Old 05-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #101
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
One of my all time favourites for 'sheer beauty'...the Allweather pocket trawler;

More Pictures

When I saw an Allweather in person, there seemed to be a little bit of powder horn going on in the bow, which was a bit disappointing. But yeah, I've always liked the concept of them, but not necessarily the execution. Closer to fish boat, than recreational trawler.

Hard to beat a 26' MWB for shear. There was one that was moored south of town on Malaspina Strait all year round. In the winter storms it looked like a puppy on a leash. I'd drive out just to watch it bounce around for awhile.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #102
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy;
When I saw an Allweather in person, there seemed to be a little bit of powder horn going on in the bow, which was a bit disappointing.
Powder horn?
In this context.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #103
Guru

Show your sheer line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Powder horn?
In this context.

A droopy bow.

Like many of Tom Fexus'es designs.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #104
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
When I saw an Allweather in person, there seemed to be a little bit of powder horn going on in the bow, which was a bit disappointing. But yeah, I've always liked the concept of them, but not necessarily the execution. Closer to fish boat, than recreational trawler.

Hard to beat a 26' MWB for shear. There was one that was moored south of town on Malaspina Strait all year round. In the winter storms it looked like a puppy on a leash. I'd drive out just to watch it bounce around for awhile.
Gilligan - Did you take one or the other of the gals from the island-show on some of those drives with you... to, so called... "watch it bounce around". Is that the only thing you were planning to "watch bounce around"? Tell me it isn't true!! Were you guys fooling around back in the 60's? Is some of what I've heard true?? - LOL
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #105
Guru

Quote:
A droopy bow.
Hah!
I, more than anyone, understands that.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #106
Art
Guru

Quote:
A droopy bow.

Like many of Tom Fexus'es designs.
I'm not clear on definition of "droopy bow". Please explain.

What I do not like are boat designs that have the sheer line "hog backed"; wherein the bow's stem angle/sheer points downward toward the water. I've been in too many rough seas and know from experience that well outwardly angled top end prow of a bow, whose sheer line points considerably upward, is best for handling big waves; be they oncoming or following sea conditions.

I've never seen a real fishing trawler designed with hog backed sheer line.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #107
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I think "droppy bow" (as in above) may be a "reverse sheer" ... As in convex. Instead of the sheer being concave (as are most boats) it becomes convex on the bow deck so the helm'sman can see over same.

On some boats like the old wood runabouts and ski boats that had only a subtle reverse sheer, tumblehome aft and a nice flare ect had a lot to do w the type became one of the best looking boats ever.

But if you want to be straight w your engineering and completely practical you would probably adopt a straight sheer (or nearly so) ... like many DeFevers, at least w semi-planing boats. If you're going out on the Grand Banks for a few days you'll probably want a more rockered sheer .. and chine.

Something probably not often thought about re sheer is that considerable sheer reduces the weight of a boat by lowering the sheer amidships ... where it's not needed so much on most designs. Cabin structure is lighter than hull structure.

Art,
What stem does not point toward the water?
I had a dinghy w a reverse curve stem kinda like a canoe .. is that what you're talking about? The reverse curve sheer does clearly point to the water.
A "hoged keel" is concave from the outside of the hull. Is your hoged sheer convex? I think you're talking about the distasteful practice of a reverse sheer fwd pointing down as a styling function to make a boat look vogue. I don't like that either. Kinda like wheelhouse windows slanting fwd. but there are some good practical reasons for both. The vogue ones are often taken to an extreme.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #108
Guru

Powder horn sheer. With a crane proboscis to accentuate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462298886.323729.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	51474
Old 05-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #109
Guru

As far as powderhorn sheer goes. Very few boats can pull it off. George Caulkins Bartender is one of the few to get it right. Even then, it varies by builder. Some look great, some look... well, less than great.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #110
Guru

This morning, I spent 3 hours on the phone with an old truck logger in Sayward and when that happens we cover the coast and toss names around like scraps to a seagull.

Among other things, we logged off most of Vancouver Island, drove into the chuck at Zeballos, shot cougars, sank a barge in Knight Inlet, burned up a couple camps and fell off the porch at the Nimpkish Hotel in Alert Bay.

All the while, I got Google in overdrive trying to keep up with names and places.

Near wears me out...

T'ords the end we hit on more boats which led to the name Robert Critchley then landed on this little gem and said;
"damn...that has to be in the sheer thread."

I'm bettin' Ted Tad and Con Rad have seen this pretty lady in the flesh.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cape Ross 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	51477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape Ross.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	51478  
Old 05-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #111
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
As to myself, you'd win that bet.

Ted
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #112
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I think "droppy bow" (as in above) may be a "reverse sheer" ... As in convex. Instead of the sheer being concave (as are most boats) it becomes convex on the bow deck so the helm'sman can see over same.

On some boats like the old wood runabouts and ski boats that had only a subtle reverse sheer, tumblehome aft and a nice flare ect had a lot to do w the type became one of the best looking boats ever.

But if you want to be straight w your engineering and completely practical you would probably adopt a straight sheer (or nearly so) ... like many DeFevers, at least w semi-planing boats. If you're going out on the Grand Banks for a few days you'll probably want a more rockered sheer .. and chine.

Something probably not often thought about re sheer is that considerable sheer reduces the weight of a boat by lowering the sheer amidships ... where it's not needed so much on most designs. Cabin structure is lighter than hull structure.

Art,
What stem does not point toward the water?
I had a dinghy w a reverse curve stem kinda like a canoe .. is that what you're talking about? The reverse curve sheer does clearly point to the water.
A "hoged keel" is concave from the outside of the hull. Is your hoged sheer convex? I think you're talking about the distasteful practice of a reverse sheer fwd pointing down as a styling function to make a boat look vogue. I don't like that either. Kinda like wheelhouse windows slanting fwd. but there are some good practical reasons for both. The vogue ones are often taken to an extreme.
Eric you are correct in last paragraph. "Hog-Back (hogged) sheer is a term my dad and I used back in 60's when he wad designing boats... a bit.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #113
Guru

See Cape Ross on a regular basis.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:07 PM   #114
Art
Guru

Quote:
This morning, I spent 3 hours on the phone with an old truck logger in Sayward and when that happens we cover the coast and toss names around like scraps to a seagull.

Among other things, we logged off most of Vancouver Island, drove into the chuck at Zeballos, shot cougars, sank a barge in Knight Inlet, burned up a couple camps and fell off the porch at the Nimpkish Hotel in Alert Bay.

All the while, I got Google in overdrive trying to keep up with names and places.

Near wears me out...

T'ords the end we hit on more boats which led to the name Robert Critchley then landed on this little gem and said;

Sure is a stately girl! Purdy too!!

Old 05-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #115
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:

Near wears me out...

Haven't had the pleasure although it has been on my radar for some time. Refitted by Mike Gooldrup I believe. Ted might know more about it.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #116
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Here's the info

Cape Ross converted seiner live aboard boat for sale.

Ted
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #117
Guru

Quote:
See Cape Ross on a regular basis.
But we know the Spy sees all.
Here's her half sister.
Not near as pretty but a half blind old man would still smile wakin' up with her.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capecook.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	51494  
Old 05-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #118
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Sadly not my boat. She's the one that got away. Could have done it, should have done it, didn't do it. M/V Charlie Noble, which belonged to a TF user. Lovely sheer line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	51495   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	51496  
Old 05-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #119
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
It's a personal choice but I think the Cape Cook conversion is a lot more sympathetic to the original than the Cape Ross conversion, in which the original boat all but disappears.

Most sheerlines start strong (at the stem) and then sort of peter out. A while back I was looking for a sheer that is strong all the way through and found one on this Norwegian vessel.

Name:	Norwiganshape.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	51497

A really good sheer (IMO) is a twisting sinuous curve of ever changing radii, a line to get lost in. It does not just go flat from midships aft, it's got perk at the stern. Most end up looking droopy aft unless there's a subtle little lift in the last few feet.

Name:	12783798_1104722072893411_5717756604464165825_o.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	51498

In Maine the powderhorn effect is called "Moose Shoulders" and can only be spotted from certain viewpoints.

Name:	Northernviking1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	51499
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #120
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts;
It's a personal choice but I think the Cape Cook conversion is a lot more sympathetic to the original than the Cape Ross conversion, in which the original boat all but disappears.
Agree with that. They are both classy and I was looking at the Ross from what I see as a great indoor, outdoor recreational, mix not restoration.

Farrell had some decent sheers as well.
Subtle maybe?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Farrell.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	51501