Show us your stern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eyschulman,

Her stern's real pretty... but... I'm really attracted to her fine looking bottom! That don't make me all bad, does it! :facepalm: :lol:

OK, while we are mooning each other.....

Attachments

• PCH_2014-04-14_03-24_3717.jpg
    PCH_2014-04-14_03-24_3717.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 156
  • PCH_2014-04-14_03-24_3719.jpg
    PCH_2014-04-14_03-24_3719.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 178
  • PCH_2014-04-14_03-25_3720.jpg
    PCH_2014-04-14_03-25_3720.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 174
Talk about being able to slip through the water!!! OMG!

wow.. talk about a virgin bottom!

What is the large hole to port of the prop?

HOLLYWOOD

Yes, it's about as virgin as they come.

That hole is the stern thruster tube. It's an arched shape with a companion hole on the other side. I don't know how common an approach this arrangement is. I think all the non-nordhavn stern thrusters I've seen are bolt-on units on the transom, but I haven't gone out to study the question.

One challenge with the arched tube is that you can get a trapped air pocket in the high point which is also where the thruster prop is located. The prop spins in the air pocket and effectively disables the thruster. PAE provides a valve and vent line so you can bleed out the air. Once bled, it stays bled unless you encounter some unusual circumstances.

The bolt to the transom thrusters may not be as "developed" or exotic as the built in tube but will no doubt add no drag from sizable holes in the bottom.

However much greater thrust is probably possible. Fowling is probably less since the business part is in the dark. And the built in types don't require a deeply submerged transom or a prop operating very close to the surface.

Looks like a huge box keel fwd.

Very very nice boat.

I like looking at bottoms.
:devil: :eek:

Its dark down there. But flat a**ed by the time you get back there.

Attachments

• bottom1.jpg
    bottom1.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 154
Is that a cage on the prop? Don't see to many of those out west.

Yup.

Wish I didn't have to have one, but got tired of always zig zagging around only to catch a pot warp now and again, usually in adverse conditions. Now I just drive (more slowly) in a straight line. I just don't back up without checking what's behind me.

Attachments

• prop cage.JPG
    prop cage.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
PASSAGE anchored on Fort George River.

photo_gallery.jsp

Interesting thread.
I don't think my stern is so interesting, but hopefully the crystal clear water and the white sandy bottom makes up for that... :thumb:

Attachments

• Piscinas.jpg
    Piscinas.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 140
Interesting thread.
I don't think my stern is so interesting, but hopefully the crystal clear water and the white sandy bottom makes up for that... :thumb:

Welcome, MapisM. On the contrary that shot tells much about your boat. First the large 4 blade props, flat aft sections, squared off transom, and large trim tabs tell that the boat is setup with probably some large engines, and is capable of cruising at maybe 15 to 18 knots. The stabalizer fins tell that it is probably in the 50' range of size. The soft chines should make for easier motion. That is what I derived from the picture. Please tell me where I am wrong.

The fact that the boat is floating in the clear water makes it most interesting. I am sure that you have a story to tell. Hopefully, you will tell it here.

Interesting thread.

At the very least that's a very cool picture; good first post! Welcome!

Thanks folks for the warm welcome...

...though actually, I've been a lurker around here for even longer than my registration shows. I can't remember exactly, but must have been not many years after I moved to the slow boating lifestyle, which happened no less than 15 years ago!
Otoh, being based in the Mediterranean, I always followed more regularly other european forums, with occasional browsing here, for some specific reasons.

Btw, this time it was the sad recent event in Anacortes which made me curious to read the opinions of this panel, because I visited the yard just one year ago, and I couldn't believe what happened, when I read about it... :(
...and then noticed this thread, which made me think to throw in my 2c with the previous pic.

Anyway, back to the "my stern" topic, in reply to Moonstruck: it's easy to tell you where you are wrong, because all your guesses are actually correct, with the only exception of the max speed.
The boat is a timber 53' trawler, built by a small Italian yard.
She is indeed overpowered, as you guessed, but her two Cat 3116 are only good enough to dig a huge hole in the water, at anything above 10 knots or so. In fact, her hull is strictly designed for displacement speed, and 8 to 9 knots is where she spends most of her cruising time, also to keep fuel burn within decent limits, at 6 gph or so.

Truth is, one of her engines would have been more than enough for the hull design, but single engine pleasure boats are very rare around here, because most boaters (myself NOT included) are afraid of the lack of redundancy.
In fact, afaik all the boats built by this yard have twin engines. And on top of that, her first owner specced some pretty big ones, for good measure... :)

Oh, and re. the waters and stories to tell, well, there would be plenty, but for the moment let's say that the pic was taken right in front of one of the nicest beaches along the coastline of Sardinia, right in the middle of the Mediterranean, and not far from my home port.
This is the spot, just in case anyone would want to go for a swim...! :socool:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5424229,8.4455535,1916m/data=!3m1!1e3

Wow....gotta agree that that is a provocative bottom there. Beautiful as it is, I'd had to have it while cruising among a field of crab pots. Great photo!

Nice location indeed. My eldest son lives in Bedazzole Italy and enjoys the beach as often as he can get there.

Here's Boomarang's stern in Galveston last week. Round and kind of slow . . . .

Attachments

• IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Beautiful as it is, I'd had to have it while cruising among a field of crab pots.
You mean because of the rather exposed props, don't you?
If so, I can't disagree, but luckily that's not a big problem around here... :)

My eldest son lives in Bedazzole Italy and enjoys the beach as often as he can get there.
Never heard of Bedazzole. Isn't possibly Bedizzole the name of the place, near Brescia?
If so, it's actually much nearer to Garda Lake, rather than to the sea.
But it's also a lovely boating area, anyway!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom