Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
shipping quote Vancouver to Florida

Part of my long term goals of ours for boating is to cruise the Caribbean.

Last night I found out that Yachtpath is again offering service from Vancouver BC to destinations south and east. Sailing from Vancouver is in October.

I went ahead and requested a quote, and I have to say that I'm not unpleased with the price. Its not cheap, but it seems reasonable based on the distance, etc...

They will take my boat from Vancouver BC to Coral Gable Florida for $34K all total. My boat is 53' OAL X 15' beam and 18' high.

This is something I'm seriously considering doing. We might go this fall, but probably not till next year. The cool thing is it gives us something to plan for, and a price thats acceptable.

I did not check on other prices, but we could go for example to the USVI as opposed to Florida, and that would be cheaper.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
In 2007 we asked for a quote from Dockwise from Florida to Vancouver. The vessel was 45' by 15'8'. They came back with $48,000.

Your quote sounds good.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #3

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
I have had some bad experiences with YP. I sold a 55 Fleming to a buyer in Australia, he contacted YP directly and booked the shipping. The boat was deliverd 900 miles from where it was supposed to be delivered.
Another broker in my office sold two boats to be shipped to Singapore. The buyer booked directly with YP after being told they would be shipped in 10 to 14 days. They sat here for six months paying Florida dockage rates before the were finally shipped. The buyer had a maritime attorny look at the YP contract and there was no way to get out of it even with a six month delay.
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
I'll ferry your boat thru the northern passage and down Florida for less than that.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
I got a quote from Yachtpath a couple of years ago, before we even owned Gray Hawk. They have since contacted me perhaps 8 or 10 times with each offer being better than the original. So don't sign early!!!
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
You should check out regular shipping-I have used Peters & May, they specialize in shipping yachts on regularly scheduled shipping. The prices are competitive. Since they are using regular shippiing runs, your boat leaves when they say it will and arrives when they say it will. It is on-deck shipping but their prices are all inclusive, cradle, insurance, etc, from lift on to lift off. Try contacting Vic Spellberg, 954.315.3848.

I have no interest other than being a satisfied customer. Good Luck!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #7

i shiped my trawler to the new owner in austraiia fo 28000.it went on a deck load,i pulled alongside the ship and they picked it out of water and set it on deck 123no problem
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
... The buyer booked directly with YP after being told they would be shipped in 10 to 14 days. They sat here for six months paying Florida dockage rates before the were finally shipped. The buyer had a maritime attorny look at the YP contract and there was no way to get out of it even with a six month delay.
For information only:

When we were in OZ, Dockwise was scheduled to pick up boats headed to North America. There were lots of owners that were looking for other options when Dockwise canceled.

Here's a copy of a post from another forum dated May 29, 2012. We have met the owners and have asked for an update. When we get it, I'll post it. Their boat was loaded in Golfito, CR.

Hi All, we are having a problem with our boat in Ensenada, Mexico and wonder if there are any sailors in the Ensenada area that can drop by my the marina, the Ensenada Cruiseport Village marina (The Marina at Ensenada Cruiseport Village) , and take a look at our boat. It is Denali Rose, a Nauticat 43 and YachtPath had to drop all the boats heading north off at Ensenada as the US Navy commandeered the ship. yes, that happens, surprise. Well, the Marina has been super and even sent us pictures of the boat in the Marina and even with all the promises of Yachtpath that all would be well, we are skeptical.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Contrary to what Yachtpath claims on their website, or at least implies, they don't own the ships, they do carry other cargo, and are not by any stretch of the imagination a ship owning dedicated yacht transport company.

They charter ships when and where available for the right price. The schedule may or may not be what they advertise or claim as should be obvious by the comments of others.

The US Navy does not "commandeer" civilian ships in peacetime. The ship that Denali Rose was loaded on is the Ocean Freedom, an American flag ship owned by Intermarine that performs US Government contracts from time to time. They probably got a chance at a job that paid more money than a handful of yachts and since there are no promises in the yacht contract, they did what was best for them. Unfortunately it wasn't what the yacht owners thought they were paying for. Whoever told the yachties the ship got "commandeered" was lying through his teeth and playing on the patriotic sentiments of people who had no real defense against dirty business practices.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #10

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
Hey I'd like to reopen this topic as it hasn't been covered in a few years. our boat is too large for trucking so I'm just looking for updates from anyone that has done the deck cargo shipping thing from Canada PNW to say Florida.
Any info would be appreciated on costs and recommended contractors as well as experiences...
-David
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #11
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrow View Post
Hey I'd like to reopen this topic as it hasn't been covered in a few years. our boat is too large for trucking so I'm just looking for updates from anyone that has done the deck cargo shipping thing from Canada PNW to say Florida.
Any info would be appreciated on costs and recommended contractors as well as experiences...
-David
David, if it were me, my first stop would be;
Raven Offshore Yacht Shipping Home - Raven Offshore Yacht Shipping either via their website or Anthony in Sidney BC at 250-655-3934. If nothing else, it's a start.

Here are some of their shipments https://shipraven.com/loads/ and one in particular, just might be referred to by a TF member.
-------------------------
Now, I have to admit, I got all giddy for Kevin when I read post number 1.
What an exciting adventure...then I saw the date.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Sevenstar has regular runs from Victoria to West Palm Beach.

Sailing Result

They take about a month because of three stops along the way.

DYT (Dockwise) which they also own and uses the float on ships no longer runs regularly to Vancouver. The nearest shipping point for them is Ensenada.

As to price, ballpark I'd estimate $50k-60k
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

yea, that was 2012. Big Dreams of a first season big boat owner.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
Old 07-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #14
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Raven Offshore Yacht Shipping Home - Raven Offshore Yacht Shipping either via their website or Anthony in Sidney BC at 250-655-3934. If nothing else, it's a start.

Here are some of their shipments https://shipraven.com/loads/ and one in particular, just might be referred to by a TF member.
-------------------------
Now, I have to admit, I got all giddy for Kevin when I read post number 1.
What an exciting adventure...then I saw the date.
Good advice H. Have a friend who recently had Raven do their larger vessel moving with no problems, FL to BC. Call them up or email to get particulars for your vessel.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
yea, that was 2012. Big Dreams of a first season big boat owner.
That was before you decided to come by water, through the Panama Canal? $34k was a good price. Did you get anyone to quote a land move?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:47 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

My plans and dreams are still evolving.

Yes, I decided that with enough time I could make the trip by water for one. Other family issues delayed my plans for a bit, but alas I'm still fairly young, and dreams are dynamic.

I am not sure where this journey is going to take me. What I do know is that I have the first steps completed. I have a ocean proven means of exploring. I have 5 seasons of open ocean experience under my belt. My boat and I are ready for the next steps.

Now I have to wrap up my working career. I'm playing it by ear as to wether I'll be exploring alone or accompanied. I just do not know right now. All I know is that the end of the story is not written yet.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
Old 07-14-2017, 07:10 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
My plans and dreams are still evolving.

Yes, I decided that with enough time I could make the trip by water for one. Other family issues delayed my plans for a bit, but alas I'm still fairly young, and dreams are dynamic.

I am not sure where this journey is going to take me. What I do know is that I have the first steps completed. I have a ocean proven means of exploring. I have 5 seasons of open ocean experience under my belt. My boat and I are ready for the next steps.

Now I have to wrap up my working career. I'm playing it by ear as to wether I'll be exploring alone or accompanied. I just do not know right now. All I know is that the end of the story is not written yet.
You definitely seem to be enjoying yourself as you get closer to something as yet very undecided. Even when we think we know, we really don't. Just as bad as cruising, if we plan our lives too rigidly we miss what might have been. The best things ever to happen to me have been complete and extreme surprises. I've always had a direction I wanted to go but the course to get there sure has changed.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:43 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You definitely seem to be enjoying yourself as you get closer to something as yet very undecided. Even when we think we know, we really don't. Just as bad as cruising, if we plan our lives too rigidly we miss what might have been. The best things ever to happen to me have been complete and extreme surprises. I've always had a direction I wanted to go but the course to get there sure has changed.
I think that the trick is to plan for tomorrow, prepare for tomorrow, but focus on enjoying today.

We see so many come here with a dream of someday. Make someday today and see what tomorrow brings.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
I think that the trick is to plan for tomorrow, prepare for tomorrow, but focus on enjoying today.

We see so many come here with a dream of someday. Make someday today and see what tomorrow brings.
And when you see it in front of you, don't let it pass by, grab it, embrace it and enjoy. I was once too timid and just let too much pass me by. Fortunately, I found the cure for that when this gorgeous and wonderful and outrageous girl entered my life.

I planned. I thought. I thought way too much. I was taught as a kid to think. I felt, but I wasn't taught that feelings were important. I was happy in the eyes of others but I didn't know the meaning of true happiness. Just going through the paces is surviving but it's not living.

As to boaters dreams failing, well for some there's the fantasy vs. reality. Even so, better to have had them. It's the "better to have dreamed and lost, than never to have dreamed at all" with apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #20
Guru

City: Sidney
Just so young Hamrow doesn't get drug into the sweat lodge;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrow;
Hey I'd like to reopen this topic as it hasn't been covered in a few years.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote