Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #1

City: Bohemia
shot gun on board

I am planning a trip. I want to spend about 1 year on my boat on the east coast. I prefer anchoring out and I am sure to be in some isolated areas at times. I was considering one of those marine grade shot guns for protection. They are st. st. and they come in a waterproof tube. Are there any legal issues I would need to be aware of? I know in NYC, you can't have a gun at all. But, I'm not going to NYC. I will be on the ICW from NJ to Fl. Does anyone else have a weapon on board?

Old 06-27-2015, 11:40 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
You should check the gun laws of every state you will visit. In Texas and Florida you can keep a gun onboard without any license or registration, since you boat is considered your home. Not sure about other states. I believe the NRA website has the laws for every state.

We always have a gun onboard. But, we haven't been to New York yet. Or Massachussetts. Or Illinois.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:53 PM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I carry a 10-gauge cannon. ...

Old 06-28-2015, 12:17 AM   #4
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
As I understand it, and I am no lawyer, up and down the east coast of the US, guns can be kept on the boat. Take them off the boat and local rules apply.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:19 AM   #5
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Drake has given good advice. Check with each state you plan to visit. It's my opinion that you should be good to go. I believe NYC's goofy laws are for handguns, not scatter guns. Good luck!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 06-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #6

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
If you don't give anyone a reason to search your boat, then it makes no difference. We firmly believe in the 2nd amendment.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:18 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Follow safe storage rules (trigger lock or locked cabinet) as it would be embarrassing to be shot by your own gun if an intruder boarded your boat before you returned.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
Old 06-28-2015, 07:21 AM   #8
FF
Guru

"I would rather be tried by 12 than burried by 6"
Old 06-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #9

City: Jacksonville Fla
Vessel Name: The Office
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
Guns on board

Good advise here. Check local law before carrying ashore. Be ready to show firearms if boarded by LEO. Every boarding by Coast Guard or Florida Water police has asked "Do you have firearms on board?" Never had a problem. Use common sense and good security with on board firearms. Anchored out use bright strong lights, watch dog and aware of surroundings. Myself I refuse to be a victim. And I am not going to New York!
Old 06-28-2015, 09:11 AM   #10
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I always have a gun aboard, especially on my fishing boats. Some fish dont come onboard until properly sedated. I've been boarded numerous times by the fish po po and USCG and never been asked if I had a gun. I think they assume we all have one.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #11
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
About 5 years ago we were boarded by the CG near Pensacola, I believe it was a training mission. Before boarding they asked about firearms, I said yes they told me to unload them (two handguns) put them and ammo on the bed. When they boarded one went to them and when he came back up said he had hidden the ammo. They did a quick inspection checked the boats paperwork, when they got back in their dinghy they told me where the ammo was. No questions or other mention about the guns at all.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #12

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
NYC rules apply to all firearms. All long guns and pistols must be registered and licensed. Do a little research on the Federal Firearm Owners Protection Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firear...Protection_Act

This would cover you even while transiting through NYC waters.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #13
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
While this has yet to be addressed it would appear that those individual state, or local laws banning firearms may be unconstitutional. The Supreme Court decided last week that (gay marriage issue) if you are granted a right of citizenship in one state that right must be honored in all. My take is that if (as I do) I have a carry permit in Ga. it would be honored in N.Y. Might cost a good bit in legal to battle this one in the courts but I think the recent ruling would certainly allow it.
dan
Old 06-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Having cruised the entire east coast several times and anchored in remote places as a habit, I have no idea what good a shotgun will serve unless you plan to do some waterfowl hunting. I have a nice Berretta 12ga semi and left it on shore in storage for 7 years (along with a S&W 38 special and a Makarov 9mm). Do you plan on wearing a helmet and a PFD 24/7 while on board? You will have far,far greater and more likely need for them than a gun by a factor of about 1,000,000, and that sounds conservative come to think of it.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 06-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

City: -
I tend to agree with George. Unless one decides to go boating off Somalia or somewhere similar a firearm on a boat for "protection" is, I think, more about the scenarios dreamed up by the gun owner to justify carrying a gun than reality.

We carry a firearm in the floatplane and occasionally on the boat on longer cruises up north but we do so solely as part of our survival kit (plane, required) and as bear protection. We've needed it for bears, never needed it for a hoody-cladded bad guy sneaking onto our boat bent on burglary and bodily harm.

Perhaps the east coast is different with gangs roaming the marinas and anchorages in search of easy targets, I don't know. I've met a lot of guys with carry permits. All of them were very eager to tell me they had one and to show off their Glock or whatever and none of them had ever actually needed to use it.

This is not to say I don't think a person should have a permit or carry a firearm-- people can do what they want to to. But since these days firearms seem to have a way of generating their own trouble and news headlines, why tempt fate unless it's actually needed. So far, recreational boating in the US and Canada does not strike me as an occupation that requires one to have the ability to blaze away at attackers.

If the land surrounding the ICW and other east coast cruising area was home to brown bears we would most likely carry our shotgun on board for when we went ashore, however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	41498  
Old 06-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #16

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
A perfectly legal spray can of wasp repellent will shoot 30', blind whoever you hit (at least for 15 minutes) and you cannot be arrested for defending yourself with insect repellent. Bear spray, as I understand it, is actually a fog and will hit you the same as who you spray it at. Once they're screaming in pain a fish billy will quiet them down.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #17
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueYonder View Post
NYC rules apply to all firearms. All long guns and pistols must be registered and licensed. Do a little research on the Federal Firearm Owners Protection Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firear...Protection_Act

This would cover you even while transiting through NYC waters.
Provided you don't stop overnight. Otherwise you might not qualify as "transiting."
Old 06-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Isn't it the USCG that does boardings and searches, at least for the most part?

The USCG does not care about state law. They only care about federal law.

I also believe that state police, if they board you, probably need a search warrant to search your boat.

If it were me, I'd carry the firearm of my choice, and not take it to shore. Do not give state police any reason to search your boat, and go about your happy life.

Myself, I see no reason to checkk with or deal with any state you are traveling in. Now, that might technically be against a law somewhere but i don't really care. If you feel like you want to carry a firearm carry it. Unless you are engaging in some very suspisious behavior you are not going to have an issue.

BTW we are always armed. We carry a Marlin 45-70 lever action. Probably the best bear gun made, and certainlly enough to deal with a human intruder in the unlikely event the need arises.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 06-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
... BTW we are always armed. We carry a Marlin 45-70 lever action. Probably the best bear gun made, and certainlly enough to deal with a human intruder in the unlikely event the need arises.
Interesting that there is still interest and practicality for using this 142-year-old cartridge design, admittedly after being improved with more powerful propellant to take advantage of stronger construction of modern arms.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #20
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Big bears need big holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Interesting that there is still interest and practicality for using this 142-year-old cartridge design, admittedly after being improved with more powerful propellant to take advantage of stronger construction of modern arms.
I prefer 3" 12quage slugs.

Closed Thread