Old 11-24-2018, 09:55 AM   #1

City: Carefree, AZ and Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Sea-N-Stars
Vessel Model: 1990 49' Albin
Should we remove this, or how to use it?

I wish all boating problems were this simple! We are asking for opinions on this interior feature from those with more trawler life experience.

This shelf unit is on the forward port side of our salon. As you look at this picture the port side door is behind that bar stool. Of course opposite this area of the salon is the lower helm and starboard exit door well out of frame. We keep the area from door-to-door open (bar stool not usually there). The 3 steps down to galley and dinette are just to the right of this shelf, between the lower helm and this shelf area. Now that you are oriented.... what would you do with it?

It is in such a valuable area being near that port door to the deck, I want the space to be functional. Galley is down so I cannot see using it to store cups/glasses what would appear to be the intent. The lower shelf does not have much of a "fiddle" to it to hold items in place when moving. from the salon you look through this space to the dinette. While we like the open air space between the shelves looking down to dinette from the salon, it is tempting to build a cabinet here that might be more useful.

Being new to this trawler life, and seeing how this shelf/storage unit is in nice condition, I thought I would turn to you guys with more experience. It seems purpose-built -- but for what purpose? Is there a good way to use this as it is, or would you build a cabinet here instead of this shelf unit?
It's "pretty", but is it useful? I hate to tear it out only to later learn it would have been quite useful. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
shelf port side 2000.jpg  
AZ2Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
When I bought Retreat, she had a similar looking rolling bar that fit under the helm seat, so when put away, was out of sight, out of mind. Yours lacks only the storage place.

As my boat was 14 yrs old at the time, and I was at least 20 yrs younger than the previous 3 owners, I opted for a conversion from rolling bar to rolling tool chest. One of those red multi drawer tool boxes fit perfectly and still occupies the space.

In your case I would simply free up valuable open space. Save the teak, you may find a use for some of it.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
I expect I'd leave it place for the first year or so... and then decide...

-Chris
Old 11-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #4

City: Seattle
Vessel Model: 55 Offshore
Maybe my perception of the photo is off, but is it really there to act as somewhat of a railing?
Bradenvlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Pentiction
Vessel Name: Bluefin
Turn it sideways and fill it with wine !
Ejdakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
I’d leave it for a while, too. Scar of removal. Might actually be useful. Might be seamlessly modifiable.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
Guru

Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I wonder if that is one of those paper chart racks. I’ve never really seen a paper chart but i’ve Heard about them from the old timers.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
It looks like it is held on by only 4 screws.
Remove it, make your evaluation. You can put it in your storeroom if you do not have a use for it. When you sell the boat, put it back in, if you wish.
Or sell it on eBay

Looks like it interferes with the use of the seat. Maybe the previous owner added it?
Old 11-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Almost certainly designed for booze and glasses. Personally, I'd put a cabinet there, but the advice to live with it for awhile is very well taken. Over the course of time, you will come up with a variety of tweaks for the boat if you're like most cruisers, so you will want to factor this one so the combination or tweaks work well together.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Can the uprights be modified to swap the shelves around and change the spacing?
It looks like it would more functional if the bottle rack was at / near the bottom and a solid shelf up top.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #11

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Almost certainly designed for booze and glasses. Personally, I'd put a cabinet there, but the advice to live with it for awhile is very well taken. Over the course of time, you will come up with a variety of tweaks for the boat if you're like most cruisers, so you will want to factor this one so the combination or tweaks work well together.
+1
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #12

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Paper chart holder... great idea. Wish I had one so I had a place for mine. Still have not found a good place to store paper charts.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #13
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Possible flag holder?
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #14
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
That's the most ridiculous shelf. How much wine/alcohol needs one to consume before being eligible to the leave the dock?
Old 11-24-2018, 08:29 PM   #15
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. MP. "That's the most ridiculous shelf." I tend to agree and that's sort of Mr. AZ's question. I'm #3 in the "leave it for a while" crowd. Not only shelves in this particular boat but pretty well anything in a "new to you" boat.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:13 PM   #16
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I would need one to hold my wine glasses...

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:54 PM   #17
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Funny, I have the same kind of unit on the sundeck next to my wet bar and have no idea what it is and/or was. Mine was made out of fiberglass. I took it out and replace it with a wine cooler.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:45 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwestman View Post
Paper chart holder... great idea. Wish I had one so I had a place for mine. Still have not found a good place to store paper charts.

Sure, except you don't want to roll paper charts, or paper anything, except a joint

Oops, did I just say that out loud???
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:02 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Sure, except you don't want to roll paper charts, or paper anything, except a joint

Oops, did I just say that out loud???
O M G.... I think that must have been what the "old time TFrs" debated endlessly. What's the proper way to store charts.... roll them.... fold them... store them flat...

That was before all the new style anchors became available [emoji33]
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:33 AM   #20

City: Carefree, AZ and Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Sea-N-Stars
Vessel Model: 1990 49' Albin
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think there is a lot of wisdom in the suggestion to leave it for a while and see what uses/modifications surface as we get a feel for spending time aboard.

Bradenvlp is also correct in that the shelf unit's position above the dinette does make it serve as a railing to some degree separating the salon from the area below, so something will be required here if we do remove it. Turning it into a cabinet would address that.

As for wine/alcohol, I think we found that a standard wine bottle is actually just a bit to big to fit into the holes which was a surprise and made the design more puzzling.

OldDan's point is a good one, too. It would be easy enough to put back into place if we do remove. Baccus, I agree with your thought as well. Simply modifying the spacing/order of the shelves could be a nice improvement.

It is very pretty wood, and made well enough, we just need to figure out its purpose. I'm leaning toward the advice above to just leave it for a while and see. Thanks again for the thoughts.
AZ2Loop is offline   Reply With Quote