Old 05-19-2019, 12:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: John Wayne Marina, Sequim Bay
Vessel Name: Magic Carpet
Vessel Model: 1979 Universal Marine 42
Short Term Live aboard logistics

Hi All: I have a conundrum. I'm looking to move to the PNW, somewhere in the rainshadow. I've been in Sequim for a bit over a year, moving from So. Oregon but not sure that it is my cup of tea. This will be my final life move. I'm investigating a PNW live aboard, for maybe a year or so, to explore the various islands, for real estate. The problem is, finding a home marina - John Wayne Marina has a 2-year waiting list, Port Ludlow maybe 6-8 months, etc. This is a horrible way to look at buying a boat, but there are boats that are currently in marinas as live aboards that the slip with come with the purchase. Unfortunately, there are no tugs that I would be inclined to that are in the circumstance. One that I've looked at, and keep coming back to is this one. Not expensive, the survey is good (of course, I'd get another one), and the Port Ludlow slip can be grandfathered.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...ler-103494813/

It is being sold by the son of owners, who have passed. His parents used it as a summertime live aboard for about 15 years. His father was a CG & the mechanical/service logs are meticulous. His son has a Boston Whaler & no need for another boat. I have found a 1986 Tolly 37' but it's in BC. Not sure that I can live in Canada for a year although the slips are available. This wouldn't be my long term boat, at least not planned, just an interim (unless it turns out to be a stellar 'Taiwan Tug' purchase ;=)

Thanks for all opinions!
squimmy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:21 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by squimmy27 View Post
I'm investigating a PNW live aboard, for maybe a year or so, to explore the various islands, for real estate. The problem is, finding a home marina - !
Wifey B: I'm confused as you say it will be your final life move but then say a year or so and then say just interim boat. What is your desired plan. To use it a year and then move up? To then live on a boat the rest of your life or move to land? You say explore the islands for real estate, for a home or land or what? You're thinking of buying a boat just for it's slip but you don't even know if that's where you want to be. Seems to me a bit more exploring might be called for before jumping into a boat purchase. But then I don't know your financial situation either, whether you can afford to lose $40k for one year of boat ownership or what.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:40 AM   #3
FF
Guru

In many locations the drill is to find the cheapest boat that comes with a slip, and sell or scrap the boat.

Beats a 2 year wait list. After all its only some currency.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

More background

WfeyB, you're right it is confusing! A bit more background, I bought a house last year with 4-acres in Sequim, which is in escrow. I want to take some time to explore the islands & coastal neighborhoods before I buy again which will be my final. And I don't want to rent (move all my stuff then move again - giving the kids anything they want, donate what they don't & put the rest in storage). I have a sport boat that my brothers & I restored so I'm conversant with maintenance/upkeep (took us 3 years to get it sea worthy, now working on the galley - its moored in Dana Point, SoCal). I've stayed on it for nearly a month (with my two dogs) while visiting family, its 28' - not quite big enough so I'm looking for 35-45. The long term plan would to have a small house + a PNW cruiser..final house, final boat. Problem is unless someone has a better idea, it seems I'm limited to what's for sale with slips in the area.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
WfeyB, you're right it is confusing! A bit more background, I bought a house last year with 4-acres in Sequim, which is in escrow. I want to take some time to explore the islands & coastal neighborhoods before I buy again which will be my final. And I don't want to rent (move all my stuff then move again - giving the kids anything they want, donate what the don't & put the rest in storage). I have a sport boat that my brothers & I restored so I'm conversant with maintenance/upkeep (took us 3 years to get it sea worthy, now working on the galley - its moored in Dana Point, SoCal). I've stayed on it for nearly a month (with my two dogs) while visiting family, its 28' - not quite big enough so I'm looking for 35-45. The long term plan would to have a small house + a PNW cruiser..final house, final boat. Problem is unless someone has a better idea, it seems I'm limited to what's for sale with slips in the area.

Not sure how much experience you have had living the PNW. Sequin is certainly very nice being in the rain shadow and it is a nice community.

You may want to consider chartering a boat once your house is closed. Spend some time on Puget Sound and the San Juans in that way while you get used to the area. The nice thing is that you can charter relatively inexpensively off season. This would give you the best, and most realistic idea of what the area is like. There is no place nicer in July and August, but it is the rest of the year that will sometimes put people off.

By chartering, once you identify a place you would like to have a boat (Port Ludlow would be great IMO), then you can get yourself on waiting lists while you boat shop. Then you can decide how important buying a boat for its slip will be.

I guess I’m just saying that with all the changes, there is no reason to be in a big hurry to buy when you can charter.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
WfeyB, you're right it is confusing! A bit more background, I bought a house last year with 4-acres in Sequim, which is in escrow. I want to take some time to explore the islands & coastal neighborhoods before I buy again which will be my final. And I don't want to rent (move all my stuff then move again - giving the kids anything they want, donate what they don't & put the rest in storage). I have a sport boat that my brothers & I restored so I'm conversant with maintenance/upkeep (took us 3 years to get it sea worthy, now working on the galley - its moored in Dana Point, SoCal). I've stayed on it for nearly a month (with my two dogs) while visiting family, its 28' - not quite big enough so I'm looking for 35-45. The long term plan would to have a small house + a PNW cruiser..final house, final boat. Problem is unless someone has a better idea, it seems I'm limited to what's for sale with slips in the area.
Wifey B: Slllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwww dddddddddddooooooooooooowwwnnnn.

Observations just to give you thought and pause.

1. You bought a house last year and already selling it. Now that may not have cost you on a house but that would cost you dearly on a boat.

2. You're talking about buying a boat to get a slip in a place you may not even want a slip. To get the right slip in the right place is worth a wait if necessary. Location location location.

3. You don't want to rent? Renting is what makes sense when we don't know what we want to do. Rent apartment or house. Rent/Charter boats. Maintain all flexibility until you figure it out a bit. Sample different areas.

4. You've got a boat in San Diego. Well, stay put for an entire winter in the PNW and see how it feels. Then imagine it on a boat. Might be wonderful for those use to it, but omg nothing like San Diego. On the other hand, San Diego doesn't have boating like the PNW.

5. Final house. Final boat. "Final" BS. Was the house you just sold also your final? Things change in life. Enjoy today. Get what's right but be careful and don't rush it. Just don't tie yourself to a personal commitment that might not be right for you. I can tell you, don't own my final boat and probably never will as as long as hubby and I are both alive, I'm sure we'll be thinking of the next one. Final is what we have when we die and we aren't planning on dying.

6. What are you running from? For real, what's giving you this urgency. You must decide now. You know putting time tables on these things is as dangerous as doing so in boating. Make sure you allow for storms and bad weather. Sit back and think of what you're really after, what your goals are and where you don't know then make a plan to figure it out, to explore, before you do your next final, which will be followed by more finals. I just see you trying to rush into decisions you're not really prepared to make yet
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #7
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Hi

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...ler-103494813/

It is being sold by the son of owners, who have passed. His parents used it as a summertime live aboard for about 15 years. His father was a CG & the mechanical/service logs are meticulous. I have found a 1986 Tolly 37' but it's in BC. Not sure that I can live in Canada for a year although the slips are available. This wouldn't be my long term boat, at least not planned, just an interim (unless it turns out to be a stellar 'Taiwan Tug' purchase ;=)

Thanks for all opinions!
Very nice, well kept boat. Alas, no A/C so it is a west coast boat.
This boat will make someone very happy. If it doesn't sell soon, he really should put it on the hard.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:03 PM   #8
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Nice boat, the ER looks well kept.. great layout. Its a sister ship to my Ocean Alexander.. I think they are from the same mold. The layout is the same from the bridge fwd., different in the galley and salon. We really like the way our cruises.. and its quiet. Pt Ludlow is a good place to keep a boat.. very protected, nice marina.
Good Luck,
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

@WifeyB! Can you be my sister? Those are wonderful comments, but there is a bit of background on the quick sell in Sequim
1. I bought the house with my brother, the plan was to live together while building a 2nd house on the property, and co-habit (4+ acres). Then he got married, 3rd wife. Pretty much the same as wife #1, 2.
2. So far, all the marinas are pretty nice locations. Mostly I don't want a home marina that's on an island. Want to be able to drive without a ferry.
3. I didn't even think of chartering, great idea.
4. Boat is in Dana Point, but no way I'm living in SoCal, I left in 1993 after living there as a kid in from 1959.
5/6...Yeah, I tend to be a Type A person, get it done. Not very good at Sssslllooowww-dddooowwwnnn....except when I scuba which forces me to, which is why I love it!

Thanks everyone for the comments! @hollywood: I've been in love with Kurt Russell since 'The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes' - love his Captain Ron/Overboard characters - and all the others...
Old 05-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Super thanks for taking the time to respond...I need a knock on the head now & then...