Shipping boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

av8tr

Vessel Name
Beautiful Life
Vessel Make
59 Marquis
I need to ship a boat from Florida to California. I want to use a freighter. Anyone done this before? How does it work? What does it cost?

Shipping from Florida to california

I live near you & would be happy to sit down with you & discuss this, as I am near by here in So-Cal - and north west of L.A.

You must really like this boat ! :smitten:

I did this a few years back for a friend. -- it is not cheap. Fort Lauderdale to Ensenada, Mexico.

Back then, as I recall, it was $ 30,000 for a 42 footer.

They do NOT ship to California - Ensenada, Mexico is closest you can get.

Moving the boat does not significantly add to it value, like doing a repaint, putting a new RADAR or CHART PLOTTER on it would.

Good luck.

Alfa Mike :thumb:

I need to ship a boat from Florida to California. I want to use a freighter. Anyone done this before? How does it work? What does it cost?]

It is common, easy and quick. Whether moving 40 or 150 footers, you'll find lots of experience out there. Contact a large Yacht brokerage in your area for their shipper's list - Bradford maybe.

What size and model of boat?

It's a Selene 53. I thought it was pretty common, and I thought some of them delivered to the larger ports to California. However, Ensenada as Alpha Mike indicates would work. Be fun to bring up!

That's a hike, but boating it there could cost as much, and mostly open water.

I've got some ball park quote to bring boats over from Europe and have been in the same distance range, and in the $30 to $50k range. Thought of this because I've seen some boat that really go for a lot less over there, but probably not worth the hassle.

About the only shipper is Sevenstar. They bought out Dockwise awhile ago. You can try random deck cargo, but it's roulette as to how much damage they do as the typical ship doesn't handle yachts routinely.

The price seems to depend somewhat on whether they've filled the ship for that trip. I had them quote on my 45' sailboat in 2014, the price was $45,500 vs. $15,500 for trucking (this was Miami to Victoria). A Selene 53 is going to cost a lot to truck so the difference may be smaller. If you've got it on the ship anyway, might as well go to Victoria - infinitely more cruising area there than Santa Barbara, and then it's downhill to Santa Barbara when you get tired of it.

I did ok as deck/hold cargo using Raven Offshore Yacht Shipping based out of Sidney BC and can recommend them without reservation. They buy available space from a number of shipping companies and then build/supply the reservation, cradle, rigging, and lifting using their own personnel.
I came from Northern Europe to Vancouver but watched the ship make other stops for off or onloading cargo along the way.

I expect you would find this to be in the 30-40K range.

I got a quote to last June (2018) to move a Kong & Halverson from long beach. I had to deliver it to Ensanada. Quote from sevenseas as follows.

Loading in Ensenada, MX to Port Everglades, FL loading 25-30 July
Rate: $47,250 USD Water to water
Includes: sea freight, loading from water at origin, lashing, securing, cradle for hire, loadmaster attendance, divers, cargo insurance and discharge to water at destination.
Excludes customs clearance formalities.

I also looked at steaming her back which would have cost some 30K and turning it into a seriuos cruise, but the yacht failed the survey in areas that exhuded a "no confidence " in the vessel.

Sevenstar has a regular monthly schedule from Port Everglades to Ensenada. Please be aware there are stops along the way in Golfito and La Paz.

Just shipped my boat from Fl to Ca

Just received my boat two weeks ago. Had it shipped from Palm Beach (originally was scheduled out of Port Everglades). Picked it up in Ensenada, MX and brought it up to it's new home port in San Diego.

Feel free to contact me via a pm (private message). As usual, there were some important details left out that I had to figure out.

48' Chris Craft Catalina

Gregg Betcher

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received my boat two weeks ago. Had it shipped from Palm Beach (originally was scheduled out of Port Everglades). Picked it up in Ensenada, MX and brought it up to it's new home port in San Diego.

Feel free to contact me via a pm (private message). As usual, there were some important details left out that I had to figure out.

48' Chris Craft Catalina

Gregg Betcher

It would be very beneficial to the OP, but also to many others, if you'd elaborate here in the thread.

I'm no expert in this area at all, but I did recently (June 2018) request a quote for a Kadey Krogen '48 to be moved from Victoria BC to Port Everglades, FL.

The shipper was United Yacht Transport and the quote was $48,200.

Hope that helps out!

Shipping

I just got a quote for a 48 Footer and basically you can plan for $1000/Foot.
Good luck.

Shipping Nordic Tug 42 to Seattle

Definitely a possibility as the factory routinely ships by road. It would require a certain amount of prep such as removing upper rails, mast, antennae, radar, etc. to keep the height as low as possible. I suggest you contact Dave Allen at Nordic Tug (or Buddy Brown) and discuss it with them and get some transportation contacts.

Thoughts on trailering Nordic 42 without flybridge from Alameda to Seattle? THANK YOU

As another poster gave you useful contacts, just one question here. Why wanting to ship it rather than just run it and enjoy the trip?

Thoughts on trailering Nordic 42 without flybridge from Alameda to Seattle? THANK YOU

If your NT42 is already disassembled then sure, put it on a truck and run it up here, will cost you about $7,000.

If it’s not disassembled, pay a skipper to run it up. It will cost you about $7,000 and you won’t have to pay for disassembly and reassembling.

Plan for 10 days and if you are lucky it will take 4 days.

I've done this THREE times all with the same 40 year old boat... Ridiculous I know but each time it made sense on its own. Anyway in 2015 i used United Yacht Transport from FLL to Ensenada.. They were just starting up i think. They were good but be prepared for delays with whomever you use, it's just part of the program and can't really be avoided. Also don't be afraid to bargain, and if you can offer to be available for standby in case someone else drops out. That can save a lot of money. Cheapest I paid was $18k, the most I paid was over $30k... Luckily my employer paid for that one :)

I’ve shipped 2 boats from Florida to Ensenada. My 53’ Carver costs me about $35k. My 66’ Cheoy Lee was about $50K (2 years ago).
My suggestion is to get quotes from both United Yacht Transportation and Sevenstar (Dockwise Yacht Transportation). You can negotiate one vs. the other.
One last point is both boats came back fairly coated in salt spray. On my Cheoy Lee, I had the fly bridge shrink wrapped in Ft Lauderdale to protect the upper helm and eisenglass. Costs about $750 for the shrink wrap job and was well worth it��

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom