Old 09-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #141
Guru

City: East Coast
That's fine. If everyone starts buying and installing these and if Bayliner and Sea Ray include them as original equipment or even options, the company will do well and they will be available at most marine stores.

I'll probably wait a while and see.

WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #142
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
That's fine. If everyone starts buying and installing these and if Bayliner and Sea Ray include them as original equipment or even options, the company will do well and they will be available at most marine stores.

I'll probably wait a while and see.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #143

City: Jarrells cove
had the same problem with my boat switched to a smart plug 5yrs ago..works perfect..contacts are just as clean as the day I installed it very happy with product
mysticdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #144

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleboatguy View Post
What about the female side of the shore power connections? Can I just spray some Boeshield T-9 in there every couple months and hope for the best?
I use Corrosion Block, which has superior properties to WD40 for this purpose. I use it on both ends of the cord and on the power post and boat connection. In 25 years I have never had a shore cord burn/discolor.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #145
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Why does it matter whether the product is available in marine stores when it has always been available at the best price at Defender? That's where I got mine. It's not like it's an impulse buy that you need to have this afternoon. I think it took 2 days for me to get mine.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #146
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
Why does it matter whether the product is available in marine stores when it has always been available at the best price at Defender? That's where I got mine. It's not like it's an impulse buy that you need to have this afternoon. I think it took 2 days for me to get mine.
I think that Wes' point is that until the SmartPlug becomes ubiquitous, he isn't interested.

There is something to be said for following the herd and sticking with the industry standard, even if there are better options out there. Heck, I still type with a QWERTY keyboard even though the Dvorak keyboard has been around for years.

However in the case of the SmartPlug, I changed out my 30amp receptacle on my sailboat shortly after I bought it in 2005.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #147
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave View Post
I read it Wes, I appreciate your viewpoint. For me the comfort level it's brings me is worth the price of admission.
Ditto!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #148

I hope this doesn't turn into a vhs/beta debate. Oops,I just gave up my age!! lol
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #149
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinped View Post
cant hurt,boeshield is a product similar to wd-40.I think it is more designed to lubricate,but it seems to be helpful for many here,so why not.
Boeshield is not like WD-40.

It coats much better than WD-40. And inhibits corrosion longer as it's more viscous.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #150
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
Because you could lose or damage your cord and need one this afternoon. I thought I explained that earlier.

I wouldn't want to spend a couple days and nights at a marina in south Florida in the summertime without air conditioning and some folks need shorepower to cook meals.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:28 PM   #151

Corrosion is not the big enemy of copper inhibiting its ability to conduct electricity,oxidation is,which boeshield makes no claim on.Think your water mains at your house,they are copper,and corrosion was the big enemy,copper would never have been used for that purpose,in fact,there ability to resist corrosion was why copper was chosen.Im not saying that copper doesn't corrode,but that it has a high resistance properties.From the boeshield website,they claim to inhibit corrosion,displace water,and lubricate.No mention of oxidation.Sounds very close to the claims of wd-40 to me.It may be superior to wd 40,no argument here with some additional capabilities over wd-40.I just feel that there are better alternatives.IMHO.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #152
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
........... There is something to be said for following the herd and sticking with the industry standard, even if there are better options out there. ..
The other side is that the "leading edge" is also known as the "bleeding edge".

BTW: My good friend who was repairing VCRs back in the day told me that the Beta design was slightly better technically than the VHS design . We all know how that turned out.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:01 PM   #153
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Corrosion is not the big enemy of copper inhibiting its ability to conduct electricity,oxidation is,which boeshield makes no claim on.
But if the surface is coated it can't oxidize, yes?

Just like if you polish and coat copper.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:25 PM   #154

Not necessarily.Corrosion would be the effects of salt,and moisture.Oxidation is a deposit of carbon that is a natural reaction.Black color is indication of oxidation,whereas copper usually turns green with corrosion.That is why I was saying couldn't hurt with the boeshield.But if there are two potential problems with copper,in the marine environment,both considered harmful,why mitigate one,and not the other?Especially when there are products that specifically inhibit both?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #155
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Because you could lose or damage your cord and need one this afternoon.
I guess I only considered the possibility of a plug burning up. And the moment you switch to SmartPlug is the moment that alternative is taken off the table.

If you're going around losing your 50 amp power cable, you likely have other problems and perhaps you shouldn't be plugging things into sockets.

I had two SmartPlug inlets on aCappella for 5+ years. They're still on now and behaving perfectly (lucky next owner). My only problem with an inlet on a boat I owned happened recently with Red Head and one of those old, crappy Marinco inlets that burned up before I got around to checking them for the first time. I can't wait to change the 4 power inlets to SmartPlugs...
Old 09-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #156

Unless someone steals it,same problem,just not caused by the boat! lol
Old 09-06-2016, 10:39 PM   #157
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Unless someone steals it,same problem,just not caused by the boat! lol
I guess I just stay in a better class of marinas. I've never heard of someone having their 50 amp cord stolen.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #158

come to new jersey,there were three breakins at our marina this past spring.Many boats vandalized.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:56 AM   #159
FF
Guru

"come to new jersey,there were three breakins at our marina this past spring.Many boats vandalized."

NJ motto,

If you cant Steal it Destroy it!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:03 AM   #160

so true!!