain SAR has evolved to the point where they are saving dolts from themselves pretty much daily...on land.

Will our waterways soon be to the same point where, like car wrecks, we just pass by? "Gee, didn't even see them."

Old 01-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #2

City: marina del rey
Vessel Model: Goldenstar sportfisher
I agree. Even on land based activities like motorcycles, an 18 year old with virtually no riding experience can buy a big bore bike with 180 horsepower and ride away. Many don't make it a full day without going down or being killed. On the water, it can also be very bad.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Young people these days...
Old 01-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #4

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
So often there is only a mere understanding of "what" to do but no understanding of the "why". You better know the "why" if the "what" heads south.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenstar38 View Post
I agree. Even on land based activities like motorcycles, an 18 year old with virtually no riding experience can buy a big bore bike with 180 horsepower and ride away. Many don't make it a full day without going down or being killed. On the water, it can also be very bad.
Thank goodness gun ownership is much better regulated.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Young people these days...
That's what your parents said. And their parents and their parents and their parents and...........................................
Old 01-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BK. I saw what you did there...

Old 01-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #8
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
That's what your parents said. And their parents and their parents and their parents and...........................................

Yep they did!!
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Old 01-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #9
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Thank goodness gun ownership is much better regulated.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Caught the tail end of a Vancouver Boat Show promo on the news. TV walk through of probably a large Sea Ray, showing off all the pretties and ending at the helm. Broker boy with one hand on a lit up plotter and fingertips on a joystick says "so simple to operate; anyone who can play a basic computer game can take this out."

Pretty irresponsible IMO.

Our local mountain SAR has evolved to the point where they are saving dolts from themselves pretty much daily...on land.

Will our waterways soon be to the same point where, like car wrecks, we just pass by? "Gee, didn't even see them."
I don't know that the potential for difficulty maneuvering has been enough to deter people from buying boats in the past - and I don't think that the ease of maneuvering offered by joysticks is going to get a bunch of 22 year olds to plop down 250k+ for a sea ray and go terrorize the bay either. Might save a couple marriages though.

I
Old 01-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #11
Guru

Where the Sam Hill did I say anything about young people?
Huh?
Old 01-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Where the Sam Hill did I say anything about young people?
Huh?
I think we were having a bit of fun stemming from GoldenStars post about motorcycles and 18 year olds - apologies if it came across as accusatory or flippant.

I am actually kind of a fan of the joysticks for weekend warriors (most of SR customers). Makes getting around the docks easier for folks regardless of skill, minimizes the chances of them hitting your boat on the way out, and makes dad less likely to scream at mom and kick the dog on a Sunday afternoon. Boating is supposed to be fun regardless of whether you have a Nordy 80 or a Sea Ray 280 - if a joystick makes it less stressful/more fun for folks then I am all for it.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:50 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I'm missing something completely here and that's why one is bothered by joysticks. They aren't new but very much popularized by IPS and Zeus. However, they do a number of things very well. They make docking easier. Is it bad that fewer people will have difficulty docking? They also with things like Skyhook allow a boat to hold a position. That sure eases waiting to enter a marina or waiting for a bridge.

I don't share the dislike of technological advances. I also don't think there will be some new mad rush of people who don't know what they're doing as I think some of those were always buyers.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'm missing something completely here and that's why one is bothered by joysticks. They aren't new but very much popularized by IPS and Zeus. However, they do a number of things very well. They make docking easier. Is it bad that fewer people will have difficulty docking? They also with things like Skyhook allow a boat to hold a position. That sure eases waiting to enter a marina or waiting for a bridge.

I don't share the dislike of technological advances. I also don't think there will be some new mad rush of people who don't know what they're doing as I think some of those were always buyers.
I was at a boat show over the weekend and was talking to one of the dealers about the Axius. One of the things I didn't think about was the issue of people setting skyhook and then allowing people into the water to swim - the props aren't spinning, still aren't spinning, now they are spinning and someone gets eaten up. The SRs all have big warnings signs on the transom door/swim platform and at the dash.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorenm View Post
I was at a boat show over the weekend and was talking to one of the dealers about the Axius. One of the things I didn't think about was the issue of people setting skyhook and then allowing people into the water to swim - the props aren't spinning, still aren't spinning, now they are spinning and someone gets eaten up. The SRs all have big warnings signs on the transom door/swim platform and at the dash.
That would be insanity but then I've seen people with motors running with traditional controls and swimmers out. I use to watch boats pull up to retrieve skiers and keep the engines running and I'd cringe every time.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorenm
-apologies if it came across as accusatory or flippant.
Aw geez that wasn’t it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB
I'm missing something completely here and that's why one is bothered by joysticks.
Yes you are.
My OP was not about joysticks. I was simply saying I thought it was irresponsible to imply, if not actually state, that no more skill, knowledge or experience, other than that gained via basic video games could launch someone on their own personal Alaska cruise.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:35 PM   #17
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Flippant is my modus operandi...
Old 01-19-2016, 08:41 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Aw geez that wasn’t it at all.

Yes you are.
My OP was not about joysticks. I was simply saying I thought it was irresponsible to imply, if not actually state, that no more skill, knowledge or experience, other than that gained via basic video games could launch someone on their own personal Alaska cruise.
Thanks for clarifying. I must tell you that's nothing new for boat salesmen. Some of them make it sound so easy. Now there are brokers who would advise wisely, but the large dealers like the Sea Ray dealers don't do like that. Now, it just so happens we were watching a tv show "Selling Yachts" earlier. The US manager for Delta Powerboats was showing a Delta 54 to a couple with no experience. He talked about how anyone could handle it and wouldn't need a captain. The line of the conversation was to the guy's girlfriend who was with him looking. He said, "I guarantee you I can teach her to drive this boat in one hour." So, I'm sure you and I cringed much the same. Unfortunately, I don't think it's new and I think it's widespread.

The other place I see it is in boats from 60-80 or 90' and I see a new couple looking and the broker or salesperson reassures them that it's easy for a husband and wife to handle without a captain or crew. A very experienced couple, perhaps, but not ones new to it. My wife and I both had lots of experience in 30' and under, but we were under no illusion when we bought our 60'+ boat that we could handle it without a captain or much more training. So, I do understand your comment now. Just don't attribute the issue to the new technology.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #19
Guru

I should add that Ducote then had the couple with him as the boat was on autopilot and the three of them standing on the foredeck which is a nearly flush deck and had no rails. You read that right-no rails. Obviously no flotation devices.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:34 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy
Flippant is my modus operandi...
Ya spelt pissant wrong.

Closed Thread