Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #101
Guru
 
Northern Spy's Avatar
 
City: Powell River, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
One of my all time favourites for 'sheer beauty'...the Allweather pocket trawler;

More Pictures

When I saw an Allweather in person, there seemed to be a little bit of powder horn going on in the bow, which was a bit disappointing. But yeah, I've always liked the concept of them, but not necessarily the execution. Closer to fish boat, than recreational trawler.

Hard to beat a 26' MWB for shear. There was one that was moored south of town on Malaspina Strait all year round. In the winter storms it looked like a puppy on a leash. I'd drive out just to watch it bounce around for awhile.
__________________
Advertisement

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #102
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy;
When I saw an Allweather in person, there seemed to be a little bit of powder horn going on in the bow, which was a bit disappointing.
Powder horn?
In this context.
__________________

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #103
Guru
 
Northern Spy's Avatar
 
City: Powell River, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,666
Show your sheer line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Powder horn?
In this context.

A droopy bow.

Like many of Tom Fexus'es designs.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #104
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
When I saw an Allweather in person, there seemed to be a little bit of powder horn going on in the bow, which was a bit disappointing. But yeah, I've always liked the concept of them, but not necessarily the execution. Closer to fish boat, than recreational trawler.

Hard to beat a 26' MWB for shear. There was one that was moored south of town on Malaspina Strait all year round. In the winter storms it looked like a puppy on a leash. I'd drive out just to watch it bounce around for awhile.
Gilligan - Did you take one or the other of the gals from the island-show on some of those drives with you... to, so called... "watch it bounce around". Is that the only thing you were planning to "watch bounce around"? Tell me it isn't true!! Were you guys fooling around back in the 60's? Is some of what I've heard true?? - LOL
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #105
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
A droopy bow.
Hah!
I, more than anyone, understands that.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #106
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
A droopy bow.

Like many of Tom Fexus'es designs.
I'm not clear on definition of "droopy bow". Please explain.

What I do not like are boat designs that have the sheer line "hog backed"; wherein the bow's stem angle/sheer points downward toward the water. I've been in too many rough seas and know from experience that well outwardly angled top end prow of a bow, whose sheer line points considerably upward, is best for handling big waves; be they oncoming or following sea conditions.

I've never seen a real fishing trawler designed with hog backed sheer line.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #107
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,707
I think "droppy bow" (as in above) may be a "reverse sheer" ... As in convex. Instead of the sheer being concave (as are most boats) it becomes convex on the bow deck so the helm'sman can see over same.

On some boats like the old wood runabouts and ski boats that had only a subtle reverse sheer, tumblehome aft and a nice flare ect had a lot to do w the type became one of the best looking boats ever.

But if you want to be straight w your engineering and completely practical you would probably adopt a straight sheer (or nearly so) ... like many DeFevers, at least w semi-planing boats. If you're going out on the Grand Banks for a few days you'll probably want a more rockered sheer .. and chine.

Something probably not often thought about re sheer is that considerable sheer reduces the weight of a boat by lowering the sheer amidships ... where it's not needed so much on most designs. Cabin structure is lighter than hull structure.

Art,
What stem does not point toward the water?
I had a dinghy w a reverse curve stem kinda like a canoe .. is that what you're talking about? The reverse curve sheer does clearly point to the water.
A "hoged keel" is concave from the outside of the hull. Is your hoged sheer convex? I think you're talking about the distasteful practice of a reverse sheer fwd pointing down as a styling function to make a boat look vogue. I don't like that either. Kinda like wheelhouse windows slanting fwd. but there are some good practical reasons for both. The vogue ones are often taken to an extreme.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #108
Guru
 
Northern Spy's Avatar
 
City: Powell River, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,666
Powder horn sheer. With a crane proboscis to accentuate.


Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462298886.323729.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	51474
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #109
Guru
 
Northern Spy's Avatar
 
City: Powell River, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,666
As far as powderhorn sheer goes. Very few boats can pull it off. George Caulkins Bartender is one of the few to get it right. Even then, it varies by builder. Some look great, some look... well, less than great.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #110
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
This morning, I spent 3 hours on the phone with an old truck logger in Sayward and when that happens we cover the coast and toss names around like scraps to a seagull.

Among other things, we logged off most of Vancouver Island, drove into the chuck at Zeballos, shot cougars, sank a barge in Knight Inlet, burned up a couple camps and fell off the porch at the Nimpkish Hotel in Alert Bay.

All the while, I got Google in overdrive trying to keep up with names and places.

Near wears me out...

T'ords the end we hit on more boats which led to the name Robert Critchley then landed on this little gem and said;
"damn...that has to be in the sheer thread."

I'm bettin' Ted Tad and Con Rad have seen this pretty lady in the flesh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape Ross 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	51477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape Ross.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	51478  
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #111
Ted
Guru
 
Ted's Avatar
 
City: Campbell River
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 581
As to myself, you'd win that bet.

Ted
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #112
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I think "droppy bow" (as in above) may be a "reverse sheer" ... As in convex. Instead of the sheer being concave (as are most boats) it becomes convex on the bow deck so the helm'sman can see over same.

On some boats like the old wood runabouts and ski boats that had only a subtle reverse sheer, tumblehome aft and a nice flare ect had a lot to do w the type became one of the best looking boats ever.

But if you want to be straight w your engineering and completely practical you would probably adopt a straight sheer (or nearly so) ... like many DeFevers, at least w semi-planing boats. If you're going out on the Grand Banks for a few days you'll probably want a more rockered sheer .. and chine.

Something probably not often thought about re sheer is that considerable sheer reduces the weight of a boat by lowering the sheer amidships ... where it's not needed so much on most designs. Cabin structure is lighter than hull structure.

Art,
What stem does not point toward the water?
I had a dinghy w a reverse curve stem kinda like a canoe .. is that what you're talking about? The reverse curve sheer does clearly point to the water.
A "hoged keel" is concave from the outside of the hull. Is your hoged sheer convex? I think you're talking about the distasteful practice of a reverse sheer fwd pointing down as a styling function to make a boat look vogue. I don't like that either. Kinda like wheelhouse windows slanting fwd. but there are some good practical reasons for both. The vogue ones are often taken to an extreme.
Eric you are correct in last paragraph. "Hog-Back (hogged) sheer is a term my dad and I used back in 60's when he wad designing boats... a bit.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #113
Guru
 
Northern Spy's Avatar
 
City: Powell River, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,666
See Cape Ross on a regular basis.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:07 PM   #114
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
This morning, I spent 3 hours on the phone with an old truck logger in Sayward and when that happens we cover the coast and toss names around like scraps to a seagull.

Among other things, we logged off most of Vancouver Island, drove into the chuck at Zeballos, shot cougars, sank a barge in Knight Inlet, burned up a couple camps and fell off the porch at the Nimpkish Hotel in Alert Bay.

All the while, I got Google in overdrive trying to keep up with names and places.

Near wears me out...

T'ords the end we hit on more boats which led to the name Robert Critchley then landed on this little gem and said;
"damn...that has to be in the sheer thread."

I'm bettin' Ted Tad and Con Rad have seen this pretty lady in the flesh.
Sure is a stately girl! Purdy too!!

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #115
Guru
 
Conrad's Avatar
 
City: Calgary
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
This morning, I spent 3 hours on the phone with an old truck logger in Sayward and when that happens we cover the coast and toss names around like scraps to a seagull.

Among other things, we logged off most of Vancouver Island, drove into the chuck at Zeballos, shot cougars, sank a barge in Knight Inlet, burned up a couple camps and fell off the porch at the Nimpkish Hotel in Alert Bay.

All the while, I got Google in overdrive trying to keep up with names and places.

Near wears me out...

T'ords the end we hit on more boats which led to the name Robert Critchley then landed on this little gem and said;
"damn...that has to be in the sheer thread."

I'm bettin' Ted Tad and Con Rad have seen this pretty lady in the flesh.
Haven't had the pleasure although it has been on my radar for some time. Refitted by Mike Gooldrup I believe. Ted might know more about it.
__________________
Conrad
Berthed in
Campbell River BC
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #116
Ted
Guru
 
Ted's Avatar
 
City: Campbell River
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 581
Here's the info

Cape Ross converted seiner live aboard boat for sale.

Ted
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #117
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
See Cape Ross on a regular basis.
But we know the Spy sees all.
Here's her half sister.
Not near as pretty but a half blind old man would still smile wakin' up with her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capecook.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	51494  
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #118
Guru
 
Wayfarer's Avatar
 
City: Oneida Lake, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 784
Sadly not my boat. She's the one that got away. Could have done it, should have done it, didn't do it. M/V Charlie Noble, which belonged to a TF user. Lovely sheer line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	51495   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	51496  
__________________
Dave
Just be nice to each other, dammit.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #119
Guru
 
Tad Roberts's Avatar
 
City: Flattop Islands
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 707
It's a personal choice but I think the Cape Cook conversion is a lot more sympathetic to the original than the Cape Ross conversion, in which the original boat all but disappears.

Most sheerlines start strong (at the stem) and then sort of peter out. A while back I was looking for a sheer that is strong all the way through and found one on this Norwegian vessel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Norwiganshape.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	51497

A really good sheer (IMO) is a twisting sinuous curve of ever changing radii, a line to get lost in. It does not just go flat from midships aft, it's got perk at the stern. Most end up looking droopy aft unless there's a subtle little lift in the last few feet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12783798_1104722072893411_5717756604464165825_o.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	51498

In Maine the powderhorn effect is called "Moose Shoulders" and can only be spotted from certain viewpoints.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Northernviking1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	51499
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #120
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts;
It's a personal choice but I think the Cape Cook conversion is a lot more sympathetic to the original than the Cape Ross conversion, in which the original boat all but disappears.
Agree with that. They are both classy and I was looking at the Ross from what I see as a great indoor, outdoor recreational, mix not restoration.

Farrell had some decent sheers as well.
Subtle maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Farrell.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	51501  
__________________

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012