Short Video Tour of Your Boat Underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice Vid Al. Looks like a relaxing day on the water with a fishing pole.

Are the various inland water ways in the upper bay and delta well charted in regards to depths and UW hazards?

Can a visitor navigate through there fairly easily, or is it best to get some local knowledge/input prior?

Nice Vid Al. Looks like a relaxing day on the water with a fishing pole.

Are the various inland water ways in the upper bay and delta well charted in regards to depths and UW hazards?

Can a visitor navigate through there fairly easily, or is it best to get some local knowledge/input prior?

I usually don't work very hard when I'm fishing. I'm out there to relax and occasionally catch a monster fish. In fact, the last one I caught in 2018 was over 8 ft long, belly-hooked at mid-length and then tailwrapped on the other rod. She was longer than my fishing rod and heavier than me!

I fought her for 1 1/2 hrs. It's a long story but I had to catch her twice, once on each rod with the help of a second boat coming to assist me. It was quite a day and I was still sore but still smiling for 7 days after that!

Yes, the waters are pretty well charted but winter storms can always rearrange the local shoaling. Then there are those one or two shoals that are marked but not too prominently. Several friends and I have bumped one in particular during our travels. Both were members here, too. In almost all cases, it's a very forgiving mud bottom that only polishes the props...if you're lucky.

A reliable rule of thumb for delta anchoring...never anchor in less than 15 ft of water. Any less and the weed growth can foul your anchor. The winds are fairly predictable out of the SW and finding wind protection on serpentine waterways is pretty simple.

I'm happy to share delta anchorages with anyone who asks. I gratefully accept bribes for the Secret Cove coordinates.

We have a thread in the Cruising and Events-West Coast section here on TF that covers many of the destinations.

Here's the link...

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s28/ca-bay-delta-cruising-guide-6139.html

My 2018 Personal Best...

Attachments

• Tailwrapped.jpg
    Tailwrapped.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Here's a raw video of Giggitoni's Mahalo Moi rafted with FlyWright while sturgeon fishing on Monetzuma Slough at Hunter Cut. The sturgeon love the chocolate milk color.

Lots of debris in the water after our recent storms. You can see the next storm approaching.

(Yes, that's both boats hanging on a single 33# Lewmar Claw. :hide:)

Cool video Al . I had no idea that you had these kind of cruising grounds in your area.

Very nice. I love the Bluewater 40. Yours looks exceptionally nice. A buddy of mine in San Diego had one. He brought it across the Gulf and the did the loop. He sold it about a year ago in Florida. The name of the boat was Bodacious. It was a single engine. Great boats.

Thanks Marty, not many people know about them. We have an informal group email list and a facebook group for BW40 owners. We're planning a rendezvous in May...should be fun. Ours came up from San Diego to Olympia on it's own bottom 30 years ago where it was boathouse stored most of it's life and how we keep her covered moorage on Lake Union. Many are in the PNW and head to Alaska yearly. I've heard of two that went through the Panama Canal. Great, simple, tough, capable little boats.

Last edited:
Dronie shot off the east of Catalina at Sunrise. We were treated to a swim with some big Mola Mola shortly after I took this.

Shot in high res, so best viewed at 720, or 1080.

https://youtu.be/8M7MHOs3fp0

Last edited:
We used to enjoy cocktails at the Virgin Sturgeon years ago. Was fun to stop there and Crawdad's while water skiing on the Sacramento River.

I usually don't work very hard when I'm fishing. I'm out there to relax and occasionally catch a monster fish. In fact, the last one I caught in 2018 was over 8 ft long, belly-hooked at mid-length and then tailwrapped on the other rod. She was longer than my fishing rod and heavier than me!

I fought her for 1 1/2 hrs. It's a long story but I had to catch her twice, once on each rod with the help of a second boat coming to assist me. It was quite a day and I was still sore but still smiling for 7 days after that!

Yes, the waters are pretty well charted but winter storms can always rearrange the local shoaling. Then there are those one or two shoals that are marked but not too prominently. Several friends and I have bumped one in particular during our travels. Both were members here, too. In almost all cases, it's a very forgiving mud bottom that only polishes the props...if you're lucky.

A reliable rule of thumb for delta anchoring...never anchor in less than 15 ft of water. Any less and the weed growth can foul your anchor. The winds are fairly predictable out of the SW and finding wind protection on serpentine waterways is pretty simple.

I'm happy to share delta anchorages with anyone who asks. I gratefully accept bribes for the Secret Cove coordinates.

We have a thread in the Cruising and Events-West Coast section here on TF that covers many of the destinations.

Here's the link...

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s28/ca-bay-delta-cruising-guide-6139.html

My 2018 Personal Best...

Dronie shot off the east of Catalina at Sunrise. We were treated to a swim with some big Mola Mola shortly after I took this.

Shot in high res, so best viewed at 720, or 1080.

https://youtu.be/8M7MHOs3fp0

You're just messing with us! I thought you were going to take off and have the drone follow you.

Great video. I'd love to see her underway from the drone. How fast can your drone go?

(...waiting for part deux)

Our old tug in the Strait of Juan de Fuca 2016:

OLOH Underway

Well, it's not short, but a lot of people have asked us through our site to post more video of our departure procedure and what it's like when we're underway and arriving somewhere. When it's just two of us (humans) traveling it's hard to shoot as we depart and arrive as we're busy running the boat and Jasper (our dog) is not great with the camera. On a recent short trip we had some friends along and thus were able to capture more in this long-form video.
Hope you enjoy...

I thought this thread was a great idea, and I’m pretty pleased I can finally take part in it. Here’s A quick and dirty tour of a very much ‘lived-in’ Sylphide, on our maiden trip across Oneida lake. It was a gray, breezy, and splashy day, and the wipers were needed to keep the spray off the ‘screens.

https://youtu.be/3rqI9sF2NAI

Nice video Dave . She is one sweet ride. The fit and finish look top notch . She’s moving along real nice. Thanks for posting.

Man I love the visibility out of the front windows! Such a cool boat, and it looks roomy and sounds quiet.

Nice video Dave . She is one sweet ride. The fit and finish look top notch . She’s moving along real nice. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Marty!

Man I love the visibility out of the front windows! Such a cool boat, and it looks roomy and sounds quiet.

Thanks Dude! It was your video that reminded me of this thread, actually. She's got pretty good visibility, except over the stern. She's got a big ol 'donk on her.

I thought this thread was a great idea, and I’m pretty pleased I can finally take part in it. Here’s A quick and dirty tour of a very much ‘lived-in’ Sylphide, on our maiden trip across Oneida lake. It was a gray, breezy, and splashy day, and the wipers were needed to keep the spray off the ‘screens.

https://youtu.be/3rqI9sF2NAI

It took me a month to figure out how to turn our wipers on so you are doing pretty good! Congrats Dave. One question....

Where is the burgee?

In April 2018, I posted a nice calm July passage, but this is more typical of running to somewhere in New England... wind, rain, and fog. It's September 12, 2019, We're steaming at 9 knots, wind against tide, heading North up Narragansett Bay to Newport. Yuck.

Thought I'd jump in and post a couple of SeaShell this summer in Va Beach. Missing the summer already!

Last edited:
Cool boat, Dave. Lots of character.

Thanks Al, same to you! Great idea for a thread. I'd like to make another one when it's sunny.

It took me a month to figure out how to turn our wipers on so you are doing pretty good! Congrats Dave. One question....

Where is the burgee?

Don't worry Hal, the Burgee is currently fluttering away at 1800 RPM with minimal smoke and vibration, and an unparalleled level of majesty.

Thanks Al, same to you! Great idea for a thread. I'd like to make another one when it's sunny.

Don't worry Hal, the Burgee is currently fluttering away at 1800 RPM with minimal smoke and vibration, and an unparalleled level of majesty.

Well, I guess we will jut have to believe you but...you know what they say about no pictures....

We just posted Part One of our Southbound 2019 Adventure. After some fun with friends and boat prep it's a nice ride down the Hudson River stopping in Poughkeepsie and Liberty Landing Marina in New York Harbor. Hope you enjoy!

Great to see this thread revived! I enjoy the 'ride along' on your vessels!

Here's Part Two of our Southbound 2019 Adventure. A calm pre-dawn departure under the glimmering lights of lower Manhattan turned into a sloppy day off the coast of New Jersey. After that it was some great cruising and terrific stops on our way to Deltaville, Virginia. Enjoy!

Just before the coronavirus pandemic began to unfold, the OLOH Crew was blissfully cruising the the Gulf Coast of Florida prior to heading down to Key West. We’ve got a new video documenting a short leg of our travels from Marina Jack in Sarasota to Crow's Nest Restaurant & Marina in Venice that took place just before the world changed. We hope it will provide a nice distraction…

More details on this leg can be found here.

Thanks so much! You do such a good job on your videos. All that shooting and editing takes so much time. I sure don’t have the patience for it!

I needed that little diversion...

Last edited:
Thank you OLOH crew. The video was beautiful and a much needed distraction. In Michigan we cannot get into the shed to work on our boat let alone launch it so we are so appreciative of your cruising videos and your blog. Stay healthy!

Back
Top Bottom