Shipping a boat to Italy from Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krogenken

Vessel Name
BOOMERANG
Vessel Make
Shamrock 20’ cuddy
Hi all. Looking for information on a reliable, dependable company to ship a 16’ outboard boat (no engine) and trailer from Houston, TX to Italy. I have found a couple of companies online, but would like to hear from someone who may have shipped a boat overseas. Thanks in advance.

Hi all. Looking for information on a reliable, dependable company to ship a 16’ outboard boat (no engine) and trailer from Houston, TX to Italy. I have found a couple of companies online, but would like to hear from someone who may have shipped a boat overseas. Thanks in advance.

At that size, you're not shipping a boat, you're shipping cargo. I'm assuming no gas tank either, along with no engine. A couple of key questions. Due to the tongue of the trailer, what is the total length? Hopefully, it's under 20' which will then fit in a 20' container. Also, what is the height. If it's under 4', it could fit in a half height container. Then you'd be wasting very little space. Contact any shipping company and discuss once you've measured. Moving companies can also handle for you.

This assumes you will pack and load the container and put whatever you want in it, but then no one else will access or load additional into it.

IF you can deliver the boat to a port ask about a RO-RO option. roll on roll off.

It must either be an awfully valuable boat or no similar replacement is available in Italy. Just buy one in Italy.

pete

As BB said - if you can fit it in a container that will be the best option.

Both Wallenius and Grimaldi (and a couple others) have Ro/Ro ships that sail from Galveston to Europe.

Call them to see if either goes to your destination, otherwise call a freight forwarding company and let them figure it out.

It must either be an awfully valuable boat or no similar replacement is available in Italy. Just buy one in Italy.

pete

Maybe sentimental value?? My colleague years ago shipped his old motorcycle from the states to Europe.

I admit, it seems a bit silly to do this. However, the recreational boating in Italy is not what it is here in the USA. Because of EU rules, piloting a boat over 6 meters (17+ feet) and more than 40.8 hp requires a license. I will be moving here sometime in the next 2 yrs. There are not many boats for sale in that size/hp range. Garages are small here. I want to be able to keep the boat in my garage. 20’x10’ is an large garage here.
I will have a folding or telescoping tongue on the trailer. The boat I plan to build here in Texas and will buy the motor in Italy to avoid any issues with emissions compliance.
I appreciate the tips so far. I have read about RO/R OFF. I had not though about a shipping container. I think I will be to tall for a half container, but will look into that.
Thanks to everyone who responded!

Put it in the 40 ft container.

I shipped an 18’ OB on trailer w OB attached from Alaska to Wash state on a “flat” (container w/o sides or top). Had “ends” that supported the container above. It was probably top loaded .. I didn’t see it loaded.

Back
Top Bottom