Old 11-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

City: North Jersey & Plattsburgh NY
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
Shore mattress on a boat?

I have noticed that the boats I have looked at have pretty lame mattresses. Is there a reason I couldn’t use a mattress from the local furniture store if it fits? Moisture?

I want to do the Great Loop so I would be spending quite a few nights on the mattress.
AdkChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
We use a "regular" mattress. Our berth is made to a standard size. Works great. Be aware that many new mattresses are much thicker than they used to be, so if headroom is an issue you need to find a thinner one.

If you don't have a standard size berth, you can always buy a memory foam mattress and cut it to size.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
What works great on a boat are the memory foam mattresses, which can be cut to the oddball shapes almost all boat berths have. Which is why you don't see many off the shelf "shore mattresses" on boats. Perhaps the boats you have looked at are in and of themselves "lame".

Note the simulpost with Tom.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
I have a Tempurpedic Majestic that I had cut down to fit.
Works well.
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
If you can get the home style mattress in the boat and it will fit the bed, no problem. Sometimes the home style mattress will not go through the doors on the boat and you can have an articulating mattress made that will fold to get it inside the boat. However I really prefer a memory foam mattress which will come vacuum packed so it will go easily inside the boat. Also as mentioned already you can easily cut the memory foam mattress with an electric knife to fit.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
You could never get a standard king size mattress through my doors and into my bedroom. However, a king size Sleep Number bed easily fits through the doors and works great.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:39 PM   #7

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
You can check to see if you have a custom mattress maker in your area. We have one here and we had a custom made mattress for our home and it was no more expensive than a regular mattress. And it's great, I sleep like a baby. [emoji16]
Old 11-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #8

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
We have two standard furniture store queen size mattresses. One came out of our guest room in the house when we moved aboard. I don't see any reason you need anything special unless you like some of the new foam or air mattresses.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #9

City: Scappoose, OR
Vessel Name: Double-Wide
Vessel Model: 49ft Custom Power Catamaran
I, too, have two sleep number queen size mattresses in my staterooms.
wfleenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #10

City: North Jersey & Plattsburgh NY
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
I definitely have been looking at some older boats. But the mattresses looked original and lame.
Thanks for confirming that I don’t need a special ‘marine’ mattress.
AdkChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:25 PM   #11

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
KK36 Manatees have a standard queen elevated island berth forward with a vast storage area below the mattress. To gain easier access to the storage area we replaced the plush 8" thick Serta queen mattress (76" x 60") with two 30" wide x 6" thick custom made mattresses topped with a single 60" wide 2" memory foam. Same comfort.

We do run a dehumidifier or AC 90% of the time so moisture is rarely a problem.
HEY JUDE, a 1986 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee, #46 of 99. After 13 yrs on Lake Travis she's on Clear Lake TX being prepped for coastal cruising.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:55 PM   #12
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Just before we bought our vessel we had bought 2 pillow top xl single beds zipped down the middle = a king.

Fitted on the boat, easy to get aboard.
Into our 4th year, no a/c no dehumidifier, no problems
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:36 AM   #13
Guru

We have a queen size memory foam mattress. Been on the boat about 10 years.
Its very comfortable.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #14
FF
Guru

As long as there is good ventilation under the mattress most anything seems to work.

The key is in really cold weather if the area under the mattress is not "room temp" the hunk of ply the mattress rests on can be cold enough to be a moisture barrier , so moisture will condense and freeze..

Everyone has different sleeping desires we use heavy latex foam with a down topper.

These drie out well should a hatch be left open or a port underway.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:38 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine R View Post
You can check to see if you have a custom mattress maker in your area. We have one here and we had a custom made mattress for our home and it was no more expensive than a regular mattress. And it's great, I sleep like a baby. [emoji16]
We’ve had 5 custom mattresses through the years from 4 different non-marine mattress companies. The one we’re sleeping on now is 100% natural latex and we paid $800. Needless to say we love it.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #16
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
This winter will be our third living aboard in Maryland where, indeed it gets quite cold in January and February. At first, we had a moisture problem on the underside of the mattress, actually it got very wet. We solved this problem by doing two things. Another poster mentioned the temperature disparity between the platform and the mattress. We found that to have been the problem. We put down, easily cut to size and available at Home Depot, etc., a one-inch foil-backed on both sides rigid insuating board. It is sold in 4 x 8 sheets. On top of the board we installed a layer of interlocking Duraguard decking that provides about a 1/4 inch of air space. Problem solved. NO more moisture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
As long as there is good ventilation under the mattress most anything seems to work.

The key is in really cold weather if the area under the mattress is not "room temp" the hunk of ply the mattress rests on can be cold enough to be a moisture barrier , so moisture will condense and freeze..

Everyone has different sleeping desires we use heavy latex foam with a down topper.

These drie out well should a hatch be left open or a port underway.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #17
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Hmmmm, there is a woven metal pad under my mattress.
I cannot think of a reason to add a dehumidifier under the bed. I use that for important stuff like parts and soft drinks. SMILE
I have a custom mattress and a custom hydraulic assist mattress lift system.
I will have to admit, everything I have added to the boat, for comfort, is custom, custom translates into "expensive" and over-kill. I do hope the next owner appreciates my add-ons.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #18
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
When I was in the upholstery business, I did a Bayliner that had a double size mattress in place of the oddly shaped original mattress. It was a spring mattress and only a few years old. The steel springs had rusted and broken leaving some sharp ends to stick through the mattress. It was a generic no name mattress. When I redid the V birth, I put back an 8 inch foam mattress cut to fit the original shape. I made three sets of sheets from standard king sheet sets.

These should be easy to cut down with an electric carving knife. They come vacuum bagged so give them at least a full day to expand before cutting and shaping.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...language=en_US

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #19
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I think moisture becomes more of a problem in colder climates and with installations that go against the hull. I do have to mop out a little moisture under the mattress near the hull and against the hull when the weather gets wet, but it's always against the coldest edge along the hull. I don't think it would happen if the bed didn't fit the curve of the hull, and it doesn't happen in dry weather, just extended periods of rain.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #20
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
I think moisture becomes more of a problem in colder climates and with installations that go against the hull. I do have to mop out a little moisture under the mattress near the hull and against the hull when the weather gets wet, but it's always against the coldest edge along the hull. I don't think it would happen if the bed didn't fit the curve of the hull, and it doesn't happen in dry weather, just extended periods of rain.
Have to tried to use a 12vt fan, 24hrs a day, like you do with your compartment fans?