Old 07-31-2015, 01:20 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Well, he can be funny, but for real that's the process we did it. Obsessive a bit perhaps, but I've learned his methods work. Better than me spotting one and just saying, "Oooh..ohhh...ohhh....that's hot....I want one of those". With that method, we'd have a Fountain or Nortech probably.
I still have no clue what type of boat or boats y'all have...

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:41 PM   #42
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
we've been perfectly happy with our 35 foot sundeck for the past five years, until we looked at a 40' Europa. We like the one level cockpit and salon vs all the steps and the raised aft deck on ours. However the tradeoff is that tall ladder to the flybridge. We'd love a pilot house but most are way larger boats than we need or want to maintain.
Compromises.
I am right with you on everything you just said and I have a strong suspicion I just may sacrifice some tight anchorages, for a pilot house. We'll see.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:19 PM   #43
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
...and I have a strong suspicion I just may sacrifice some tight anchorages, for a pilot house. We'll see.
While not proclaiming to be an expert, stern tying has gotten us squeezed into some pretty tight spots. The tightest so far was in McMicking Inlet, Campania Island, on BC's north coast.

It was so tight there was a danger of our boat rubbing on rocks at low tide with a wind pushing from one side, so we dinghied out a smaller second anchor, and dropped it on the stern quarter of the windward side. (We were gone hiking for most of the days, so wouldn't be there to tighten & loosen sternlines as the 17 foot tides moved in and out).

The bow and amidship anchors limited Badger's movements to pretty much the vertical plane, and we could be gone all day without worrying.

Still working up the nerve to try tying to trees in a narrow cleft in rockwalls / shoreline without using an anchor at all...gives me butterfies in the guts just thinking about it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Badger stern tie, amidship.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	42700  
Old 07-31-2015, 02:35 PM   #44
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
[QUOTE=Hawgwash;353788]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I recommend you look at some Tollycraft boats./QUOTE]

Ah yes, Tollycraft.
I have a couple of Tolly tales:

Gorgeous May long weekend, early eighties.
The only 2 boats in the world, rafted on the hook in the mid morning stillness and gentle mist of Chatterbox Falls, Princess Louisa Inlet.

The silence is compromised by a distant drone of reverberating, synced twins that grew and became amplified by steep surrounding mountains. We watched and waited for 10 maybe 15 minutes until, out from behind Hamilton Island appeared a giant arced bow wave followed by an as yet unknown boat; flat out WOT galloping like the lead horse in the Oklahoma Land Grab.

An amazing feast of sight and sound.
Tollycraft!
One of the first non commercial boats built specifically for the coastal waters north of the Columbia River.

This was the new owners first significant cruise out of the Seattle area, I don't recall just where and as he later related, conditions begged him, for the first time, to shove those throttles as far forward as they could go.

In the mid eighties, before the Kelso plant was sold I asked and was given permission to have my PS class tour the facility. "Tolly" himself was there and I don't recall ever seeing a grin as big as his that day.

I've always liked the Tolly but for one reason or another haven't kept it at the top of any list. Although "four fifty four" is a significant deterrent when pondering a six buck gallon. The 40 in Princess Louisa, with crusaders, hit 48 GPH on that gallop. I've owned other boats with 454s and I could watch the needle fall.
Restraint is not my best quality.
Go for 34' 37' 40' 44' 45' or 48' Tolly with diesels. 34'ers were all gas (I think)... some repowered with diesel. Ours gets pretty good mileage on twin 350 gassers at just below hull/7.58 knots... at approx. 7 knots it gets 2 + nmpg. Cruising with a single running... 5 knot speed - near 3 nmpg. Full plane at 16 to 17 knots... 1 nmpg. WOT... OMG nmpg!!

GPH Boating Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
While not proclaiming to be an expert, stern tying has gotten us squeezed into some pretty tight spots. The tightest so far was in McMicking Inlet, Campania Island, on BC's north coast.

It was so tight there was a danger of our boat rubbing on rocks at low tide with a wind pushing from one side, so we dinghied out a smaller second anchor, and dropped it on the stern quarter of the windward side. (We were gone hiking for most of the days, so wouldn't be there to tighten & loosen the sternlines as the 17 foot tides moved in and out).

The bow and amidship anchors limited Badger's movements to pretty much the vertical plane, and we could be gone all day without worrying.

Still working up the nerve to try tying to trees in a narrow cleft in the rockwall / shoreline without using an anchor at all...gives me butterfies in the guts just thinking about it
Oh, I don't know Murray. The way you figured that one out and could go off for the day sounds pretty expertish to me. Don't you just love 17 foot tides?

The compromise I was getting at was not so much the tight quarters inside an anchorage but the ones getting into them. If you have access to CHS 3535 (inset 2), take a close look at the entrance to Smugglers Cove. A great example of many nooks and crannies between Vancouver and AK.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:09 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Go for 34' 37' 40' 44' 45' or 48' Tolly with diesels. 34'ers were all gas (I think)... some repowered with diesel.
In these parts almost all of them 40 and under were/are gas, from what I've seen. That makes for some exceptional buys, but not for me.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:36 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
The compromise I was getting at was not so much the tight quarters inside an anchorage but the ones getting into them. If you have access to CHS 3535 (inset 2), take a close look at the entrance to Smugglers Cove. A great example of many nooks and crannies between Vancouver and AK.
Ahhh...now I gotchya...that's a needle threader/keel scraper for sure!
Old 07-31-2015, 03:48 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Ahhh...now I gotchya...that's a needle threader/keel scraper for sure!
You got it and I'm sure you've seen a few up your way.
Could run a 42 in there on plane but no amount of KY on a 50 PH would squeeze her in there. Mainly because, as the skipper of the Costa Concordia forgot, the stern turns, not the bow.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #49
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Wifey B: Fast but not super fast and slow but not super slow...

And lots of Rib's.

Riva and Westport....

Narrowed our loop boat down to a 60' Hatteras or a Sea Ray L 650 Fly. That will sort of be our "Trawler", but we already cruise like trawler people, just a bit faster.

Fastest boat we've ever owned was a 30' Cobalt. It would run over 50 knots, once hit 55. Well, take that back. A center console about 60.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:17 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
It's suppose to be a secret but I remember seeing a picture of a 70' to 100' yacht that looked like (but probably not) a Baglietto in his/her avatar.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:26 PM   #51
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
It's suppose to be a secret but I remember seeing a picture of a 70' to 100' yacht that looked like (but probably not) a Baglietto in his/her avatar.
Wifey B: No Baglietto....you might have seen a Riva sometime but not that big.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:23 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
You got it and I'm sure you've seen a few up your way.
Could run a 42 in there on plane but no amount of KY on a 50 PH would squeeze her in there. Mainly because, as the skipper of the Costa Concordia forgot, the stern turns, not the bow.
Thinking outside the box...PDQ 34 power catamaran with 2'4" draft?

PDQ 34 Power Catamaran
Old 07-31-2015, 06:56 PM   #53
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Old School is 38' by 12'. The only thing I would change, if I could, would be 1' starboard and port, then it would be 14' wide. I think width makes more difference than length, comfort-wise anyway.
Mike
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:18 PM   #54
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
Old School is 38' by 12'. The only thing I would change, if I could, would be 1' starboard and port, then it would be 14' wide. I think width makes more difference than length, comfort-wise anyway.
Mike
38' loa div by 14' beam = 2.7

34' loa div by 12'6" beam = 2.7

We really like size and scope of our 34' / 12'6" classic 1977 Tollycraft tri cabin Pleasure Boat!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:21 PM   #55
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
we've been perfectly happy with our 35 foot sundeck for the past five years, until we looked at a 40' Europa.
"Blasphemy" I say! I thought you were an Ocean Alexander gal!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
we've been perfectly happy with our 35 foot sundeck for the past five years, until we looked at a 40' Europa.
Which one?
Maybe the Clipper 40 Europa, which may be an MT40 over there, as marketed here. Some with twins, most with a single/thrusters both ends. An update on the IG36, with gains and losses. So far, the 200K changeover hasn`t made enough sense to motivate a swap. I can certainly see the advantage over a sundeck, provided you accept no aft cabin.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:07 AM   #57
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Thinking outside the box...PDQ 34 power catamaran with 2'4" draft?

PDQ 34 Power Catamaran
Those are great boats but not terribly cheap. Also the staterooms are more sailboat like. You get a "nook" covered with a thin cushion. But hard to beat the other spaces as well as economy. The cats are the one boat where there is no "hump" and you can take advantage of the 9-12 knot speed range without any penalty for having to climb over that hump.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #58

I have a GB36, my previous boat was a Silverton 312. My regrets are that I bought too small, I miss the sedan configuration and it's too slow for my limited boating time right now. But I can't justify moving up now being that we only use the boat about six times a year on a good year so we make it work.

I also wonder if had I moved up to a bigger boat like a 42'er if I would be satisfied or would I then long for a 46'er. Is "shoulda, coulda, woulda" more about the person or the boat?
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:13 PM   #59
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
"Blasphemy" I say! I thought you were an Ocean Alexander gal!

The Europa we saw is an Ocean Alexander. First time I'd been on one. Wow.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #60

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
We caught the same disease about 3 years ago for exactly the same reasons. We were off the coast a couple of days ago, cruising at 10 knots and experiencing uncomfortable rolls. We kicked the speed up to 13 knots and had a great ride. (I can always slow down but having the ability to match what the sea throws at us is priceless.
Shhhh...this is the trawler forum...

djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote