Old 05-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Showering on the go

Why didn't I figure this out before?! In the past, we would turn on the engine heat near the end of the trip for the day so we would have washing up water for the galley. Anything left over and one of us might shower. But we decided, why not turn on the engine heat sooner and we could shower on route? No problem doing that during calm conditions. It works well and we each can get a shower while we are running. Using the inverter while running the admiral can use her blow dryer. It's free heat and free power.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Why didn't I figure this out before?! In the past, we would turn on the engine heat near the end of the trip for the day so we would have washing up water for the galley. Anything left over and one of us might shower. But we decided, why not turn on the engine heat sooner and we could shower on route? No problem doing that during calm conditions. It works well and we each can get a shower while we are running. Using the inverter while running the admiral can use her blow dryer. It's free heat and free power.

Jim
Yes - done this many times. With five of us on the crew down from Ketchikan to Anacortes we would depart at around 7am each morning and then take it in turn to have our morning showers underway. Then there was still plenty of hot water for dishes in the evening at anchor.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
Guru

We always had the recirculating engine "coolant" heating the hot water tank when the engine was running. Electricity was only for back-up when anchored or docked for an extended period. Our 20 gallon Raritan held the temperature pretty well for 24 hours, depending on usage, and the engine heated the water to 180 degrees, so needed to be careful. 20 gallons always seemed to be enough.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
Guru

Further to previous answer, I guess if you have a much bigger (than 2) crew then you would run out of HOT water!!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
Guru

Showering on the go

Our tank is 12 gallons. I typically have a very short shower. The admiral has liner hair, ergo, more water.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Mount Pleasant
Vessel Name: Endeavour
Vessel Model: '87 Island Gypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
We always had the recirculating engine "coolant" heating the hot water tank when the engine was running. Electricity was only for back-up when anchored or docked for an extended period. Our 20 gallon Raritan held the temperature pretty well for 24 hours, depending on usage, and the engine heated the water to 180 degrees, so needed to be careful. 20 gallons always seemed to be enough.
Yes, to the OP, you may want to check your system. Our engines heat the water in our H2O heater. So, it really is "free".
lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
20 gallon Raritan WH with tempering valve and coolant loop heat exchanger on my boat. Almost endless hot water for 2 or 3 people.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
six gallon isotherm. Heat the water every day when we run the generator. With just two of us there is enough hot water for showers and dish washing.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:25 PM   #9
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Our tank is 12 gallons. I typically have a very short shower. The admiral has liner hair, ergo, more water.
We have a 6 gal but the water is so hot that we use very few. We have enough everyday for shower for 2 person, dishes in the evening and following morning. We will replace the heater with a 11 gal so we have enough for 2 days. Water conservation is easy, shower head can be replaced for a low consumption one so you don't waste.

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcountry View Post
Yes, to the OP, you may want to check your system. Our engines heat the water in our H2O heater. So, it really is "free".

Nothing wrong with the system, just conserving water.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Mount Pleasant
Vessel Name: Endeavour
Vessel Model: '87 Island Gypsy
I didn't mean it like something was wrong with your system, just saying check to see if your already running engines provide heat without turning on the hot water heater.
lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #12

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
Showers underway are the best, especially when there are whales and mountains and icebergs visible out the porthole!
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #13
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Not really sure what it means to "turn on the engine heat." Most systems are hooked up so that the engine jacket water circulates through the water heater whenever the engine is running. There may be bypass valves for emergencies, but when would you NOT want hot water?

As for showering underway, been doing that ever since we first got a boat with a shower. Especially when motoring a long way through protected waters to an anchorage for the evening, or any time on a long inland run like the ICW. Either way, you arrive at your destination with a full tank of hot water, which cuts down on the genset run time.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #14
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Not really sure what it means to "turn on the engine heat." Most systems are hooked up so that the engine jacket water circulates through the water heater whenever the engine is running. ...
That's how the Coot is plumbed. ... My sister's reaction: "you have hot water?!"
Old 05-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Not really sure what it means to "turn on the engine heat." Most systems are hooked up so that the engine jacket water circulates through the water heater whenever the engine is running. There may be bypass valves for emergencies, but when would you NOT want hot water?

We don't seem to have hot water unless we switch on the engine heat. I seem to remember the PO confirming this. And yes, there is a by-pass valve.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1949.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	65055

This is the "plumbing" and heat exchanger for heating the hot water tank, via either the Webasto Hydronic heating system or the engine heat. The Webasto heats the water to almost scalding temperatures.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine and Transmission 3.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	65056
Old 05-23-2017, 12:27 PM   #16
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
We don't seem to have hot water unless we switch on the engine heat. I seem to remember the PO confirming this. And yes, there is a by-pass valve.
Attachment 65055

This is the "plumbing" and heat exchanger for heating the hot water tank, via either the Webasto Hydronic heating system or the engine heat. The Webasto heats the water to almost scalding temperatures.
Attachment 65056
On a side note: I wish my ER was as much clean as yours, I am jealous of this outrageous cleanliness!!!

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
On a side note: I wish my ER was as much clean as yours, I am jealous of this outrageous cleanliness!!!
I just like how accessible the plumbing is. Mine is hard to get at. I need to replace some hydronic heating hoses and keep putting it off because of that.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #18
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Not really sure what it means to "turn on the engine heat." Most systems are hooked up so that the engine jacket water circulates through the water heater whenever the engine is running.
JD has the choice of switching between engine heated water while underway or diesel heated water with his Webasto system while docked or at anchor. I'm guessing the switch is for a 3-way solenoid valve but it's not shown in the photo of his pristine engine room.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #19
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
I'm going to be the odd man out, erring to the side of caution.
I disconnected all external plumbing from our Cummins cooling system. I have heard of too many folks that had the main diesel engine destroyed because a hose or coil blew and drained all the coolant.
To me it is not worth risking your $35,000.00 engine to heat water.
IMHO
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #20
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Jim,

Beautiful Engine room. I am jealous.

I'm not sure why you would not have the engine heat always heating the water heater. Mine is plumbed to do so with no way to turn if off. But I've never needed to.

Richard

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote