shot gun on board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that Eskimos favored the 22 Hornet, a small center-fire round designed for varmints, not the 22 rimfire cartridge which is considerably less powerful. The Hornet was used in some WWII survival kits.

In the book I read this in, a history of the Eskimo but I can't tell you what book, the caliber was .22LR. This was a long, long time ago and I'm sure the Eskimos graduated to more effective firearms as they became available or affordable or whatever. I simply mentioned this as an illustration of the fact that you don't need the latest designer guns to kill things, even big things.

....brings our allot of unsubstantiated passionate opinions based on ones personal experiences, not necessarily the underlying facts

I love this, to me, ignorant position I see expressed all the time that personal experiences should not be considered to be fact.

To me, there is no more valid fact than personal experience. Everything else, like most of the stuff in this thread, is simply opinion and theory.

When we went shopping for an anchor to replace our POS Bruce, sure, we read what all the manufacturers had to say. We also read "analyses" of different anchors by so-called experts in on-line articles and reviews. In the same way as most people on forums like this, they presented all sorts of reasons (aka theories) as to why such and such an anchor would behave in some way based on their analysis of the design. Not by actually using it-- most of this kind of stuff is written by people who have probably never even seen the physical product let alone used it-- but based solely on their interpretation of the design and how they visualize it will interact with the bottom.

Okay, some of that can be useful and can provide things to think about.

But the thing we based our final decision on was not any of this stuff but the testimonials and personal experiences of people who had been using the actual products under actual conditions. That, to us, represented the facts about the various products. We made our decision based on these personal experiences and have never once had reason to think we might have made the wrong one.

All the rest of it, the speculation, the theories, the opinions based on guesses is just so much worthless fluff as far as I'm concerned and has zero credibility until proved otherwise by credible, actual, personal experiences by credible people.

Which is why my advice to newbies to this forum is NEVER, EVER act on anything they read here without checking it with a truly credible source in person.

Last edited:
I guess now I am going to have to ask Amazon if I can have the phone number for everyone who has reviewed a product that I am considering purchasing. The airfare to see them in person may be a deal killer.

My understanding of the Eskimos using small caliber and shooting to kill without damaging the coat was the goal.

That was straight from the locals mouth on St Lawrence Island guarding the Bering Strait

Subscribed. 5 pages in 2 days! Brown bears? LOL!

Last edited:
12 point sockets are inferior to six-point sockets. The only socket that should be allowed to be used as a six-point socket.

I know this is a fact because it is my personal experience. No, I've never had a 12 point socket fail but I know from personal experience and the fact is the 12 point sockets are inferior.

You see, once back in the 1970s my brothers cousins uncle worked as a salesman for snap on. He is an expert in sockets and told me that 12 Point sockets are no good and should never be used.

His advice, and the fact that I removed two bolts with six-point sockets prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that 12 point sockets are in fact inferior.

Last edited:
12 point sockets are inferior to six-point sockets. The only socket that should be allowed to be used as a six-point socket.

I know this is a fact because it is my personal experience. No, I've never had a 12 point socket fail but I know from personal experience and the fact is the 12 point sockets are inferior.

You see, once back in the 1970s my brothers cousins uncle worked as a salesman for snap on. He is an expert in sockets told me that 12 Point sockets are no good and should never be used.

His advice, and the fact that I removed two bolts with six-point sockets prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that 12 point socket are in fact inferior.

I hope you aren't suggesting that there are loose nuts on TF!!!!!:D:D:D

WOW! This post has gone wild! I never mentioned Bears, because I never even seen a bear in my whole life. I was born in Brooklyn and raised on Long Island. I'm pretty much a city boy. I was worried about a "home invasion" type of thing. Maybe I don't have to worry? I've been to City Island by boat. That's within walking distance of a pretty crappy neighborhood in the Bronx. I never had a problem. I think I will not bother getting a gun. Thanx for all these answers.

Probly shouldnt use an impact wrench with 12 point sockets. I still do sometimes, doesnt make it right but it works. Usually. I think we can make 6 pages, especially if the pi$$in contest between Marin and Ksanders keeps up :).

WOW! This post has gone wild! I never mentioned Bears, because I never even seen a bear in my whole life. I was born in Brooklyn and raised on Long Island. I'm pretty much a city boy. I was worried about a "home invasion" type of thing. Maybe I don't have to worry? I've been to City Island by boat. That's within walking distance of a pretty crappy neighborhood in the Bronx. I never had a problem. I think I will not bother getting a gun. Thanx for all these answers.

Best reply in awhile!

Be careful what you ask...all to often a tidbit takes on a life of its own...:D

When Andrew Cunanan came through our town and murdered a park ranger there, my wife and I decided to research purchasing a gun for home defense. I do not own any guns. I bought a Home Defense Gun Digest or some such at the sporting goods store. 32 top experts weighed in on the "best gun for home defense". They ranged from 12 gauge bullpup shotgun, .44 snub nose revolver, .22LR revolver, Colt 45, WW2 Italian machine pistol, Mini-Ruger rifle, 9MM pistols, .357 magnum revolvers, on and on. Each expert explained why their choice was "best". So we bought a dog instead.

Trawler Forum is the equivalent of a knomish committee. A little knome/engineer comes up with a decent idea, then it goes to committee and comes back as something only remotely similar. Fun tho, aint it ?

Highwire, that's a great story! However, you are fully responsible for the debate on "which is the best dog" that's bound to follow! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom