Old 06-14-2011, 06:29 AM   #1

Shipping 40' CHB from West coast USA to Australia?

Hi folks

I'm snooping around for a 40' CHB on the west coast and wonder if anyone has an idea of what it mint cost to load one onto a ship and get it freighted to Australia?
Thanks in advance
BB
BB Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
RE: Shipping 40' CHB from West coast USA to Australia?

We ship all over the world and use United crating and DHL world wide freight.* About a month ago we shipped a big chip screen to china, and they were shipping a lot of antique cars, new cars, boats, RV, I was amazed.**I would estimate a 40 ft CHB would run 25+ thousand as the boat has to be broken down,*and a*rack/support made for it so it can be picked up.*

Let me know if you need some information help!**
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

BB Storm,
The average price for shipping plus related costs for transport Dockwise etc from West Coast USA to Aus is approx $50,000.00 (boat approx 45 to 50 ft)
Check with Dockwise etc for complete costs they have agents in Australia and usually have a set up at all major boat shows

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Tuesday 14th of June 2011 08:49:08 AM
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

I was just involved with delivering and* shipping a Defever 44 to Queensland from Vancouver BC, but not the payment part so I don't know the cost.* I do know that Dockwise was far more expensive than the cargo ship that was used though. The ship sails about once a month from Vancouver. The owner had to provide a cradle to hold the boat, but since it was loaded on deck, there was no need to remove anything, other than to lower the antennas and tie down anything that could fly away.* There were a lot of issues that came up, so having a good agent is mandatory.* Make sure to thoroughly document the condition of the boat prior to loading (lots of photos).* After loading and tie down, the boat should be examined again, by the agent and the owners rep.* We had problems with damage from the longshoreman.* They bent cleats and cracked the flybridge ventury screen.* Fortunately, the insurance covered it all as far as I know, but close contact with your insurance agent is needed.* I did hear that the voyage insurance expired the second the boat hit the water, and some damage occurred as the boat was being moved from the slings, so make sure your covered completely. *

Should you decide to go this route, I could put you in contact with the owner, who knows far more about the trip that I do.* All in all, he got a great deal on the boat, even when you add in the cost of shipping.* .............Arctic Traveller*

The agent we used was:* (I did not hire him, the owner did and have no connection with him either)

Peter Wade

LA Marine

<a target="_blank">714-638-9850</a> Tel

pawade@ix.netcom.com
<hr width="100%" size="2" />

-- Edited by Arctic Traveller on Tuesday 14th of June 2011 12:01:50 PM
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville

Check out YachtPath* http://www.yachtpath.com/
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #6

Thanks folks - I'm amazed atne rapid response and the knowledge you all have - now I've got some homework to do!
Cheers
Old 06-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville

Last month I took these pictures when Yachtpath was in Golfito, Costa Rica.* The ship started in New Orleans and was filled with soybeans.* They then went to FL and loaded on some 20 plus boats.* When they arrived to Costa Rica they off loaded 6 and put on I think 7.* The largest was a 65' Oyster.* They loaded a 41 foot by 11.5 foot sailboat to Victoria, BC.* The owner said he paid just under 10K US.* After Victoria the boat was headed to Asia.*

-- Edited by Larry M on Tuesday 14th of June 2011 05:09:37 PM
Attached Thumbnails
picture 375copy.jpg   picture 362copy.jpg   picture 366copy.jpg  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #8

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...

I do not want to post anything bad about Yacht Path but if someone sends an email or private message to me I can give some first hand experiences.
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
Per
Guru

check out some of the car carriers, usual they allow cargo to be loaded on deck which is what i think Arctic is talking about.
longshoremen are usually not gentle, and you cannot get around them, atleast they are present on all US westcoast ports.
longshoremen also make the job very expensive as these guys dont work for cheap.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:15 AM   #10
FF
Guru

Either you have time or money.

If you have time I would take the boat to Panama , and make a side deal with a captain for deck cargo. Ca$h is King..

I would live aboard the vessel during the trip to be assured the vessel was not stripped of everything.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:31 AM   #11
Guru

That is not as easy as stated FF.
Ships masters do not have the authority to load extra cargo these days.
All must go thru the cargo brookers or agents.cash to Masters is strictly a no no.
Getting on board as a supernummary is also extremely difficult as all on board must at least have a MISC card or its equivalent or you would end up in serious trouble in the end country. (MSIC or its equivalent is a maritime industry security card and is issued upon application by various governments)
Dedicated boat carriers sometimes allow owners or crew to accompany their vessels so that they can look after or do maint on voyage.
As deck cargo when Riveria (Aus) ship their boats overseas they are completely shrink wrapped for protection which isn't a bad idea.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
BB Storm wrote:
Hi folks I'm snooping around for a 40' CHB on the west coast and wonder if anyone has an idea of what it mint cost to load one onto a ship and get it freighted to Australia? Thanks in advance BB
*BB,*

I recently shipped a 40ft utility boat to Melbourne from California,there is a few things you must know before going ahead.

Make sure you know the volume of the vessel on cradle before getting any quotes.

When requesting a quote make sure it is itemised so no hidden costs exist,these are.

Cleaning and shrink wrapping if required

crane hire to load boat,transport to nearest international port,

Port charges

Ocean Freight,

fuel surcharges(bunker adjustment)

Port service charges Australia

Gst calculated on all USA costs including boat purchase,transport,ocean freight.

Customs**fees

Quarantine Fees

Crane hire Australian side

Truck hire if required here in Austalia.

I have used Tauris Logistics in New Zealand for my last 2 boats and so far so good.

Give Richard Hack a call there and he is very helpful.

Bluetide

Bluetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Bluetide wrote:
I recently shipped a 40ft utility boat to Melbourne from California
*Wow, your the first one I have heard of shipping the other way, most folks seem to be getting great deals in the U.S. and shipping home. It also sounds like there are a LOT of hidden charges, that's great info for anyone thinking about trans-ocean shipping.* Hopefully all those charges didn't come as a big surprise............Arctic Traveller
Old 06-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
Guru

Bluetide,
Good info on all the relevant charges and costs.
How did your last import go, did it meet your requirements.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Cochrane, Alberta
Vessel Name: Painters Cove
Vessel Model: 1997 Bayliner 5788

Bluetide
You also did not mention marine insurance which is a 'must' on ocean shipping as you could end up with a bill for damage or loss to other cargo on board if the ship had a calamity and declared 'General average'

Weebobby
weebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

This is what it cost to ship the Coot from the boatyard in Zhuhai, China to the Oakland, CA harbor and import it into the USA.

$26,750 shipping

$559.81 transit insurance

$4096.74 duty charges

$920 customs bond

$268 customs broker fee and charges

Having a steel hull, the Coot has four hoisting points so special slings were unnecessary.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
This is what it cost to ship the Coot from the boatyard in Zhuhai, China to the Oakland, CA harbor and import it into the USA.

Mark,* I just now realized your boat came from Zhuhai.* I worked there many years ago, putting together a die casting factory.* At that time, there were no boat building facilitys or much of anything else for that matter.* From the looks of the buildings in the photos, they have grown a lot.* More fond memorys due to your photos........Arctic Traveller

Old 06-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #18
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:
Mark,* I just now realized your boat came from Zhuhai.* I worked there many years ago, putting together a die casting factory.* At that time, there were no boat building facilitys or much of anything else for that matter.* From the looks of the buildings in the photos, they have grown a lot.* More fond memorys due to your photos
*Jeff, there are at least two yacht-building companies in Zhuhai: Seahorse Marine and Sunbird Yacht (mentioned in a Bloomberg Businessweek article a couple months ago.)

-- Edited by markpierce on Sunday 19th of June 2011 10:25:15 AM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #19

Thanks Bluetide
Old 06-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #20

i sold my boat a 40 ft eagle and put it on a ship in ftlauderale and it took one month to get there at a cost of 28000 dollars,it was picked up right out of the water and put on deck.
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote