Show us your stern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just painted

Ready to go. Just waiting to open the road where she will travel for 195 miles downhill to the salt water!!

Attachments

• 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
choose your stern....

Attachments

• rudders and stern zinc.jpg
    rudders and stern zinc.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 143
here is my stern shot! ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1401153450.432105.jpg

Rare sun in ocean village uk

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 152
Sharp,
The rare one you caught just right .... and composed the pic well too.

Fernando, we are waiting with great anticipation.

Fair winds, and following seas to you.

Last time I had her hulled for work,
10306561_10201705710995762_2672999338174891572_n.jpg

Fresh bottom paint, new name, shafts cleaned, trued props (re pitched) for engines and a waxed hull.
10314594_10201705783837583_6315121365977233250_n.jpg

Portugese- Congrats!!! And that is a long road trip.

Make sure boat is well bunked on the trailer, the trailer is in good shape, the road is good, tires good with correct pressure.

I've been around several transports of Carolina boats over the road on a big high quality hydraulic trailer. Even then there have been several horror stories going down the road.

It can be hard on the hull as trailer transmits a lot of shocks to the bunks, and the bunks are like point loads on the hull, often you can't position them in solid spots like under bulkheads. Tractor drivers like to drive like maniacs, too. On one transit (my boat), I was riding shotgun and was very close to punching the driver hard on the side of his head. Better judgement prevailed, and boat, myself and driver survived.

Be safe!!!

Show Us Your Stern-ASD

ASD just got her name installed!

Attachments

• DSCN7272.jpg
    DSCN7272.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 139
Well it would help if I post the entire name with port.....

Attachments

• DSCN7281.jpg
    DSCN7281.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 135
The big lady on the hard from last September at KKMI. Don't anyone call my girl beamy please. I love her just the way she is.

Attachments

• IMG_9234.jpg
    IMG_9234.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_9250 (2).jpg
    IMG_9250 (2).jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 151
Peter, is that in China or Dana Point?

It's still in China, but ready and waiting for the freighter which is on its way. When it arrives in the US, it goes straight off the freighter into the water and runs on its own bottom to the commissioning marina. But don't worry, it's fully ballasted and has been in a test tank.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1401261488.378558.jpg

Picture taken in some unpronounceable village on the West coast of Ireland a few days ago

Bob

Bob,

Now those are some VERY easily driven hulls.
Especially the little guy on the left. I see her propeller is quite far aft.

Last edited:
Getting ready to splash!
Very nice vessel indeed, congrats.
By chance, do you know if l/h props are standard on all single screw Nordhavns?
I've seen both l/h and r/h props used for single engine trawlers, but I never really understood whether there's any efficiency difference in having the gearbox spinning in same direction of the engine (as in l/h prop), or the other way round. :confused:
With apologies for the o/t...

Depends on the tranny. Modern trannies can take full power in either lh and rh output, but most are slightly more efficient in rh. One gearset in play for rh fwd, two gearsets in play for lh fwd.

I heard one comment where boatbuilders get a discount buying props in pairs, then one boat gets the lh, next one gets the rh. I'm not quite cynical enough to believe that completely, though.

most are slightly more efficient in rh. One gearset in play for rh fwd, two gearsets in play for lh fwd.
Yup, that has always been my reasoning too.
Hence my question, because you would expect, on a boat meant for very long distance cruising, that the builder should go for the most efficient alternative, no matter how tiny the difference, unless there are other reasons which I'm missing...
...like the one you mention re. buying props in pairs, but that sounds believable only for much smaller, mass production props, I would think.

Many trawlers with single engines come with left hand screws. Since most steering is on the starboard side because that is the "danger zone". and many lower stations have doors adjacent it makes sense to have a boat that backs to starboard for easier docking.

Most Nordhavns are an exception as most have their steering on the centerline with doors on either side of the PH. RH or LH wheel would just be a matter of preference.

Actually, most Nordhavns are set up for starboard-side tie up, mostly because that's the only side you can walk around (the Salon is full width on the port side). There probably are a few exceptions, but in general it's the case. With a Starboard side tie, you want the reverse prop walk to pull you to starboard, hence a left hand rotation for normal propulsion.

To whatever extend there are port-side boarding gates, it's likely because the original buyer requested it. That's certainly the case on mine. I added a port-side gate off the bridge and a port-side wing station. Both were very economical to add at build time.

One interesting thing with Nordhavns, and probably a lot of other semi-custom boats, is that each one you see is 90% Nordhavn, and 10% the owner who built it. No two are the same, and I'll bet most include options/changes that are not on the normal options list. Everyone wants something different, which of course significantly complicates things for the builder, but that's the business they are in.

Jefferson 52 Marquessa

GEDC0422.jpg

Our Jefferson marquessa with new swimand dinghy platform.

No two are the same, and I'll bet most include options/changes that are not on the normal options list.
Yes, I'm aware of that, but while this explains all those choices which you mentioned, I'm skeptic that many buyers are asking for a specific prop rotation - that's why I was wondering if the yard has any preference (if not really a "standard"), and why.
Btw, in these days of very powerful hydraulic bow and stern thrusters, I don't think the prop walk is a big consideration....
...though I didn't actually see a thruster on your stern, is it still to be fitted maybe?

Last edited:
On my light planing hull boat, the stbd side is a bit heavier than port, slightly more so with helmsman behind the wheel. If I have 40gal extra fuel in port tank, boat sits exactly level. Prop torque with RH wheel tends to lift stbd side, so that helps trim when running. Splitting hairs there, I know... And at trawler speed it makes no difference.

My dock is a portside tie, and that left prop walk is handy there. But I fully understand it being a PITA on a stbd tie. I really have to work it to do a stbd tie if wind/current are not favorable.

Having great visibility from bridge and helm in center (I almost always pilot from bridge)... with twin screws... docking on either side of boat is EZ.
:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom