Old 11-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
When we lived in the PNW we used a pad similar to Hypervent. It created a space/air gap between the mattress and the plywood bed frame. It worked for us.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/hype...ess-pads-39-50
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #22
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdkChris View Post
Is there a reason I couldn’t use a mattress from the local furniture store if it fits? Moisture?

It's mostly about the shape, household mattresses usually being rectangles in standard sizes. Some materials user-modifiable.

There were two relatively recent mattress threads on cruisersforum.com (sister site) with boatloads o' info about various materials and sources.

-Chris
Old 11-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #23
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
When we lived in the PNW we used a pad similar to Hypervent. It created a space/air gap between the mattress and the plywood bed frame. It worked for us.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/hype...ess-pads-39-50
Yup, looks like the stuff that came with my boat.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:20 PM   #24
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
The moisture forms against the colder surface, under the mattress or between the blankets and the hull. When not on board I prop the mattress up with one of the access covers to allow air to circulate under and have no issues. It's only when damp for extended periods (think rain) AND when it's cool or cold outside, a fan wouldn't help.

I have considered trying hypervent...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #25
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
We bought a new "Purple" mattress a few months ago and still love it. It's on the hypervent material, which seems to work as our bed is a centerline queen (and as liveaboards we run a dehumidifier most of the winter).

On our previous sailboat we used the Froli Sleep System in the v-berth, which was very effective at eliminating moisture from under the old vinyl covered pads. It also made them much more comfortable to sleep on.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #26
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
It's mostly about the shape, household mattresses usually being rectangles in standard sizes. Some materials user-modifiable.

There were two relatively recent mattress threads on cruisersforum.com (sister site) with boatloads o' info about various materials and sources.

-Chris
If you see that thread again could you post it? I'm a member over there and can't seem to find it. Thanks.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:53 PM   #27
Guru

City: Vermont
We have bought custom mattresses for several generations from Gardner Mattress is Salem, MA. Most of those same generations were conceived on Gardner Mattresses. We had mattresses made for our last boat, off shapes and all, and I think we paid for all three mattresses what the “boat” mattress people wanted for one. And we are doing the same for the next boat. I don’t know if they ship, or how practical that might be.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:26 AM   #28
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
If you see that thread again could you post it? I'm a member over there and can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Here ya go:

Best mattress? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

What do you guys use for mattress - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

The usually-useless basic search tool worked this time just using "mattress" to show several possibilities.

-Chris
Old 11-18-2019, 06:47 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Here ya go:

Best mattress? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

What do you guys use for mattress - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

The usually-useless basic search tool worked this time just using "mattress" to show several possibilities.

-Chris
Thanks. I appreciate that.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:49 AM   #30
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
If you were in the Ft Lauderdale area, I would put you in contact with the company that made the mattress to fit my AT34.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #31
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Its about time to replace the Mattresses on the Egg.
I have two bunk beds on the Starbord side, about 32" wide and 72" long and 5 1/2 inches thick. They are old foam that is thin and broke down. What would you replace them with? The kids mostly sleep on them maybe 30 nights a year.

And for the V-birth, we have a typical V-birth set up (yes it looks like a V). Its going to need to be custom cut. The wife and I are on the boat prob 60 nights a year. I see foam from Sailright, I bought the sample box but all seam to thin/soft.
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #32
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
The mattress stores will have cheaper memory foam topped mattresses vacuumed down and rolled up and in a box or plastic. With the odd shapes boats have sometimes you need a queen to make a full sized mattress. I bought an Accu-Cutter foam cutter, it's like a saber saw with electric carving knife blades mounted in it. It also has a base on wheels so it rolls under what you are cutting, cuts up to 10" foam with perfect vertical cuts.

It also does a great job cutting seat cushions, I used memory foam mattress material for my seat cushions on the dinette since I often convert the dinette to a bed when guests are on board.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
The mattress stores will have cheaper memory foam topped mattresses vacuumed down and rolled up and in a box or plastic. With the odd shapes boats have sometimes you need a queen to make a full sized mattress. I bought an Accu-Cutter foam cutter, it's like a saber saw with electric carving knife blades mounted in it. It also has a base on wheels so it rolls under what you are cutting, cuts up to 10" foam with perfect vertical cuts.

It also does a great job cutting seat cushions, I used memory foam mattress material for my seat cushions on the dinette since I often convert the dinette to a bed when guests are on board.
Thanks for the tip on the cutter!~
Old 11-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #34
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
We remodeled the stateroom area of Sandpiper after purchase in order to have a walk around real queen. Took out a bulkhead, closets and built in's to enlarge stateroom. Built a queen size platform with storage underneath.

The whole plywood surface of the bed was ventilated with 1" holes spaced 1" apart. On top of that 12" X 12" interlocking DriDeck to lift mattress off surface for air circulation..

Had a true queen size latex mattress manufactured by Mattress Makers in Tacoma, WA. Latex is a very comfortable mattress. We ended up having a king size mattress manufactured for the house after sleeping on the boats latex all summer and coming home to an uncomfortable spring mattress.

No moisture issues and the mattress is now 19 years old with no body impressions.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #35
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Had a custom mattress made by Portland Mattress makers. Latex and Memory foam with a hinge for easy installation. Very comfy!

Old 11-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #36
Guru

City: Vermont
Memory foam is wonderfully easy to work with, so very appealing for boats. But keep in mind that it’s generally a love it hate it relationship with users. Lots of people love it, but probably an equal number (me included) hate it. So maybe sort out where you are on it before committing your boat.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #37
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Memory foam is wonderfully easy to work with, so very appealing for boats. But keep in mind that it’s generally a love it hate it relationship with users. Lots of people love it, but probably an equal number (me included) hate it. So maybe sort out where you are on it before committing your boat.
I don't like the feel of memory foam. Too cushy but I don't like pillow top mattress either.

Pure latex feels more like a conventional mattress. And there are hundreds of holes that go all the way through the foam from top to bottom to provide air circulation to keep the sleeper from getting hot.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:33 PM   #38
Guru

Still shopping for a mattress and came across a Zinus 6 inch gel-infused Green tea memory foam mattress. Do you think I could custom cut two of these up to fit my V-birth? The local foam store also sells something like this and she said there is no way you can cut one to fit, we must custom make the size for you... Not sure if its a sales pitch for her to make 300.00 on a 89.00 mattress.

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Gel-Inf...8080006&sr=8-4
Old 01-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR View Post
Still shopping for a mattress and came across a Zinus 6 inch gel-infused Green tea memory foam mattress. Do you think I could custom cut two of these up to fit my V-birth? The local foam store also sells something like this and she said there is no way you can cut one to fit, we must custom make the size for you... Not sure if its a sales pitch for her to make 300.00 on a 89.00 mattress.

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Gel-Inf...8080006&sr=8-4

Research can usually shed light on some sells shenanigans. Some mattresses can't be cut down but most solid foam or layered foam mattresses can be. There are some hybrids that use springs with a memory foam top and some that use varying density foam tubes to give support in different areas of the mattress. Research can usually give the info for the various types/styles. A good cover around the mattress and something underneath it to let it breathe help keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter without to much condensation issues.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Research can usually shed light on some sells shenanigans. Some mattresses can't be cut down but most solid foam or layered foam mattresses can be. There are some hybrids that use springs with a memory foam top and some that use varying density foam tubes to give support in different areas of the mattress. Research can usually give the info for the various types/styles. A good cover around the mattress and something underneath it to let it breathe help keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter without to much condensation issues.
I think for 89.00 I might as well give it a shot.
My plan was to buy one, see if I can cut it to fit. Custom sew a cover up and try it out. If it works I will buy 3 more. One to complete the v birt and two for the bunks. The boat stays dry and warm all year long. Inside temps are 50+. With a heater/fan/dehumidifier running all winter as we use the boat a fair bit.